Westone ES5
Dec 10, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #5,491 of 5,554
so with other words, nothing changes internally which will change the sound like what Jude mentioned...

Dec 10, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #5,493 of 5,554
that or cables magically change sound.
got told the same by the EU reseller of westone about nothing being changed internally and it just being a cable / socket upgrade....nothing was mentioned about the sound whatsoever.

should have my westone's at the end of next week probably, hopefully the fit will be done right

Dec 10, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #5,494 of 5,554
Fit can certainly affect sound, but I don't think that's all that's at play. Both seem to fit me equally well (though inspection of the two does show that they're not exactly alike in every way, with regard to every nuance of its shape/form).

Anyway, here's a Westone press release about the new stuff I came across when trying to see if I could find any other information about any difference(s):

http://www.westoneaudio.com/index.php/news-a-events/news-a-events/165-launch-of-newst-elite-series.html

Dec 10, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #5,495 of 5,554
That was rather unexpected :xf_eek:
Fit can certainly affect sound, but I don't think that's all that's at play. Both seem to fit me equally well (though inspection of the two does show that they're not exactly alike in every way, with regard to every nuance of its shape/form).

Anyway, here's a Westone press release about the new stuff I came across when trying to see if I could find any other information about any difference(s):

http://www.westoneaudio.com/index.php/news-a-events/news-a-events/165-launch-of-newst-elite-series.html

Dec 11, 2013 at 4:43 AM Post #5,496 of 5,554
Maybe the new cable improves sound? I don't have much exp with cables, but the BTG cable I have does show small differences in comparison to the stock epic cable on the W4R (haven't tried it on the ES5 yet – just sent that back today with a new impression for the left ear piece).

Dec 11, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #5,497 of 5,554
  I contacted Westone to see if they were planning to offer an iPhone remote cable for the ES5 now that they've announced ones for the ES50, and this is the response I got:

"Thank you for your email. We will be offering an upgrade option for your ES5 shortly. You will be able to send it in and have the new socket,cable, and faceplate put on. However, at this point in time, we do not have pricing. I am still waiting on this. But upgrading will be an option. Please let me know if you have any questions. Have a great day."

Pretty awesome! Hopefully it won't be too expensive :)

holy crap! i wonder it they will upgrade the sound improvements or just the faceplate and cable?  if this is a true full on upgrate, i am PSYCHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dec 11, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #5,498 of 5,554
That's pretty disappointing. I hope this new line isn't just their old stuff with a different connector. I'm not a fan of that connector and don't really want to pay 1k for an iem with that cable. I thought that ie50 was a completely new iem but not sure about that now.

Dec 11, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #5,499 of 5,554
from the press release on Westone's website found here

We have taken big steps with the E-Series that will be appreciated by our musician and audiophile fanbase," said John F. Lowrey, Vice President, Audio Group, Westone. "The new audiophile connector makes the cable solution conveniently user-removable, upgradeable and replaceable. We also enhanced the specialized "warm" sound signature Westone is known for. We consider the new ES50 the pinnacle for custom in-ear comfort and sound."

This sounds like its in alignment with what Jude said, in that they did indeed alter the sound signature.   I hope this is part of the upgrade option!!!

Dec 11, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #5,501 of 5,554
Yeah, the ES5 is already quite warm, I think more warmth is one of the last things it needs.

Dec 11, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #5,502 of 5,554
Mose I agree...While I really love the warmness of the ES5, and have become very accustomed to it, it doesn't really need any more warmth.

Dec 13, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #5,504 of 5,554
Got another reply back from Westone:

"Thank you for your email. The upgrade option is priced at $249.99. This will include the cable,socket,faceplate, and labor cost. The drivers are the same configuration and sound signature the same. We do not need new impressions for this upgrade. Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Have a great day."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back