Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Sep 12, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #4,593 of 5,568
I am just hoping that I don't start feeling the need to purchase a portable amp for them. I've always just run my IEM's directly out of my phone.
\

Well, at least you can buy Fiio E12 or the Entry level E11 to get more clarity out of your music during quiet listening moment. If you are on the go or commuting in noisy environment, amping these IEM would give you small improvement only.

So far I'm using my Westone with iPhone 5 playing my music with DENON audio apps.

Sep 12, 2013 at 5:05 AM Post #4,594 of 5,568
A month or so back I purchased several sets of W4R when they went on sale at BH Photo/Amazon for international headfiers. I actually got them cheaper from SameDayMusic and passed that savings on to headfiers. I had so much interest last time, I've got some more pairs coming in Friday now that they've come on sale again. The total to ship internationally is $380, including express mail international (3-5 business days), insurance and paypal fees. PM me if you want one. (You can check out my feedback too if you're worried about getting scammed :)

Sep 13, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #4,598 of 5,568
I really like the separation between the bass, mids and highs, I iust feel like they're bass-light, whether they have 2 drivers bass dedicated or not. Maybe I just need to experiment with more ear tips? That is only my initial impression. I've only spent an hour or so with them so far.

Sep 13, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #4,599 of 5,568
I really like the separation between the bass, mids and highs, I iust feel like they're bass-light, whether they have 2 drivers bass dedicated or not. Maybe I just need to experiment with more ear tips? That is only my initial impression. I've only spent an hour or so with them so far.

I would definitely try out some different tips and/or tip mods (like the Sony Hybrid tip mod) to make sure you get a good seal. I don't personally own the 4R, but my S.O. does and occasionally I get to listen in ^.^. Anyways getting a proper seal with these are very important, and once you do find the right seal its sublime! :)

Sep 13, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #4,600 of 5,568
Hey !

I'll definitely give the Westone 4 a try soon (when I'll have the money). Any of you did try the combo FiiO X3 and W4 ?

Sep 13, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #4,602 of 5,568

Are you using an amp?

Sep 13, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #4,603 of 5,568
Had my W4R's for about a week now. Love them.

I do think it's odd that joker made the comment in his review about these being forgiving when you don't have a perfect seal. I find that, although they sound pretty good with whatever tips I'm using, they are quite finicky with your tip selection, and sound much better with a deep insertion. Out of the box, I was using the larger foam and silicone sleeves (IMO foam sound much better). It took a while before I realized that I was missing quite a bit from not having a deep enough insertion, and switched to the medium foams.

Sep 13, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #4,604 of 5,568
Had my W4R's for about a week now. Love them.

I do think it's odd that joker made the comment in his review about these being forgiving when you don't have a perfect seal. I find that, although they sound pretty good with whatever tips I'm using, they are quite finicky with your tip selection, and sound much better with a deep insertion. Out of the box, I was using the larger foam and silicone sleeves (IMO foam sound much better). It took a while before I realized that I was missing quite a bit from not having a deep enough insertion, and switched to the medium foams.

Yeah that is very true for whatever reason the w4/r are very tip dependant. And I agree deeper incertion does seem be more resolving that a more shallow incertion tip. However with the w4 I found a tappered tip or a tip with a flared bore yeilds alot.

One tip that has this is the original westone frosted silicone tip. It has a flare to the tip that makes the iem more revealing. Crisper mids highs and vocals.

This is also the same kind of tiip the e2c uses for reference.

Obviously another tip I endorse is the earportz tips those have both deep incertion plus a tappered bore which makes them my top pick for tips esp for the westone w4.

I think with the westone.w4 they have no filter so the tip sort of acts as a filter thus changing the sound signaturevsome for the good some for the bad.

Ive tried a bit of tips and.really only found 2 tips that work very well in the sound quality department.

Imo the w4 hates the comply when It comes to tips. Veiled mids and veiled highs and smaller soundstage.

You wont.realize this to you find a tip that is most revealing. Thrn you may never go back to the complys.

Sep 13, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #4,605 of 5,568
I've tried them with Complys, triple flange, and the original tips it came with. I'm liking the originals best as of right now. As I'm waiting for my Fiio E12 I'm using my 7.1 THX soundcard>optical>Astro Mixamp for power. That sounds pretty nice. I was thinking about getting some DIY molding ear plugs and making tips out of them. Anyone here done that? And if so, how did that work out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back