Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Oct 15, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #4,846 of 5,568
  OK so 6 days with the W4R. Definitely superior to the vsonic gr07 and brainwavz b2 in sound, in every way. However, it is not nearly as comfortable. The nozzles are at the wrong angle and the body of the iem is a tad too big for me. I can't really use it for more than 2 hours without having to take them out. I hear a lot more background ticking noise noise with the W4R, is that the music or the dac?

Fit is such a personal and interesting thing...have the GR07 (original), W3 and W4's, find the GR07, with the odd base they have, impossible to get a good fit with, adjustable nozzle and all. I also find the sound lean and boring, and like the Westone sound much more. The base of the Westones just seems to work in my ears.

X3 and the Westones are a great match...have taken to using the X3 with an external amp (ALO National), it has line out so you can do it, more neutral imo.

Oct 15, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #4,847 of 5,568
Well I dont find it a argument as much as its more of objective vs subjective reasoning.

I am just using my subjective reasoning and my experiences with silver to govern my opinion about the cables.

But again its just a opinion. People in the end will make whatever choice that best governs their wallets.

Oct 15, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #4,848 of 5,568
Does anyone else find these sound a bit veiled? I mean, I do really enjoy them, but for my tastes the mids aren't really aggressive enough and the treble certainly feels rolled off and not really any nice sparkle. Granted, I am playing unamped from an iPod classic 7th gen.

Oct 16, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #4,849 of 5,568
Does anyone else find these sound a bit veiled? I mean, I do really enjoy them, but for my tastes the mids aren't really aggressive enough and the treble certainly feels rolled off and not really any nice sparkle. Granted, I am playing unamped from an iPod classic 7th gen.

What tips are you using?

Oct 16, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #4,851 of 5,568

Yeah, they do have a little treble roll off, which actually makes them good for long term listening.  When I want a little more sparkle, I'll use my Final Audio iem's.  I read that using a 100ohm resistor eliminates some lower mid bloat and brightens up the treble, so I bought one, and there is a tiny bit (to my ears) more treble clarity.  May just be psychological though!  Tips do make considerable difference with W4's, and as you've probably read, there is a lot of tip rolling going on with these.

Oct 16, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #4,852 of 5,568

i would say its your DAP. 

if you want aggressive mids i think the se535 would better suite your needs. the westone w4 are a reference iem. no one frequency is emphasized more than another. when taking that into consideration the w4 are one of the best universal for reference sound.

Tips do play a huge roll in what you hear and what is more or less emphasized. if you are trying to get great sound out of the star tip kit forget it.

as far as perceiving a veil, i always read that. and i totally hear no veil whatsoever...of course im not using your everyday equipment with the w4 which seems many ppl do then come up with a decision on how well they sound.

also as far as the treble is concerned again depends on what dap or what amp and dac you are using, personally i owned the se535-ltd-j and i think the w4r treble extend farther than the ltd-j. there really to me isnt any treble ceiling i can  perceive, cymbals for instance crash and the decay for the cymbals last for as long as the cymbals can be perceived..imo pretty impressive. 

i really do think its your dap, a good amp, a good line out doc, would change your mind for sure.

Oct 16, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #4,853 of 5,568
i would say its your DAP. 

if you want aggressive mids i think the se535 would better suite your needs. the westone w4 are a reference iem. no one frequency is emphasized more than another. when taking that into consideration the w4 are one of the best universal for reference sound.

Tips do play a huge roll in what you hear and what is more or less emphasized. if you are trying to get great sound out of the star tip kit forget it.

as far as perceiving a veil, i always read that. and i totally hear no veil whatsoever...of course im not using your everyday equipment with the w4 which seems many ppl do then come up with a decision on how well they sound.

also as far as the treble is concerned again depends on what dap or what amp and dac you are using, personally i owned the se535-ltd-j and i think the w4r treble extend farther than the ltd-j. there really to me isnt any treble ceiling i can  perceive, cymbals for instance crash and the decay for the cymbals last for as long as the cymbals can be perceived..imo pretty impressive. 

i really do think its your dap, a good amp, a good line out doc, would change your mind for sure.

Thumbs up! W4 is truly a gem!

Oct 16, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #4,854 of 5,568
Thumbs up! W4 is truly a gem!

I completely agree, i think my w4r are staying in my collection. i recently was able to pick up a pair of shure se535 bronze for pretty cheap..i love the se535...but not enough to get rid of my w4r, i still want a IEM that isnt a arm and a leg that produces exceptional reference sound quality.

so why not have my cake and eat it too....when i owned the se535 i found them to be also a phenomenal IEM in their own right..different from the w4r but still a excellent sounding iem, i loved their aggressive forward mids. just overall felt it was a excellent iem, esp what it can do with just 3 balanced armatures.

Oct 16, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #4,855 of 5,568
Ok so I've decided I can't stand the discomfort of the w4r. Now, I do like the sound and want to keep it but I need to either mod the w4r (reshell) or get a custom iem that sounds like the w4r. What are your thoughts?

Oct 16, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #4,857 of 5,568
  Ok so I've decided I can't stand the discomfort of the w4r. Now, I do like the sound and want to keep it but I need to either mod the w4r (reshell) or get a custom iem that sounds like the w4r. What are your thoughts?

Have you considered doing something like this? I made myself a pair of these but like the original tips better, only because it doesnt take as much time to put in. I used a tube from a set of tips that I knew I wouldnt use in the center of my pair.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rnmwllxh_Xg

Oct 16, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #4,859 of 5,568

If you decide to reshell, you may try to bend the nozzle a little bit, you can send it in for the reshell if anything goes wrong. 

My w4 fell between the car doors as I closed it a couple of weeks ago, I was happy that the nozzle cracked slightly at the opening and that it was bent a bit. I was able to bend it back with some tweezers (careful not to use tweezers with teeth) and with the tips on, you can't even tell there's anything wrong with them.

Great construction on westone's part, this happened to my Shure E500, the shell broke apart immediately and Shure refused to fix it even if I paid, that was when there were cable problems with the E500...

Oct 16, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #4,860 of 5,568
Standard grey cushy ones that came with them. Will be buying a pair of star tips to try though..
That's what I assumed you were using. Try some of the other tips in a size that fits and let us know what you think, then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back