Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Sep 13, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #4,606 of 5,568
I really like the separation between the bass, mids and highs, I iust feel like they're bass-light, whether they have 2 drivers bass dedicated or not. Maybe I just need to experiment with more ear tips? That is only my initial impression. I've only spent an hour or so with them so far.

Welcome to the club of happy Westone 4R user :)
and also I'm using Fiio E12 as well combined with my Iphone 5 a my portable music gadget.
post your impressions here as soon as you got your Fiio E12.

as for the tips, I suggest to use the comply foam tips like Tx400 to get more bass effects http://www.complyfoam.com/products/tx-400/

Sep 14, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #4,607 of 5,568
Wish these things offered a little more bass. I'm not a basshead but these are a little on the weak side.

Totally agree. Just like the UE900.... for a quad driver and 2 drivers dedicated to bass...its somewhat anemic and embarrassing. I also expected more. I think thats why Shure went the direction they did with SE846.

IEM Design 101: when adding more bass drivers to a multi-driver IEM, be sure to make it "fuller" sounding than the previous triple driver...not thinner sounding with less bass.

Sep 14, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #4,608 of 5,568
Totally agree. Just like the UE900.... for a quad driver and 2 drivers dedicated to bass...its somewhat anemic and embarrassing. I also expected more. I think thats why Shure went the direction they did with SE846.

IEM Design 101: when adding more bass drivers to a multi-driver IEM, be sure to make it "fuller" sounding than the previous triple driver...not thinner sounding with less bass.

Amen. That's why the W4 and UE900 are gone and the TF10 remains.

Sep 15, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #4,611 of 5,568
ft

No doubt. Better bass and treble an more fun sounding. I'd take the TF10 any day over UE900. Except that dang fit!

i was so lucky the tf10 for whatever reason fit me so good, i wish i would have kept them for ''fun'' their sound was superb i got mine for 110.00 shipped and i was so weary about the fit but they fit me excellent others maybe not so much. but i find the tf10 to be extremely hard to beat when it comes to sound quality and their price.

as they get more and more sparse prices will be driven up though, you can already see that on ebay.

Sep 15, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #4,612 of 5,568
I was just putting my W4's in while the music was already playing. I got them in my ears, but not as far as when I first tried them, and BOOM there was the bass. The farther I put them into my ears, the less bass there seems to be. I had been reading through IEM threads where everyone was talking about getting the best seal, and because of that I made sure I shoved them as far into my ear as possible. As it turns out, I just need to get them into my ear just enough to seal to get the best and fullest sound out of them. 

Also, they sound great with my new Fiio E12 :wink:

Sep 15, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #4,613 of 5,568
I use the w4r with my continental v3 amp with either the black medium foam or the red foam tips and I getall tthe bass I need.. Specially with the black ones.. Like you said ccasper the shorter ones give them more bass.. I also think once you get past that flat sound you hear when you first put them in your ears they really are one making I'm Imo I'm a very happy owner :)

Sep 15, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #4,614 of 5,568
  I was just putting my W4's in while the music was already playing. I got them in my ears, but not as far as when I first tried them, and BOOM there was the bass. The farther I put them into my ears, the less bass there seems to be. I had been reading through IEM threads where everyone was talking about getting the best seal, and because of that I made sure I shoved them as far into my ear as possible. As it turns out, I just need to get them into my ear just enough to seal to get the best and fullest sound out of them. 

To find out whether I have a seal or not --and I can't promise this works for everyone-- I normally give my fingers a little lick and wet the tips slightly and insert the tips. But then I give the earphone a little tap before turning music on. If it has the sound quality of a little drum, I know I've got a good seal. Sometimes I do find it easier to get a seal with a shallow insertion than a deep one. 

Sep 15, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #4,615 of 5,568
My favorite to date, modified T400 tips.

Sep 15, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #4,616 of 5,568

I must concur... using my 4R with the Sony F806 using an LOD out to my E12... 

Sep 16, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #4,619 of 5,568
Interesting whats the signature sound like with it

What's the core from?

The core is cut from the Westone white triple flanges, cut in length to just below the end of the iem nozzle.  I'm terrible at describing sound sigs, but with the larger opening of the 400,  IMO, it creates a very neutral sound that maximizes the treble range (to the extent of the W4's capabilities), maintains the Westone mids, and still provides the bass kick that sometimes goes missing with other tips (though I've always been satisfied with it's low end, especially when amplified).  I feel that I get the best of the highs because it basically opens the port opening straight to the ear canal, and doesn't require deep insertion to still maintain coherency in the lower mid range to low.  It works for me, though I know a lot of people don't find Comply tips very comfortable. The W4 is just a warmer sounding iem, which I generally prefer, but I still wish there was a tiny bit more sparkle in the treble. Then again, I'm an old man and my high end hearing isn't so great anymore!   Like so many people have already said, the W4 is not remarkable at any one trait, it just performs solidly top to bottom with all music genres.  Of course, that's just my 2 cents worth.

Sep 16, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #4,620 of 5,568
The core is cut from the Westone white triple flanges, cut in length to just below the end of the iem nozzle.  I'm terrible at describing sound sigs, but with the larger opening of the 400,  IMO, it creates a very neutral sound that maximizes the treble range (to the extent of the W4's capabilities), maintains the Westone mids, and still provides the bass kick that sometimes goes missing with other tips (though I've always been satisfied with it's low end, especially when amplified).  I feel that I get the best of the highs because it basically opens the port opening straight to the ear canal, and doesn't require deep insertion to still maintain coherency in the lower mid range to low.  It works for me, though I know a lot of people don't find Comply tips very comfortable. The W4 is just a warmer sounding iem, which I generally prefer, but I still wish there was a tiny bit more sparkle in the treble. Then again, I'm an old man and my high end hearing isn't so great anymore!   Like so many people have already said, the W4 is not remarkable at any one trait, it just performs solidly top to bottom with all music genres.  Of course, that's just my 2 cents worth.
I think you described it very well lol your rite it does everything very well.. Takes a little bit of time to get use to that cause nothing really stands out.. But once you do it really is top notch.. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back