Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Sep 21, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #4,636 of 5,568
Wow you have a few Amps huh.. Sweet.. I'm really interested in the Alo mk2.. I have the Alo continental v3 and really like it.. I do really wish it had a little more of a v sound to it cause it's really neutral very clean with lots of detail.. But sometimes I want a little more umph in the bottom end ya know.. Do you think the mk2 would be a upgrade to me?? I really wish the v3 came with that option with some sort of bass dial.. Everything else about the amp I really love..

Sep 21, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #4,637 of 5,568
Wow you have a few Amps huh.. Sweet.. I'm really interested in the Alo mk2.. I have the Alo continental v3 and really like it.. I do really wish it had a little more of a v sound to it cause it's really neutral very clean with lots of detail.. But sometimes I want a little more umph in the bottom end ya know.. Do you think the mk2 would be a upgrade to me?? I really wish the v3 came with that option with some sort of bass dial.. Everything else about the amp I really love..

hmmm upgrade, thats hard to say. 

the ALO MK2 has slam,impact and gets low in the bass region. the mk2 is a really good amp, its hard to say weather or not it would be a upgrade or not. you might get the bass you are looking for, but it might lack the details and very clean sound you get from the mk2.

to me, the mk2 was more on the Aggressive side. ive never used the V3, but the mk2 was clean, i would say slightly Aggressive in the mids and highs which seemed to present a little more of a brighter sound. but with slam and impact of the lows.......

are you using any kind of dac?

Sep 21, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #4,638 of 5,568
hmmm upgrade, thats hard to say. 

the ALO MK2 has slam,impact and gets low in the bass region. the mk2 is a really good amp, its hard to say weather or not it would be a upgrade or not. you might get the bass you are looking for, but it might lack the details and very clean sound you get from the mk2.

to me, the mk2 was more on the Aggressive side. ive never used the V3, but the mk2 was clean, i would say slightly Aggressive in the mids and highs which seemed to present a little more of a brighter sound. but with slam and impact of the lows.......

are you using any kind of dac?
thanks... No I'm not using any dac.. I probably should though.. I was looking at the solo I think it's called.. But that would probably be a good idea huh?.. And thanks for the reply! :)

Sep 21, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #4,639 of 5,568
thanks... No I'm not using any dac.. I probably should though.. I was looking at the solo I think it's called.. But that would probably be a good idea huh?.. And thanks for the reply! :)

i was using the algorhythm solo with the mk2, and they have excellent synergy. the original SOLO is the best IMO, the newer ones like the -db have a balanced imput and output, but unless you are going to go with the mk3 - +B Amp with a in and out balance that you can fully use balanced in and out, i dont know that its 100% worth it.

the newer cypher labs CLAS have the AKM Chip's vs the original has a referance  series wolfson.

i feel the wolfson  solo has better bass than the akm chip seems a little more thin.

i Sold my SOLO and went to the Ibasso db2 so i could use the iriver ihp-140 with fiber optic output. IMO the db2 has excellent bass its much like the CLAS but obviously they are simular and different as they both use the wolfson dac chip so they are going to sound simular and different as the same time.

in my expierence, with the hpp1 it too is using the akm chip and it feels a little sterile and cold, IMO thats the AKM chip it sounds a stitch thin and calculated.

where as the wolfson dac chip is warmer, it has better bass, and give you a sense of space to everything.

once i went with a DAC i never went back to no DAC, i dont care what amp im using, im going to be using that amp with a dac, the dac just seems to add so much more to the whole equation. if you go to a dac, you will see that.

Sep 21, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #4,640 of 5,568
New Westone 4R convert here. I just received them, and I suspect I soon will be head over heels in love with them.

They fit well. They are easy to place in the ears. They sound amazing to my discerning but non-audiophile ears. They feel and look solid. And the foam eartips are better than the Comply eartips I used in my UE900s. Even if they don't last longer than the 3 weeks the Complys used to last, they are cheaper.

My UE900s made me miserable for the last 8 months. I'm hopeful the Westones will put an end to this.

Welcome to the club! =)

Sep 21, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #4,641 of 5,568
i was using the algorhythm solo with the mk2, and they have excellent synergy. the original SOLO is the best IMO, the newer ones like the -db have a balanced imput and output, but unless you are going to go with the mk3 - +B Amp with a in and out balance that you can fully use balanced in and out, i dont know that its 100% worth it.

the newer cypher labs CLAS have the AKM Chip's vs the original has a referance  series wolfson.

i feel the wolfson  solo has better bass than the akm chip seems a little more thin.

i Sold my SOLO and went to the Ibasso db2 so i could use the iriver ihp-140 with fiber optic output. IMO the db2 has excellent bass its much like the CLAS but obviously they are simular and different as they both use the wolfson dac chip so they are going to sound simular and different as the same time.

in my expierence, with the hpp1 it too is using the akm chip and it feels a little sterile and cold, IMO thats the AKM chip it sounds a stitch thin and calculated.

where as the wolfson dac chip is warmer, it has better bass, and give you a sense of space to everything.

once i went with a DAC i never went back to no DAC, i dont care what amp im using, im going to be using that amp with a dac, the dac just seems to add so much more to the whole equation. if you go to a dac, you will see that.
thanks a lot.. Think Imight llook into the ibasso too.. I'm going to try the solo before I do and see how I like it.. But getting a dac will definitely improve things..

Sep 23, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #4,642 of 5,568

W4r Bliss.
biggrin.gif

Sep 24, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #4,644 of 5,568
This is what I'm currently rocking

beerchug.gif

Also, I'm trying to find a good way to do a small paint job on the outer half of the shell. I want it to say 4R instead of just 4, since it has been modded to 4R. I don't want the same 4R design, I'm not trying to trick anyone or anything like that. 

Sep 24, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #4,645 of 5,568
  This is what I'm currently rocking
beerchug.gif

Also, I'm trying to find a good way to do a small paint job on the outer half of the shell. I want it to say 4R instead of just 4, since it has been modded to 4R. I don't want the same 4R design, I'm not trying to trick anyone or anything like that. 

Nice setup!:)

I did a paint job on my triplefi10 before. not easy.
confused_face.gif
. considering the surface of the w4 its going to be hard to get the paint to last. i had to do 2 coating of surface coating, 3 coating of metallic paint and 2 coating of clear coating for my TF10 before. took me 1 1/2 weeks to finish the paint job. time consuming. takes a lot of patience. goodluck anyways!=)

Here is a pic of my previous TF10 metallic blue paint job.

Sep 24, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #4,647 of 5,568
I was thinking I would paint the outer half of the shell white and then use this color scheme for the decal. I'm not for sure what I'm going to do, but I'd like to make the right half fade into flames or something. It's only going to be 1/4" wide so it cant be too detailed.

Sep 24, 2013 at 3:10 AM Post #4,648 of 5,568
  I was thinking I would paint the outer half of the shell white and then use this color scheme for the decal. I'm not for sure what I'm going to do, but I'd like to make the right half fade into flames or something. It's only going to be 1/4" wide so it cant be too detailed.

Maybe u can try to search for those professional miniature model painting services.

I'm trying to find a site that sells the shell alone so I don't have to sacrifice not listening to them for a week or so while I customize it. Anyone know where I can find just the shell?

Im not sure where one could purchase just the shells.

Sep 24, 2013 at 4:12 AM Post #4,649 of 5,568
  Maybe u can try to search for those professional miniature model painting services.

Im not sure where one could purchase just the shells.

I'm just going to DIY it. I'm going to buy decal paper and print the decal myself as well. This is the updated image that I'll probably go with. I decided to go with the original design and still use the orange, and at the same time say that it is modded.

Thanks for the response! I didn't realize there were those kinds of services out there, that's pretty cool! I do all my mods myself though 
wink_face.gif

Sep 24, 2013 at 4:17 AM Post #4,650 of 5,568
Different strokes for different folks :p I think I bought the W4 back when the W4R had been freshly released and available on earphonesolutions and there was a big Black Friday sale to go along with it as well. I could have gotten the 4R. Really I should have. It would have been the practical thing to do. But that R was just so aesthetically garish to me. If I won another W4R or something I think I might even opt to erase the R myself.

But again, different strokes...if everyone had the same aesthetic vision as me we'd all have been dead a long time ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back