Westone ES5
Jul 6, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #4,801 of 5,554
Quote:
In summary, I'm in love with my new ES5s! 
smily_headphones1.gif
 I've heard good things about Silver Dragon but are they really worth trying? What advantages do they give over the stock cables? Thanks!

Congrats on your ES5 and am happy that you are enjoying it as well!

I don't like the Silver Dragon on the ES5. On most sources, the stock cable just performed better (more balanced and larger soundstage). But if the Silver Dragon cable is in balanced configuration as opposed to single-ended, then we are talking about a different technical level.

Quote:
I think cables should be the last part of the chain you upgrade, if, at all. I remember Girls Generation (?) stating that he found the stock cables to be best with the ES5 for what it's worth. My Leckerton just shipped out today, I'll probably have it Monday, or tomorrow if I'm lucky. Hope it makes a noticeable difference

Haha its me who said that.

GG likes it it with her (or his) DHC cable
smile.gif

Jul 6, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #4,802 of 5,554
Quote:
Congrats Tiffany!

Can I ask, did you request/pay extra for rush order or faster service?

My Audiologist impression was taken on 13th June, 6 days before yours. Lets add in postage factor of 5 days (I've seen USPS ship me a parcel from NY in 2 working days) and yet I will not be receiving them until next week (assumed) which is 14 days difference at least... half a month

That is infuriating/confusing/disheartening/raises questions/heart breaking/anxiety inducing/*insert emotion here*......

I payed $990 total for the ES5s, impressions and an extra 50" stock cable. I don't know why yours is taking so long. 
confused_face_2.gif

EDIT: I did ask my audiologist to get them to me as soon as possible... Not sure if that makes a difference though.

Jul 6, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #4,803 of 5,554
If you look at the history of this thread I think there was some argument about whether customers based in the US was given priority over international customers. I don't know, and to be honest I don't much care. It is a US company afterall, and it's hard to make assumptions or conclusions when you're comparing international shipping with domestic, especially when there are more variables involved (eg. customs!)

Jul 6, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #4,805 of 5,554
Quote:
Guys i heard somewhere that the ES5s were designed to be driven out of an ipod is this true and source wise how does it compare is it more demanding than other customs?? Thanks

Not sure I can say they were specifically designed for the ipod, but I have to say they sound surprisingly good out of the ipod's headphone out. They are real easy to drive, and you will see only a slight improvement with an amp in the mix, although of course YMMV.

Jul 7, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #4,806 of 5,554
I do remember something about ES5s being designed to be driven by something like an iPod because it's so sensitive, anything can drive it well.
Quote:
Guys i heard somewhere that the ES5s were designed to be driven out of an ipod is this true and source wise how does it compare is it more demanding than other customs?? Thanks

Yes I use DHC's cable because I did not want silver mingling with my sound, and I read their cable was extremely transparent. 

I'd think the cable is really the only upgrade to the ES5 because it really doesn't need an dac/amp; a cable brings just a slight touch of transparency to the highs, making it perfect for me. As for an amp, my O2 brings maybe 5-10% difference. Of course, one could use a DAC/amp to cleanse the sound of artifacts and noise, which is what I do, but only because I own an LCD-2. I don't think you're really required to buy a dac/amp just for the ES5; I'd find it a waste of money, but to each their own.

Maybe when I finally get to try the RXMkIII I'll completely change my mind, but until then, I will sit here and enjoy my LCD2s which I decided to keep after getting my old one replaced with the new rosewood. It's much lighter and somehow sounds more airy than my last one, which my FR chart seems to show... Sorry ES5 but you're only for school now. :frowning2:

Jul 7, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #4,807 of 5,554
Quote:
I do remember something about ES5s being designed to be driven by something like an iPod because it's so sensitive, anything can drive it well.

Yes I use DHC's cable because I did not want silver mingling with my sound, and I read their cable was extremely transparent. 

I'd think the cable is really the only upgrade to the ES5 because it really doesn't need an dac/amp; a cable brings just a slight touch of transparency to the highs, making it perfect for me. As for an amp, my O2 brings maybe 5-10% difference. Of course, one could use a DAC/amp to cleanse the sound of artifacts and noise, which is what I do, but only because I own an LCD-2. I don't think you're really required to buy a dac/amp just for the ES5; I'd find it a waste of money, but to each their own.

Maybe when I finally get to try the RXMkIII I'll completely change my mind, but until then, I will sit here and enjoy my LCD2s which I decided to keep after getting my old one replaced with the new rosewood. It's much lighter and somehow sounds more airy than my last one, which my FR chart seems to show... Sorry ES5 but you're only for school now. :frowning2:

Just asking since you go to school like me do u get told by any person in perticular people wearing beats that you wasted you money on such expensive IEMs??

Jul 7, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #4,809 of 5,554
Quote:
Just asking since you go to school like me do u get told by any person in perticular people wearing beats that you wasted you money on such expensive IEMs??

If you do, think of something funny and laugh as hard as you can and walk away :)

Jul 7, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #4,810 of 5,554
I avoid people wearing beats like the plague. There aren't many who wear beats since most have grown up now that they're in college. But there are the very few who wear beats, either asians or tooly kids trying to look cool, that I know and they've accepted that either they've wasted $3-400, or that they like their bloated bass better than accuracy.

No one's said anything about my IEMs since most I know are asians, and know that CIEMs are worn by many artists in Korea, like Girls' Generation and their UE11s, so they get jealous that I have them.
Quote:

Jul 9, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #4,814 of 5,554
I haven't posted here is a while because I'm simply enjoying my ES5 instead of posting about them.

If I could only keep one IEM and one full size headphone, they would be the ES5 and Stax SR-009.  Fortunately I get to keep them all.  
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 9, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #4,815 of 5,554
Good to hear you're OK after the fire we've been hearing about on the news.

Yeah still waiting for mine, no news yet. This Wednesday is 4 weeks to the day...

Since my vendor said they would call when the they hear from Westone that they have been posted and it's approx 3-4 days after that, I don't think this week is even plausible for receiving them.

Dear Santa,

I've been a good boy, I hope I get my ES5's before Christmas this year. 

Signed, Lillee

frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back