Westone ES5
Aug 4, 2011 at 7:28 AM Post #3,091 of 5,554
I have a private lady who does mine. Had so many done over the years, she knows the score now.

There are some instructions for the Audiologist on the Westone site I believe. but basically you want a full mould including the outer ear. Needs to be open mouth (bite block) and deep, past the second bend in your canal.

Not being funny but you really need to get on the net and do some research buddy. You can wring us out for info etc...but you are the one who needs to understand what you are asking for and getting in return and no better way than researching a bit yourself. The EarplugStore are great and very happy to guide you through the process.

Aug 4, 2011 at 7:30 AM Post #3,092 of 5,554
Both ampcity and JHaudio do print out intructions for impressions, they're both the same.  Just print one out and take it with you!

Aug 4, 2011 at 9:41 AM Post #3,094 of 5,554
http://www.jhaudio.com/docs/Audiologist-Tip-Sheet.pdf 

Good luck with them - be sure to post back, I'm interested in which route you'll take and your impressions on them too
smile.gif

Aug 4, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #3,095 of 5,554
Guys!

I'm actually thinking about something with the ES5s...

I've always thought that the Westone ES5s required amping. I've always marveled at what my rig makes the Westone ES5s sound like.
iPod Classic -> CLAS -> Rx Mk2 -> ES5 has always been a sick combo for me.
Until today..

Well its a odd story really.
This morning, well thursday morning, I had to go to a family gathering type thing and I was late and stuff. I didn't want to bring a backpack at all and I was rushing so I ended up just bringing my Phone, Wallet, iPod Classic and my ES5s. When I plugged my ES5s into my Classic I was surprised that it sounded just the same as it did with my full rig.
Maybe it was a placebo effect or something. But afterwards I went home and kept comparing the difference between having the ES5s straight out of my iPod Classic and with my full portable set up, there wasn't a noticeable difference....

Now I have very mixed feelings about this.

On the good side it means that I can enjoy the great quality of the ES5s whilst maintaining the portability of having a 1 piece rig instead of a three piece rig.

On the flipside I feel like I've wasted quite a fair amount of money with the CLAS + Rx Mk2 Package with cables which was a whoppin 1200USD.

Since I bought my CLAS and Rx Mk2 Package from Jaben which as great Trade in Rates. I'm thinking about trading them in and getting credit to stationary rig for my LCD2s.

Should I be stopped? Am I a failing IEM audiophile? 

:/

Aug 4, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #3,096 of 5,554
If you can't hear much difference between direct from ipod and with the CLAS and RXII, then get shot I'd say.  That amount of money could be put to better use I'd suggest.

As for being a failing audiophile, absolutely!  But as long as you're enjoying what your hearing, then go for it!

Aug 4, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #3,097 of 5,554
I say work on the stationary, more potential for improvement there. As much as I like portable gear, it can be too pretentious at times imo with external DACs, cables and amps.

Aug 4, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #3,098 of 5,554

Quote:

All I can say is I get really underwhelmed using the Clip+ w/ my ES5 compared to the UHA6S.  I wish they sounded the same but no dice.  Tbh, even though I haven't heard the Rx2, the Rx1 was not a champion in the transparency dept IMO.  Many portable amps out there don't actually improve transparency but simply offer an alternate coloration w/ more power or current.  The best thing to do is find a way to hear the output of the CLAS w/o anything thrown in the path.

Aug 4, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #3,099 of 5,554
Idk guys.

I'm thinking about trading my CLAS + Rx Mk2 + ALo Interconnect package in.

Gonna get Schiit LYR a DAC for my LCD2s.. 

I still love every moment with my ES5s..

The only differences I notice with the Rig and ES5 and ES5 Rigless is simple..

ES5 w/ Rig is more studio like, more classy and more refined. Like wine and such.

ES5 Without the Rig is more Raw, more dynamic more wild..

:/

Aug 4, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #3,100 of 5,554
The objectivist would tell you that the CLAS/MKII isn't all it's cooked up to be, and that you're correct in that it doesn't make a huge difference. The subjectivist would tell you to trust your ears and go with whatever tickles your fancy (unless it's one of those arrogant, elitist snobs, in which case their opinion should be ignored anyway).

I think you'll get alot more value and enjoyment trading your stuff in for a champion headphone. If, down the line you feel like getting a true upgrade for your portable rig you can get the O2. If you'd prefer something that can double as a USB DAC, or bypass the iPod built-in one, the UHA-6s that Anaxilus mentioned.

Aug 4, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #3,101 of 5,554
I'm impatiently waiting for my ES5s to arrive, so while I wait, I was thinking about getting a DAC and amp. I've already decided on the Algorhythm Solo, but have no idea what portable amp to get. It's being connected to my iPhone 4 and I don't want anything to color the sound. I'd like it to just be a bit of an enhancement without changing anything.

Any suggestions? (I searched and looked at the portable amp section first, but would like input from (soon to be) fellow ES5 owners.)

Aug 4, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #3,102 of 5,554

Quote:
I'm impatiently waiting for my ES5s to arrive, so while I wait, I was thinking about getting a DAC and amp. I've already decided on the Algorhythm Solo, but have no idea what portable amp to get. It's being connected to my iPhone 4 and I don't want anything to color the sound. I'd like it to just be a bit of an enhancement without changing anything.

Any suggestions? (I searched and looked at the portable amp section first, but would like input from (soon to be) fellow ES5 owners.)

Stepdance or UHA6 w/209 opamps.  My 2 cents.

Aug 5, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #3,103 of 5,554
x2 on the CLAS + Stepdance + ES5. If the 2Stepdance provides the same SQ (i think it will), that's a superb setup. Haven't heard the UHA6 but people seem to like it.

Pico Slim is a great tiny portable choice too. It's a highly transparent amp with excellent volume control.

Aug 5, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #3,104 of 5,554
If you're getting the CLAS, since the ES5 is an extraordinarily sensitive custom, IME you'll need an amp with very low gain and a wide listenable volume range.  The only amp I know of that fits this description is the Pico Slim, but there are reports that the Arrow and Mk2 should not be too loud with the CLAS for most users even at the lowest possible volume. 

The Pico also seems fairly neutral to me, probably more so than my TTVJ Slim or SR71b.  Cons:  it's expensive, the wait is somewhat long (over 3 weeks for me), and I wish it had an even wider listenable range of volumes.  Although there is a good volume range from totally silent to an optimal dial setting, it jumps very quickly after that setting with only a slight touch.

Aug 5, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #3,105 of 5,554
Thank you for the info. I listen to my music at very low volumes (around 10% or so if the location allows), so I'd need something that would allow for that without being too loud.

I'm very new to amps and all, so I appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back