Westone ES5
Aug 26, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #3,301 of 5,554
I know guys, " You're a component fanatic ". The massive subwoofer the ES5's uses is well not so... rare.

The picture on the left is the Westone ES3X which is the UM3X in a custom shell. The picture on the right is the Westone 3's speakers. Notice both of them have that fairly massive subwoofer.
basshead.gif

Aug 26, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #3,302 of 5,554
I don't like it because it's rare, I like it because it sounds better than a bunch of tiny woofers stuck together.  The UERM has a woofer pretty much identical in size and that sounds different too.  Maybe somebody needs to strap two of these bad boys together.  Hell, make it four!

Aug 27, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #3,307 of 5,554

Quote:
I have my Sony X1061 with me now for a week and I can say that its pairing with ES5 is really good! X1061 is a slightly warm sounding DAP. It does not play lossless audio file (except WAV) but its synergy with the ES5 is simply amazing. Makes me want to listen to my ES5 at every moment of my life.

Have had Whipmod and CLAS with Pico Slim before. With the same songs (ripped in AIFF on iPod and M4A on Sony),

Excuse my ignorence but why would a whipmod affect the digital output from an ipod - I thought the mod was done to the analogue output, ad presumably the digital output would bypass this section???
confused_face_2.gif

Aug 27, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #3,308 of 5,554

Quote:
Do the UM3X and ES3X have the exact same drivers? Maybe but I really don't know. Perhaps HPA knows more.

My understanding is they have the same drivers.  However, the superior phase alignment on the ES3X and the dual bore sound tubes make the E33X sound better, especialy with improved imaging.

Aug 27, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #3,309 of 5,554

Quote:
Excuse my ignorence but why would a whipmod affect the digital output from an ipod - I thought the mod was done to the analogue output, ad presumably the digital output would bypass this section???
confused_face_2.gif

Whipmod will not affect digital output from ipod.

I thought it was implicit enough but if you need me to do so,

Whipmod rig implies Whiplash Audio modded iPod Video 5.5G + Whiplash Elite Reference LOD with BG Cap + Pico Slim + ES5
CLAS implies any iPod/iPhone + USB LOD + CLAS + Twag 3.5mm IC + Pico Slim + ES5

Aug 27, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #3,310 of 5,554
Thanks for explaining - I am unable to make that mental leap this early in the morning 
triportsad.gif

Aug 28, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #3,312 of 5,554

Quote:
My understanding is they have the same drivers.  However, the superior phase alignment on the ES3X and the dual bore sound tubes make the E33X sound better, especialy with improved imaging.

So, if Unique Melody is able to do a good job on this, wouldn't owners of UM3X be able to simply reshell their IEM to get what ES3X has to offer?

Aug 28, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #3,315 of 5,554

Quote:
Maybe other than the dual bore acoustic channel exit and superior phase alignment, Westone does something else " unclassified " to their custom IEM's?

There's always filters and tuning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back