Westone ES5
Aug 21, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #3,256 of 5,554
Switched back to the ES5 again this morning. It is nothing short of amazing. The sound-swirling problem is reduced by using the ALO SXC, but aggravated by the Twag v2.   

Aug 22, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #3,257 of 5,554
Agreed. Though some may simply say that the changes in sound due to cables are all placebo effects, at the very least the cables are the "keys" that unlock these placebo effects :p

I found that with the ALO Copper Cable the sound of the Westone ES5s become more raw, dynamic and towards a certain extent, unrefined. There seems to be too much energy behind the ES5s with a copper cable, whilst with the ALO SXC as well as the Crystal Piccolino, the ES5 sounds more refined, but at the cost of losing its dynamic power.

Quote:
Switched back to the ES5 again this morning. It is nothing short of amazing. The sound-swirling problem is reduced by using the ALO SXC, but aggravated by the Twag v2.   

Aug 22, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #3,258 of 5,554
I prefer my ES5 with Twisted Cables TWspc (26AWG) over the DHC OCC Cu (24AWG) cable.
The sound is crisper and more refined despite a slight loss of low-end thump.
Seems that bit of silver in the cable makes a difference!

Quote:
Agreed. Though some may simply say that the changes in sound due to cables are all placebo effects, at the very least the cables are the "keys" that unlock these placebo effects :p

I found that with the ALO Copper Cable the sound of the Westone ES5s become more raw, dynamic and towards a certain extent, unrefined. There seems to be too much energy behind the ES5s with a copper cable, whilst with the ALO SXC as well as the Crystal Piccolino, the ES5 sounds more refined, but at the cost of losing its dynamic power.

Aug 22, 2011 at 4:54 AM Post #3,259 of 5,554
Hey guys!

Check out my new thread. 

Multi Flagship Custom IEM Comparisons. 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/568229/multi-custom-iem-review

I'm still working on the Long reviews of the JH16, UE18 as well as the JH13 but the ES5 is up! :)

Aug 22, 2011 at 5:35 AM Post #3,260 of 5,554
Dude, how can you afford all those things? Selling your kidney or something
wink.gif
?

Quote:
Hey guys!

Check out my new thread. 

Multi Flagship Custom IEM Comparisons. 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/568229/multi-custom-iem-review

I'm still working on the Long reviews of the JH16, UE18 as well as the JH13 but the ES5 is up! :)

Aug 22, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #3,261 of 5,554
You cannot imagine how rich kids can be in Hong Kong. The price of all his customs added together plus his newly bought LCD2 are just a fraction of his annual tuition at an international school.

Quote:
Dude, how can you afford all those things? Selling your kidney or something
wink.gif
?

Aug 23, 2011 at 5:29 AM Post #3,263 of 5,554
Okay guys!

UERM Arrived! Much faster than I Anticipated.

Anyways some quick comparisons between these two beasts of an IEM.

First off a little bit about the speed of the companies.

It took 8 weeks before my ES5s arrived. Took 3 Days for the UERM (though there was turbo service)

Anyways after listening to the UERM and ES5s back to back I don't think you can really compare these two IEMs.

Whilst the ES5 is somewhat of a Hybrid type by which I mean it stays within the fine line between being Analytical and Fun, which can be changed depending on what amplifiers and cables you may use. The UERM is strictly a analytical IEM, in that sense they sound significantly different.

First off the Bass of the ES5 is warmer and more dynamic than the UERM. 
The UERM has tight and accurate bass, It doesn't give that "atmospheric" bass that the ES5s provide.

The Mids of the ES5 are known to be smooth and sometimes "Swirls around your head" as some others have said. 
The UERM is quite different in this aspect as it is very very controlled. Overall the tone of the UERM is completely flat, yet its still enjoyable.

The Highs of the ES5 are better than all preceded Westone IEM's but they fall short to the crystal clear highs of the UERM.
This is to be expected since the UERM is meant for studio use and mixing.

The biggest difference really between the ES5s and UERM is the soundstage. 
The UERM's soundstage is significantly bigger than the ES5 and it is somewhat of an advantage.

If I were to compare the UERM to a Westone Product it would really be a flat and even colder UM3x with much clearer details and soundstage.
Whilst the ES5s somewhat incorporate the fun factor of the Westone 3s while encompassing the clarity of the Um3x.

Overall these are both wonderful IEMs.
The choice is really up to you, the UERM (In my experience) isn't capable of being a fun and dynamic IEM. Whilst the ES5 can be fun or analytical, but not towards the extreme degree of either. I would say that the UERM is more versatile than the ES5s in terms of suitability for different genres.

Either way if you get either one. I'm sure you wont regret it :)

Aug 23, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #3,265 of 5,554

Quote:
Thanks dude! How do you compare the RM with the 18s?

The only thing the 18 has is bigger bass.  RM beats it on every other front IMHO.  I only heard the demo but the 18 is just two-dimensional sounding like most BA phones out there.  Just a sound that kept me in the dynamic driver club for so long.  Some might prefer that, just not me.

Aug 23, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #3,266 of 5,554

Quote:

The only thing the 18 has is bigger bass.  RM beats it on every other front IMHO.  I only heard the demo but the 18 is just two-dimensional sounding like most BA phones out there.  Just a sound that kept me in the dynamic driver club for so long.  Some might prefer that, just not me.

Are the RM and ES5 2D sounding to you as well?

Aug 23, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #3,267 of 5,554

Quote:
Are the RM and ES5 2D sounding to you as well?

No, otherwise I would have sold them.  Might as well just have some Etys or Shures if they did.

Aug 23, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #3,268 of 5,554
No, otherwise I would have sold them.  Might as well just have some Etys or Shures if they did.

o snap

Also, I can't wait to get my ES5s back on Thursday, I miss them..

Aug 24, 2011 at 5:27 AM Post #3,269 of 5,554

Quote:
Thanks dude! How do you compare the RM with the 18s?

18s with the RM?

18s have bigger and punchier bass, tho they aren't as tight as the UERM. 
The 18s aren't as clear as the UERM and the soundstage is smaller by a fair amount.

I really can't give a lengthy comparison between these two yet since I haven't used the UERM Much :p

Though I would say that the UE18 is not analytical at all when compared to the UERM :p
And as I've said before the UE18 is really really good for rock, pop, rap, R&B and metal music. Whereas the UERM being a flat analytical monitor is more versatile.

So if you're someone who wants to be dynamic with his/her music and if you listen to the genres mentioned above, go for the UE18s.

Aug 24, 2011 at 5:53 AM Post #3,270 of 5,554
ArrigoShred, after reading your custom IEM review thread, makes me even happier with my choice in choosing the ES5.
Perfect custom for me.
They sound so goooooood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back