Westone ES5
Aug 5, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #3,106 of 5,554

Quote:
Thank you for the info. I listen to my music at very low volumes (around 10% or so if the location allows), so I'd need something that would allow for that without being too loud.

I'm very new to amps and all, so I appreciate it.

In that case you could also look at the UHA4 and get the 209 opamps on that too.  I'm just not fan of the AD8610s for ultimate accuracy and neutrality.  UHA4 has very good low level digital volume control too.  UHA6 is not dead silent w/ the pot cranked down and does have slight imbalance those first few degrees on the pot.

Aug 5, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #3,107 of 5,554

Quote:
In that case you could also look at the UHA4 and get the 209 opamps on that too.  I'm just not fan of the AD8610s for ultimate accuracy and neutrality.  UHA4 has very good low level digital volume control too.  UHA6 is not dead silent w/ the pot cranked down and does have slight imbalance those first few degrees on the pot.

Thanks, that sounds like my cup of tea (plus it's a lot cheaper than most amps I've seen lol). I'll take a look at all of the suggestions and go from there.

Aug 5, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #3,108 of 5,554
I'm perfectly content with my ES5's straight out of my iPod Touch 3G's HO or iPhone 4 even while I own the almighty rip off. The HM-801, which is " supposedly " better sounding by itself than the CLAS + Stepdance or ALO Rx Mk2. I really think the source plays amongst the least role in overall sound quality in this modern day of age.

Aug 5, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #3,109 of 5,554
By that logic the Touch 3G is a ripoff compared to the Clip+.  I think your weakest link is your weakest link period.  Doesn't matter what it is.

Try not to derail the thread either by bringing those flame topics in here.  They already have enough threads.

Aug 5, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #3,110 of 5,554
I think both sides deserve representation - why should it be perfectly fine to recommend expensive equipment that'll only serve to further degrade the signal, while saying the HO out of a respectable, modern DAP might well be good enough for most users, is inciting a flame war? Both sides should be held to the same standards, IMO.

Aug 5, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #3,111 of 5,554

Quote:
I think both sides deserve representation - why should it be perfectly fine to recommend expensive equipment that'll only serve to further degrade the signal, while saying the HO out of a respectable, modern DAP might well be good enough for most users, is inciting a flame war? Both sides should be held to the same standards, IMO.

Saying HO out of the iPhone4 is fine is NOT the same as saying 801 is a ripoff piece of junk and all cheap sources sound the same.  That's exactly where he was going.  

That's exactly the problem.  Some of you folks see this as people taking sides and you feel compelled to fight the good fight in your crusade.  By all means express your opinion on a question of sources but don't regurgitate the same rhetoric that's been flamed around numerous threads as troll bait.   

Aug 5, 2011 at 2:18 AM Post #3,112 of 5,554
I'm not sure how you knew that's where he was going, but I see your point - the HM 801 is a POS rip-off but that's not what lewisbot asked.

People who take an objective and rational approach and forward their opinions from that perspective are only viewed as self-righteous crusaders on this forum where the norm is the exact opposite. Perhaps you'd prefer if those people would stick to the ABI forums instead? Nah, I think you'd miss the heated debate. :p

Aug 5, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #3,113 of 5,554
As I understand, the CLAS and the HM-801 DAC are close to opposities in design. If someone said that the HM-801 sounds better than the CLAS+MKII, that's a personal opinion. It does not make them similar products.

I have never heard the HM-801.

Aug 5, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #3,114 of 5,554

Quote:
I think you'd miss the heated debate.
tongue.gif

You are being flattering.  There is no such thing as debate around here heated or otherwise.  Just the imposition of wills.

Aug 5, 2011 at 3:51 AM Post #3,115 of 5,554
I have both the CLAS and the HM801. The HM801 is darker, thicker in sound. I bought it befoer my ES5 arrived so I had to use it exclusively with my UE18 Pro, and boy, it was a horrible combo.

The CLAS+Stepdance is clearly brighter but the sound imaging is better.

Overall, as far as IEMs are concerned, I prefer the CLAS+Stepdance for my UE18 Pro (which is by itself of a dark character), but am very happy with the HM801's headphone out for my ES5. Whenever I am at home and want to listen to the ES5 I use my HM801 with it, but that oppotunity is scarce now, given the desktop gear I have at home. When I go out I just plug my 18 Pro or ES5 into an iPhone 4.

Btw, IMO the CLAS+Stepdance combo sounds better than the HM801 on the LCD2. You need to turn the HM801 all the way up to be able to listen to the LCD2 at normal listening volume and its thick character isn't exactly the best match for the LCD2 Rev 1.

Aug 5, 2011 at 6:39 AM Post #3,116 of 5,554
I have a pair of ES5s with custom artwork on order. They will be sooo dope. I designed the logo myself via Adobe Illustrator :)

I'm going with red caps with red body with black wire with black artwork. I'll post pics when they come in. 

Aug 5, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #3,117 of 5,554
hi guys,

i need an opinion here, is the HD600 a good pair of complimentary cans to my es5?? how do they compare? are they on the same sound quality level?

some guy is selling his hd600 with a SAA Equinox cable in my country, and i thought of picking it up
the thing is im not so sure whether its worth the amount hes looking for....

A brand new HD600 cost SGD$489, while he is selling his few years old HD600 w/ Equinox at SGD$480
Both are at almost the same cost, but new one have a 2yrs warranty while the 2nd hand one is already few years old and has no warranty but wif upgraded cables

In you guys' opinions, which would be a better buy?? or would my ES5 still owns the HD600, and I should save the money?

not sure if this would help, but i would be using my stepdance mainly to drive the 600s if i get them

thanks in advance!

Aug 5, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #3,118 of 5,554
Hey there!

I don't own a HD600 myself but a close friend of mine has and I've used it on multiple occasions.
In my opinion I think the ES5s simply blow out the Hd600s, don't get me wrong the HD600s are a formidable pair of cans especially if you pair it up with a good amp and DAC. But I personally prefer the tonality of the ES5s.

But honestly speaking whatever we all say here isn't going to be as reliable as your own ears.
Go down to a shop once ur ES5s arrive and compare the HD600s with the ES5s side by side. :)

Quote:
hi guys,

i need an opinion here, is the HD600 a good pair of complimentary cans to my es5?? how do they compare? are they on the same sound quality level?

some guy is selling his hd600 with a SAA Equinox cable in my country, and i thought of picking it up
the thing is im not so sure whether its worth the amount hes looking for....

A brand new HD600 cost SGD$489, while he is selling his few years old HD600 w/ Equinox at SGD$480
Both are at almost the same cost, but new one have a 2yrs warranty while the 2nd hand one is already few years old and has no warranty but wif upgraded cables

In you guys' opinions, which would be a better buy?? or would my ES5 still owns the HD600, and I should save the money?

not sure if this would help, but i would be using my stepdance mainly to drive the 600s if i get them

thanks in advance!

Aug 5, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #3,119 of 5,554
Quote:
Hey there!

I don't own a HD600 myself but a close friend of mine has and I've used it on multiple occasions.
In my opinion I think the ES5s simply blow out the Hd600s, don't get me wrong the HD600s are a formidable pair of cans especially if you pair it up with a good amp and DAC. But I personally prefer the tonality of the ES5s.

But honestly speaking whatever we all say here isn't going to be as reliable as your own ears.
Go down to a shop once ur ES5s arrive and compare the HD600s with the ES5s side by side. :)

Thanks for the input.

I already have the ES5, im not sure how a HD600 w/ Equinox cables would sound, some say they bring HD600 to a whole new level...
the thing is whether new with 2years warranty would be better than old/no warranty but with Equinox cables or vice versa...but if as u said, ES5 simply blows 600s out, guess it would be better to save up the money then.

Aug 5, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #3,120 of 5,554
Quote:
I already have the ES5, im not sure how a HD600 w/ Equinox cables would sound, some say they bring HD600 to a whole new level...
the thing is whether new with 2years warranty would be better than old/no warranty but with Equinox cables or vice versa...but if as u said, ES5 simply blows 600s out, guess it would be better to save up the money then.

I have had HD600 before and with Apuresound cable, the sound is really brought to a new level. My only complain about HD600 is that the mids is a little recessed but the cable simply rectified that. The overall sound signature of HD600 is still retained and I really like it.

The choice between headphone and custom iem is ultimately up to you. My preference for listening (given all high end equipments) will always be speaker>headphones>iems. ES5 tends to sound 'inside my ears'.

But different people have difference preferences for presentation of music. So it is really up to you. I can't really rate ES5 above HD600 or vice versa.

With that said, I am not sure how well Stepdance sound with HD600. You gotta try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back