Westone ES5
Apr 7, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #1,636 of 5,554
Quote:
DimitrisZ you're passing judgement on sources that you've never heard. If you're only here to push old and tired audio myths, and not even base them on personal experience, I suggest heading into the Science forum (where you'll take a proper beating I might add).

I agree. DimitrisZ you are leading this thread away from its intended purpose.

Apr 7, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #1,637 of 5,554

Quote:
DimitrisZ you're passing judgement on sources that you've never heard. If you're only here to push old and tired audio myths, and not even base them on personal experience, I suggest heading into the Science forum (where you'll take a proper beating I might add).

I cant believe I accidentally gave you a thumbs up!! lol anyway, lets stop here. Back to ES5.

Apr 7, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #1,640 of 5,554
Quote:
welcome to head-fi, Dimitris. sorry about your wallet! did you have a different user name previously?

Quote:
There's a good question. 
wink.gif

Quote:
DimitrisZ, what was your previous user name on Head-Fi? Thanks.

Quote:
x 2?
Anyone remember Andrea?

darn tootin' - who could forget him!

Quote:
Thats irrelevant cooperwc, I dont think anyone cares.

it's not irrelevant and obviously there are those that are interested. why be so secretive?

Apr 8, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #1,642 of 5,554

Quote:
Thanks for your insightful response HA :) The Centrance DACport is really tempting! Is it possible to describe me the difference of sound between this and the Pico DAC when you are using them with the ES5?? Thanks again..

My review was done before I had the ES5 - http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/473473/review-more-to-come-centrance-dacport-24-96-usb-dac-amp

The DACport with ES5 is a little smoother and more refined sounding than Pico DAC > Pico Slim.  With 16/44 files the performance is fairly similar, with similar levels of micro-detail.  With 24/96 files in the DACport there is maybe a small improvement in the sense of being there due to slightly better micro-detail that improves the air, ambience and space.  If I didn't need to listen to anything but my ES3X or ES5 IEM then there isn't a huge difference between the two rigs, except the Pico DAC/amp combo is $800 vs $400 for the DACport.  The Pico combo has the benefit of being able to take the smaller amp section to go with you and use with iPhone, while DACport is stuck with only USB input from a computer.  For UE11Pro and JH13Pro the DACport is slightly better than Pico Slim which gives them more bass than I want, and the DACport has more power for difficult to drive full size phones.

Apr 8, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #1,643 of 5,554
@HA: you're accounts of the Pico Slim with the ES5 makes me want one, sounds like a perfect fit for a portable solution in noisy environments with a slight bump in bass presence.

Apr 8, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #1,644 of 5,554
Quote:
@HA: you're accounts of the Pico Slim with the ES5 makes me want one, sounds like a perfect fit for a portable solution in noisy environments with a slight bump in bass presence.

I have a Pico Slim on it's way for use with the ES5. Greater portability is the driving issue for me now that i have the Solo. My portable brick is just too thick!

And yes, HPA's recommendation was influential.

Apr 8, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #1,645 of 5,554
I like the size too, and the low output impedance for driving efficient IEMs. Unfortunately I don't have a pair of brawny full-size cans lying around, so I don't have to take that into consideration.

Which component in your chain would you say is the biggest difference-maker?

Quote:
I have a Pico Slim on it's way for use with the ES5. Greater portability is the driving issue for me now that i have the Solo. My portable brick is just too thick!

And yes, HPA's recommendation was influential.

Apr 8, 2011 at 2:05 AM Post #1,646 of 5,554
Quote:

Which component in your chain would you say is the biggest difference-maker?

ES5 is definitrely the most important component. If you could only afford the ES5 and an Apple device (or other decent DAP), that would be the best way to spend your money IMHO.

(Then again, when you add a better source and a good amp, things really sing. 
biggrin.gif
)

Apr 8, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #1,647 of 5,554
That goes without saying :) I should clarify, which component excluding the iDevice and ES5 - which I also use - is the biggest difference-maker?

Quote:
ES5 is definitrely the most important component. If you could only afford the ES5 and an Apple device (or other decent DAP), that would be the best way to spend your money IMHO.

(Then again, when you add a better source and a good amp, things really sing. 
biggrin.gif
)

Apr 8, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #1,648 of 5,554
When I was at Westone last year auditioning the W4 prototype and giving feedback, we all liked my Pico Slim more than their full size RSA Apache amp with a wide variety of IEM that we had on hand... 

Apr 8, 2011 at 3:35 AM Post #1,649 of 5,554
All this post about pico slim make me want to buy it as well.. Already posted my DT880 600ohm for trade with a pico slim. I need to get rid of my living room setup.

Apr 8, 2011 at 3:57 AM Post #1,650 of 5,554
I'm guessing its the stepdance.. hehe. In my setup the iQube and the silvercab hybrid make a huge difference.

Quote:
That goes without saying :) I should clarify, which component excluding the iDevice and ES5 - which I also use - is the biggest difference-maker?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back