Westone ES5
Jul 6, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #4,786 of 5,554
Well.. UE is quite a larger company than Westone, having a much larger customer pool, clientele, and a rather large company, named Logitech, owning it. I'm aware they have multiple CS reps handling a range of customers by a certain select grouping method. 

Jul 6, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #4,787 of 5,554
A year ago you could have lots of communication going back and forth with Westone, but since their products are hugely popular now they're outsourcing that onto their local dealers. If your local dealer inspected and approved your impressions, why would Westone have to? Ask your local dealer to actually make inquiries, they will be able to get answers that Westone, out of principle, don't offer to end users.

Jul 6, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #4,788 of 5,554
Quote:
A year ago you could have lots of communication going back and forth with Westone, but since their products are hugely popular now they're outsourcing that onto their local dealers. If your local dealer inspected and approved your impressions, why would Westone have to? Ask your local dealer to actually make inquiries, they will be able to get answers that Westone, out of principle, don't offer to end users.

So in the end it is a matter of company policy and guidelines to adapt to their situation. But IMO, outsourcing work to another group is never better than having direct ties and communication with the company itself. Who would want to have delays of several days just to get a simple confirmation (eg. yes or no questions)? I know this is how Westone wants to do business and I respect that, but as a customer, I'm simply saying that they would get a lot more happy customers if there was that simple communication in the process of waiting for your customs.

Jul 6, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #4,789 of 5,554
I had great communication via Earplugstore though. Always prompt, always detailed, always kept me up to speed on everything throughout the process. While I agree that I would've preferred straight communication with Westone I'm sure they have good reason not to do it that way.

Jul 6, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #4,790 of 5,554
Quote:
I had great communication via Earplugstore though. Always prompt, always detailed, always kept me up to speed on everything throughout the process. While I agree that I would've preferred straight communication with Westone I'm sure they have good reason not to do it that way.

I hoped to deal with Earplugstore too, but they have recently changed their policy to not sell the ES5's internationally as you might already know. And they have it at $900 too, which is a steal compared to ~$1200 I had to pay up here in Canada.

Jul 6, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #4,792 of 5,554
Quote:
Glad I got it when I did then. My local dealer here in Sweden quoted ~$1800.

Yikes, now that's a true steal (your Swedish dealer trying to steal your money that is...
eek.gif
)

Jul 6, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #4,793 of 5,554
I had really bad experience with westone customer service today. Everything I ask her, she simply said she did not know and asked me to contact my local audiologist. She does not even know there exists online dealers that can order ES5 like the earplugstore... She was also very impatient and seemed doesn't even bother if I eventually find a way to order the product or not... I really wish I loved JH more when I auditioned them.

Jul 6, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #4,794 of 5,554
To provide some balance, my experience wit my audiologist and Westone could not have been better.

Jul 6, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #4,795 of 5,554
Jul 6, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #4,796 of 5,554
Dealer in the loop is to allow Westone to do what they do best, make headphones. Dealers get their portion to do the hand holding. One consumer can tie someone up for hours if they are allowed to or the flood of calls if there's a delay that a dealer may already be aware of. I know some think that because they are reasonable, they should get a better response but Westone doesn't know this going in and has dealers for a reason. They rightfully assume that you used a local outlet for a custom purchase, have access to that source and a turn around of a day or so for a response is reasonable. For instance, if the fit is bad, it's better that they stay out of the relationship you have with your seller/audiologist and speak with them directly about the fix.

Jul 6, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #4,797 of 5,554
I got my ES5s 7 days ago and I absolutely love them! My audiologist did my impressions on June 19th. Westone got them back to my audiologist on June 28th. 9 days total, 7 days if only business days (Monday to Friday) are counted. When my audiologist called me on the 28th to tell me that my ES5s arrived I was shocked because during the time I was waiting for my ES5s I read through this ENTIRE thread and found that 9 days from impressions to delivered ES5s was just insanely fast. I was expecting at least a 3 weeks to 1 month wait. I got them in black without custom artwork. I didn't want them to stand out. (My hair is black.)

Impressions from 1 week of usage, 24 hours+ burn-in (couldn't wait any longer), 24 hours+ listening, Macbook, stock cables, 320kbps+:
1. They fit perfectly. (Never had to use any ear-lube. 
confused_face.gif
)
2. Deep, impactful, punchy bass. Fast and accurate. Does not sound muddy at all. There does seem to be a bit too much bass though. About 2 db less from 50-200HZ would be perfect.
3. Truly perfect vocals. If I closed my eyes, I could picture the singer right in front of me. Incredible.
4. Kinda laid back treble. Not harsh and can be listened to without fatigue for hour upon hours. If there was a 2 db boost at 4k-5k and 7-8k it would be perfect.
5. Soundstage is amazing coming from a pair of CLOSED IN-EAR MONITORS. Directional accuracy was spot on but what surprised me the most was that the depth was there too.

In summary, I'm in love with my new ES5s! 
smily_headphones1.gif
 I've heard good things about Silver Dragon but are they really worth trying? What advantages do they give over the stock cables? Thanks!

P.S. 1st post!

Jul 6, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #4,798 of 5,554
Congrats Tiffany!

Can I ask, did you request/pay extra for rush order or faster service?

My Audiologist impression was taken on 13th June, 6 days before yours. Lets add in postage factor of 5 days (I've seen USPS ship me a parcel from NY in 2 working days) and yet I will not be receiving them until next week (assumed) which is 14 days difference at least... half a month

That is infuriating/confusing/disheartening/raises questions/heart breaking/anxiety inducing/*insert emotion here*......

Jul 6, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #4,799 of 5,554
I think cables should be the last part of the chain you upgrade, if, at all. I remember Girls Generation (?) stating that he found the stock cables to be best with the ES5 for what it's worth. My Leckerton just shipped out today, I'll probably have it Monday, or tomorrow if I'm lucky. Hope it makes a noticeable difference

Jul 6, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #4,800 of 5,554
Quote:
In summary, I'm in love with my new ES5s! 
smily_headphones1.gif
 I've heard good things about Silver Dragon but are they really worth trying? What advantages do they give over the stock cables? Thanks!

I have the Silver Dragon cable and if I were only going to use it single ended would not think about changing out the stock cable.   BUT, I use both single ended and balanced out of my Mk3-b to some advantage...  They do not sound necessarily better balanced just different.  I think the soundstage for some tracks and albums do enjoy the balanced sound.  Otherwise, single ended is more coherent and focused.  It just depends....on what I want to hear and the mastering on the albums themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back