Westone ES5
Aug 24, 2011 at 6:08 AM Post #3,271 of 5,554

Quote:
ArrigoShred, after reading your custom IEM review thread, makes me even happier with my choice in choosing the ES5.
Perfect custom for me.
They sound so goooooood.

Thanks for reading!

I really hope there would be some cooperative work between Capitol Studios and Westone. If there was a custom IEM with the tone of the ES5s and the Soundstage of the UERM it would be heavenly.

Aug 24, 2011 at 6:36 AM Post #3,272 of 5,554
What you call soundstage is immediately affected by frequency response. The distance between instruments, the size of the accoustic "room" etc, is a product of the recording. What's likely making the IERM portray a larger soundstage is the bumped response in upper treble over the ES5 - high frequences hold the cues by which we interpret distance.

In other words - you can't have the ES5 with the "soundstage" of the IERM.

Aug 24, 2011 at 8:38 AM Post #3,273 of 5,554
Quote:
What you call soundstage is immediately affected by frequency response. The distance between instruments, the size of the accoustic "room" etc, is a product of the recording. What's likely making the IERM portray a larger soundstage is the bumped response in upper treble over the ES5 - high frequences hold the cues by which we interpret distance.

Well expalined. What I will add to this - not by way of comparison to the UERM which I have not heard - is that you can noticeably expand the soundstage of the ES5 by using the Pico Slim to amp it. The Pico Slim does have a slight boost in the lower treble by comparsion with the Stepdance or the iPhone headphone out.

Aug 24, 2011 at 8:55 AM Post #3,274 of 5,554

Quote:

Great point you have there, but you can have the ES5's sound with the soundstage of the RM. Either it could be a very nice crossover implementation or through a headphone or speaker where the speakers are further from your eardrums.
wink.gif

Aug 24, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #3,275 of 5,554
IME the ES5 sounds like studio speakers in an accoustically treated room. The ES5 is far more accurate in this regard than loudspeakers in most applications, and beats full-size cans as well, IMHO.

Aug 24, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #3,276 of 5,554
I see!

Learned quite a lot there.
Sorry for my ignorance about frequencies and whatnot guys!
I'm really just someone thats into high quality music which I judge from my ears and I'm not really into the technical side of things haha.

Aug 24, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #3,277 of 5,554

Quote:
I see!

Learned quite a lot there.
Sorry for my ignorance about frequencies and whatnot guys!
I'm really just someone thats into high quality music which I judge from my ears and I'm not really into the technical side of things haha.

That's the way to do it. Listen to the music, not the gear. Unfortunately, not many people do so in this community.
frown.gif

Aug 25, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #3,280 of 5,554
This picture (cut out from the Westone Tour video)...is interesting, as my ES5's have the drivers very differently located within the custom housing.

I had wondered if placement of the drivers was important for time alignment?

And, I see there is a pretty big difference in the driver placement in my pair, between the L and R earphones...

Aug 25, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #3,281 of 5,554

Quote:
This picture (cut out from the Westone Tour video)...is interesting, as my ES5's have the drivers very differently located withing the custom housing.

I had wondered if placement of the drivers was important for time alignment?

And, I see there is a pretty big difference in the driver placement in my pair, between the L and R earphones...

They are placed both depending on the dimensions of the space inside the shell and for phase alignment due to the dimensions of your ear.

Aug 25, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #3,283 of 5,554
My thoughts on the ES5 soundstage:

On albums recorded in the studio...you are present for the final cut.  The room is as large as it needs
to be to contain all of the musicians, but it is not a huge hall.

You are center stage and everyone else is behind you and slightly below you.  Some musicians are very close behind you, others are futher away, but none are "way" behind your position.

There is some movement of the musicians laterally to your sides,  and there is an ocassional movement where a musician steps to the 10 and 2 o'clock position relative to your position.  When this hapens they can also rise a bit higher than the "they are behind and slightly below me" feeling.

The ES5's do critically reveal the final mix.  Some albums I always believed to have been very well mixed...well maybe not.  And other albums that I always thought to be "kind of ho-hum" are revealed as exciting and alive on the ES5's.

I just listened to Herbie Hancock's "The Imagine Project" and it was a revalation...and extrodianary, and mind blowing, not to mention sonically incredible.

And...it was really fun to 'be there, in the studio' while the recording was made.  That's the impression I have.

Aug 25, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #3,284 of 5,554
Very interesting.  Sounds like the SM3s soundstage that I hated.  Glad nothing is behind, below or on top of me w/ my ES5s.

Quite a wide variety of impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back