Westone ES5
Aug 28, 2011 at 10:42 AM Post #3,316 of 5,554
We keep saying "Phase Alignment" would that be adusting the distance of the drivers to the eardrum such that the frequences arrive "in phase"? 

And if so, would this mean that a measurement of distance from the end of the IEM tube to your eardrum have to be made to assist the lab techs' in this (very critical) business of phase alignment?

Aug 28, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #3,317 of 5,554

Quote:
We keep saying "Phase Alignment" would that be adusting the distance of the drivers to the eardrum such that the frequences arrive "in phase"? 

And if so, would this mean that a measurement of distance from the end of the IEM tube to your eardrum have to be made to assist the lab techs' in this (very critical) business of phase alignment?

Yep. They use a frequency and phase analyzer to test every IEM's performance before it leaves the lab onto that FedEX truck.

Aug 28, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #3,318 of 5,554
My tips are of different length, and angled differently, which I suppose plays a part in the phones being off balance. I guess they test them to be balanced at the end of the tips, but I'm not sure whether they can accurately account for how they're actually seated in the ear canals.

Anyone into electronic music tried In Sides by Orbital on the ES5? Highly atmospheric stuff, they play around with space and positioning alot on that recording, resulting in one of the widest and deepest soundfields I've heard. Perfect for your nightly run in the rain.

Aug 28, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #3,319 of 5,554

Quote:
Yep. They use a frequency and phase analyzer to test every IEM's performance before it leaves the lab onto that FedEX truck.

Yes, on the Westone tour I took, I saw the setup where they measured the frequency response of the product.  And I do remember them saying that they guaranteed the earphones would meet or exceed the published specs for frequency response.  

However,  as for phase...in the case of my earphones, I am certain that no measurment was made as to the distance to my eardrum.

Maybe they are accounting for manufacturing differences in the balanced armatures, such that we have an "in phase" wave exiting the earpiece.....but no to a 'distance to the eardrum' phase alignment.

Aug 28, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #3,320 of 5,554

Quote:
Yes, on the Westone tour I took, I saw the setup where they measured the frequency response of the product.  And I do remember them saying that they guaranteed the earphones would meet or exceed the published specs for frequency response.  

However,  as for phase...in the case of my earphones, I am certain that no measurment was made as to the distance to my eardrum.

Maybe they are accounting for manufacturing differences in the balanced armatures, such that we have an "in phase" wave exiting the earpiece.....but no to a 'distance to the eardrum' phase alignment.

I'm guessing phase alignment is checked by the sound balance of the subwoofer, midrange and tweeter speakers as the sound waves leave the shell. What happens to the sound waves after that is simply why we all hear things differently due to our unique ear dimensions.

Aug 28, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #3,321 of 5,554
Well, I think that in development they came up with a formula for the range of how long the tubes can be, and how wide - and then the drivers can be a certain distance from the openings and still maintain alignment.  And some of the phase alignment could be in the X-over.  Plus I think where the drivers overlap in frequency response, if there are phase shift issues then there can be dips or peaks in the FR.

Aug 29, 2011 at 4:34 AM Post #3,322 of 5,554
I'm wondering if the resonance issues I'm having relate to the crossovers - hopefully "burning in" the crossovers will alleviate this otherwise I might need a reshell.

Aug 30, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #3,324 of 5,554
Not sure - I barely use the ES5 as i work from home.  Probably has about 50 hours or so on it.  Can't really hear the phone ring with customs in.

Aug 31, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #3,325 of 5,554

Quote:
Not sure - I barely use the ES5 as i work from home.  Probably has about 50 hours or so on it.  Can't really hear the phone ring with customs in.

That's only like 2-4 days of actual use depending how you want to figure it.

Aug 31, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #3,326 of 5,554
Get a flashing indicator for your phone if it's not a cell. Then you can just listen until the lights start blinkin' :)

Aug 31, 2011 at 7:42 AM Post #3,328 of 5,554
Just curious, which desktop amp will work well with ES5?

With 120dB SPL/mW sensitivity and 20ohms impedance, ES5 is certainly more difficult to pair with amps than many other headphones/iems...

Aug 31, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #3,329 of 5,554
Quote:
Just curious, which desktop amp will work well with ES5?

With 120dB SPL/mW sensitivity and 20ohms impedance, ES5 is certainly more difficult to pair with amps than many other headphones/iems...

I am guessing that the Meier Corda Classic is going to be the dream pairing with the ES5. Essentially a very high end Stepdance: better sound, better low volume control and crossfeed.

Of course I do not know. The Corda Classic is not yet released...

Aug 31, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #3,330 of 5,554
I was looking at Corda Jazz too but am unsure if they would pair well. My desktop DAC outputs at really high line level so the amp gotta have really good low volume control.

Basically I just need an headphone jack in my entire desktop setup so that I could use my ES5. Any idea about Burson HA-160??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back