Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Oct 12, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #4,831 of 5,568
  Just purchased myself a pair of 4Rs.. I'll be running it from an iPod Classic. What do you guys recommend in terms of a portable DAC/Amp that compliments these IEMs sound signature perfectly? I don't really know a huge amount about the portable world. Preferably nothing over $350 or so.

I'd choose Ray Samuels Predator. Great DAC/amp. And the DAC is sure to work with your device, as it seems to be one of the most widely compatible DACs out there. They are very small in size, and not shaped at all like an iPod... so it won't be a matched "brick" set if you wanna wrap them up together as a unit. However, you could easily mount it on the backside of your iPod. It'll just be a little smaller than your iPod. Put some little rubber feet on it, and it'll sit perfectly on a desk, or even fit into a larger pocket. The price is right at your limit, or possibly a little above. But it's a great sounding amp. And if your driving IEMs with it... the battery will last through multiple charges of your iPod without needing a charge. I've never had mine run out, but charge it about once a week. I think they're good for about 40 hours or so. Great little amp. Ray Samuels Audio makes great line of headphone amps. They definitely know what they're doing, and do it well.

Oct 12, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #4,832 of 5,568
I am currently using my w4r's with either my s3 (neutron) or my clip zip. I would like opinions if I would add a fiio x3 or colorfly c3 or even ibasso dx50, huge sq boost?  Any thoughts? All are in my price range. Obviously with my s3 I am carrying one device...I kinda like one device for all which is why I mentioned dap's but if I amp/dac my existing devices(S3 w/neutron or clip zip) would I achieve better sq than a dap? Would like to spend no more than 250.00

Oct 12, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #4,833 of 5,568
Correct me if I am mistaken however the predator costs 125 more than his 350 max. For the price of the predator you may want to look inro the pico dac/amp. However for around 350 check out the leckertons the 6s mkii is a great choice at around 279 and there is a new leckerton coming out soon.

Oct 12, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #4,834 of 5,568
Well I just got these in the mail after ordering them from amazon. I'm impressed with the sound, but I'm not at all impressed with FedEx.

The foam tips that were on the 4r's were literally melted to the plastic and I had to scrape them off the best I could to put different tips on.  This is pretty pathetic that they stored them in such high temperatures.

Oct 12, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #4,835 of 5,568
Well I just got these in the mail after ordering them from amazon. I'm impressed with the sound, but I'm not at all impressed with FedEx.

The foam tips that were on the 4r's were literally melted to the plastic and I had to scrape them off the best I could to put different tips on.  This is pretty pathetic that they stored them in such high temperatures.
Let Amazon know and they should issue a partial refund for the mishandling of your item

Oct 12, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #4,836 of 5,568
  OK so 6 days with the W4R. Definitely superior to the vsonic gr07 and brainwavz b2 in sound, in every way. However, it is not nearly as comfortable. The nozzles are at the wrong angle and the body of the iem is a tad too big for me. I can't really use it for more than 2 hours without having to take them out. I hear a lot more background ticking noise noise with the W4R, is that the music or the dac?

what quality of music files are you using? doesnt sound like it would be the IEM's as they wouldnt themselves produce any sound without something providing sound, so IMO i think it could be the dac or other source components 

Good to hear. How does the 4R sound on your sr71b/clas rig balanced?

i was  using the W4R with the sr-71b and the original clas, are they have excellent synergy Not a cheap setup but worth it IMO, I personally love wolfson Dac Chips, which is why i prefer the original clas, however its limited in processing power as its only 16 bit, and doesnt support 24/192....but either way its a exceptional DAC esp for the price you can get them for nowadays. the only problem i find is i hate the ipod even through it just becomes a media carrying front i still dont like dealing with itunes at all.

i have since went from the CLAS to the ibasso db2 Dac with dual wolfson dac chips along with 24/192 capability...im now using the Iriver ihp-140 which IMO is a Gem, ALSO love the 2 paired together with a sys-concept custom fiber optic cable all cables paired with toxic silver posion....all balanced input and output.....the w4r SING and they SING phenomenally... 

personally i dont think i am going to get rid of my w4r, if anything i will keep them and get something else if i decide to get something else...thus far without going to the 1k mark do i personally think you will get such reference quality as you do  with the W4r....and once you start dabbling in interconnects,cables,dacs and amps the w4r REALLY then come to life.....its just finding that niche between cables dacs and amps what pairs the best ect ect ect. if you like your wallet to have money in it,  i suggest just listening to the w4r with a dap of some sort lol

Oct 14, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #4,838 of 5,568
Arrg the angle of the nozzles are killing my ears 
mad.gif
 Can anyone recommend a W4 or equivalent that's more comfy?

Oct 14, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #4,840 of 5,568
Have you tried the heir line? I thought the the 4.ai was pretty comfortable. I could fit it in faster and easier than the 4r.

I'm guessing that's another company? The problem I have with the W4R is the angle of the nozzle, which is too steep. The 4.ai doesn't look like it's any better. I need something where the nozzles are almost 45 degrees to the body.

Oct 14, 2013 at 5:56 AM Post #4,841 of 5,568
  I'm guessing that's another company? The problem I have with the W4R is the angle of the nozzle, which is too steep. The 4.ai doesn't look like it's any better. I need something where the nozzles are almost 45 degrees to the body.

The Vsonic GR07 has adjustable nozzle. It's got a single dynamic driver and in terms of sound is even more neutral than the W4R. Clarity and detail suffers abit though but it can be found for less than $200 new and less than $150 used so for that price no complaints.

Oct 14, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #4,842 of 5,568
If you prefer a dac/amp in your price range take a look at the leckertons especially the uha 6s mkii.

I own the USA-6S.MKII and can report that is an excellent DAC/AMP. Previously, I had an iBasso D-Zero that was noisy (GSM, et al.) and encountered lots of unacceptable interference, especially using the USB connections. I got "zero" help from iBasso tech support. They continued to insist that any noise had to be coming from my source (e.g., Galaxy Note II). After writing to Nick and describing my situation/equipment, he explained that many amps are susceptible to interference, but his are specially engineered to minimize such impacts; in particular, he recommended the AD8610 op-amp and it turned out exactly as he predicted. 

Oct 14, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #4,843 of 5,568

The Vsonic GR07 has adjustable nozzle. It's got a single dynamic driver and in terms of sound is even more neutral than the W4R. Clarity and detail suffers abit though but it can be found for less than $200 new and less than $150 used so for that price no complaints.

I upgraded from the GR07, see my sig 
wink.gif

Oct 14, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #4,844 of 5,568
Sorry, I haven't read through this entire post to see if this has been addressed, but I'm thinking of selling my Westone 4's, and looking at Westone's website, it appears that the warranty only applies to the original owner.  Is this correct?  Thanks!

Oct 15, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #4,845 of 5,568
This is common headfi mythology but it isn't true. I have perceived differences between cables (which I struggle to try and explain), but whatever those differences actually are, they do not amount to measurable differences in FR (irrespective of the material used). This is actually acknowledged by reputable cable makers who agree that the improvements many perceive are not detected by standard measurement techniques. rmaa and diffmaker, for example, shed no light on why certain cables and cable geometries seem to sound better than others - at least to many of us. Perhaps some super subtle impact on phase and reduction in cross-talk?

Regardless, that silver has higher conductivity than copper bears no relation to common but erroneous claims that copper is warmer and silver more transparent or extended.

I've read a lot about the argument. Pro-silver/upgrade cables say they hear noticeable differences between cables. Some on the other side of the fence argue that silver cables have no benefit because no measurable differences have been recorded. People have proposed counter-arguments to that, but...nothing I read has made me feel sure one way or another. 

I've never listened to a silver cable myself, so I do appreciate you pointing out this counter argument – I should have been clear I was not speaking from experience (and certainly not any expertise) on the subject.

I use a copper cable. In part because copper is cheaper than silver and in part because I don't want to spend money to risk changing the sound of the W4R. I have the ATH-CK100PRO for when I need a bright sound and blazing speed. In my listening experience, my W4R with the copper BTG-Audio cable sounds better than the stock copper cable. Above my perceived sonic improvements, the BTG cable is definitely more sturdy...ymmv.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back