Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Sep 16, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #4,621 of 5,568
again it really depends on what your other equipment is besides the W4/R.

ive used a bit of amps,dacs and interconnects and cables with the w4r, and the w4r are capable of forward mids just like the se535-ltd-j, capable of the soundstage and fastness like the akg k701.

its true, that the w4/r does emphasize on any one particular aspect of sound. however when you start altering your cables,interconnects dacs and amps, the w4/r sound signature changes significantly!

Sep 17, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #4,622 of 5,568
Hey guys, I just began looking at amps, but I always thought the general reason to get an amp for headphones is for an impedance mismatch. Many of the portable amps I have seen have an even lower impedance than my source device (iphone 5) which seems to be further from matching than going just directly out of the device. Am I mistaken about amps, or is there an amp closer to the W4R's impedance of 31 ohms?

Edit: nevermind i see the ranges now, whoops =D

Sep 17, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #4,623 of 5,568
 Am I mistaken about amps, or is there an amp closer to the W4R's impedance of 31 ohms?

Do you mean an output impedance of 31 ohm? I don't know...but I think that is not a good idea with balanced armatures. In general, with balanced armatures, I think it is recommended not to have your output impedance exceed 2. But I honestly know very little about this stuff...

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #4,624 of 5,568
I don't have much more than a basic understanding of amps. I don't yet understand all of the math or variables that go into calculating how much current and voltage you need for a set of phones... However, it bothered me, before I bought a Pico Slim, that I heard static noise, even with an external DAC. I knew the amp was outputting too much power, that I was getting too much gain. For example, I was using an Audioquest Dragonfly, which is awesome for actual headphones instead of sensitive IEMs. The Headamp Pico Slim (designed for IEMs) coupled with the Audioquest DAC portion really made a difference in SQ. Now I have a Schiit Gungnir (overkill for now, perhaps, but not for later when I eventually upgrade to a balanced system or full-size headphone system).

I recommend an external DAC (and, if possible, a suitable amp) for everybody with the W4/R. Eliminating the noise floor has always been the best improvement in sound for me. The amp will also influence your noise floor, but an external DAC will clean up the music beyond noise. Sharper, more prominent details overall. 

Basic Note: External DACs, just DACs, will require you to purchase an external amp. The DAC by itself probably cannot power your earphones. For $250 the Dragonfly DAC/amp combo works, just not as good as separate components specific to the W4s needs.

Sep 18, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #4,625 of 5,568
New Westone 4R convert here. I just received them, and I suspect I soon will be head over heels in love with them.

They fit well. They are easy to place in the ears. They sound amazing to my discerning but non-audiophile ears. They feel and look solid. And the foam eartips are better than the Comply eartips I used in my UE900s. Even if they don't last longer than the 3 weeks the Complys used to last, they are cheaper.

My UE900s made me miserable for the last 8 months. I'm hopeful the Westones will put an end to this.

Sep 18, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #4,627 of 5,568

Definitely one of the easiest, most comfortable and least offensive earphones to live with! 

Two hours of Green Day, My Chemical Romance, Mozart, Beethoven, Iron Maiden, The Incredible Bongo Band, Tori Amos and Dido... I am in love with my music and my iPod again.

With the smallest True-Fit tips, the blues and greens, I forget they are in my ears. You can tell they really designed these to be comfortable.

I'm trying to decide whether to stock up on the blue or greens, I have to spend a couple of days trying both out, to see which have better sound for my ears and/or are more comfortable.

I should have bought these many months ago.

Sep 19, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #4,628 of 5,568
Is it true that if I add e 100Ohm adapter that the midbass bloat will tam down? sorry for my English :3 + I f I add e 100Ohm's adapter do I need to run the IEm's through a amp? if so what would be best under 200$

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #4,629 of 5,568
Is it true that if I add e 100Ohm adapter that the midbass bloat will tam down? sorry for my English :3 + I f I add e 100Ohm's adapter do I need to run the IEm's through a amp? if so what would be best under 200$

I am using the Etymotic 75ohm adapter (close enough to 100, I think), Phonak tips, and the HRT microStreamer.  Midbass is tamed.  And the treble in this setup is the best I have ever hear. Extended, but never sibilant.  In short, it is an absolutely fantastic combination.

Anyone not using resistance and Phonak tips really needs to give it a try. Rin and Inks were not kidding!

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #4,630 of 5,568
how do i plug the adapter into my RSA Balanced plug to use with my SR-71-B 
biggrin.gif

Sep 20, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #4,631 of 5,568

I am using the Etymotic 75ohm adapter (close enough to 100, I think), Phonak tips, and the HRT microStreamer.  Midbass is tamed.  And the treble in this setup is the best I have ever hear. Extended, but never sibilant.  In short, it is an absolutely fantastic combination.

Anyone not using resistance and Phonak tips really needs to give it a try. Rin and Inks were not kidding!

Just ordered a 100 ohm resistor to try it out.  We'll see........

Sep 20, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #4,632 of 5,568
as for my secondry question? do I require an amp to drive after fitting the 100Ohms resistor? what will be the best suited apart from my XM5?

Sep 20, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #4,633 of 5,568
They'd be pretty hard to drive out of most DAPs with added resistance, without an amp. The Clip Zip barely does it. Nothing hardcore needed. Even the E11 had enough out of it with the 100ohm impedance adapter attached.

The moral of the story here is don't be carrying around a car battery and a monoblock amp in your rucksack for these. Contrary to popular belief, thunderstorms do happen...

Sep 21, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #4,634 of 5,568
Will these sound that much better or different with added resistance to them?? I think with a good portable amp these really shine.. They sound OK u guess straight from I'm ipod classic but really makes them sound better with a good amp.. Just my opinion of course :)

Sep 21, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #4,635 of 5,568
Will these sound that much better or different with added resistance to them?? I think with a good portable amp these really shine.. They sound OK u guess straight from I'm ipod classic but really makes them sound better with a good amp.. Just my opinion of course :)

i agree. these are better amped. ive used everything from a JDS Labs C421,JDS Labs C5,ALO Audio mk2,Ibasso P4 Warbler,Ibasso PB2 Pelican, RSA SR-71B All the amps make the W4r Sound Excellent.

They'd be pretty hard to drive out of most DAPs with added resistance, without an amp. The Clip Zip barely does it. Nothing hardcore needed. Even the E11 had enough out of it with the 100ohm impedance adapter attached.

The moral of the story here is don't be carrying around a car battery and a monoblock amp in your rucksack for these. Contrary to popular belief, thunderstorms do happen...

i agree, out of a DAP the added resistance without a amp would make the w4 hard to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back