Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Jul 1, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #4,216 of 5,568
i just got a trial pack small,medium,large and extra large of the proguard earportz tips from hiflight.

so far these are excellent imo. they look weird however the silicone is extremely soft. you have to do a little adjusting so the tip tips fits for isolation and sound. once you get the tip positioned right on your iem isolation is top notch. also comfort is the most comfort i have had with a tip so far. isolating is amazing with them i dont expierence any pressure with the isolation, the silicone is so soft i cannot feel any  hot spots or any sharp any. it feels like i dont even have anything in my ears. yet i cannot hear anything. people talking or me singing loud i cannot even hear myself lol.

with these tips you definitly need to do a little adjustment for the angle of your particular ear, once you get it right you will know.

i am very suprised i like these tips as i have never with any iem's i have owned used a  triple flange tip. however the proguard earportz are excellent they do extend into your ear. however with the design of these earphone tips it has a tapered bore so even though they extend into your ear the vocals,mids and highs arent effected  no veiling or anything like that, that i expierenced with the westone tips that extend a little more into your ears.

if you are thinking about trying them out i would definitly give them a shot. they are worth it imo

Jul 1, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #4,217 of 5,568
Quote:
Amping/Dac for me With the W4r:

ALO Audio RX MK2
Algorhythm SOLO
ALO Audio SXC SOLO cable Combo

this setup is phenomenal with the W4R, costly BUT Phenonenal

Look nice gear setup!  Can you show all this in cool pict?   :wink:  Where did you get your free Earprotz tips samples from? You seem to enjoy them verymuch!

Jul 2, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #4,218 of 5,568
Rediscovering my love for the W4R, with the proper source they really are as good as any other TOTL iems out there!

Jul 2, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #4,221 of 5,568
Quote:
Rediscovering my love for the W4R, with the proper source they really are as good as any other TOTL iems out there!

Welcome back to your beloved one! :wink:

Jul 2, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #4,222 of 5,568
Is that a Heir Magnus cable on your W4?
Begin using mine with one and Arrow 4Gvand been happy
Posted on the Arrow thread few days back, less noise- hiss, static with this cable

Jul 3, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #4,223 of 5,568
Is that a Heir Magnus cable on your W4?
Begin using mine with one and Arrow 4G and been happy
Posted on the Arrow thread few days back, less noise- hiss, static with this cable

It's an UE18pro cable balanced for 3.5" TRRS plug. It provided wider soundstage for the w4r (even when used it in SE mode of the 901).

Jul 3, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #4,224 of 5,568
Removed duplicate post...please ignore.

Jul 3, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #4,225 of 5,568
Quote:
i just got a trial pack small,medium,large and extra large of the proguard earportz tips from hiflight.

so far these are excellent imo. they look weird however the silicone is extremely soft. you have to do a little adjusting so the tip tips fits for isolation and sound. once you get the tip positioned right on your iem isolation is top notch. also comfort is the most comfort i have had with a tip so far. isolating is amazing with them i dont expierence any pressure with the isolation, the silicone is so soft i cannot feel any  hot spots or any sharp any. it feels like i dont even have anything in my ears. yet i cannot hear anything. people talking or me singing loud i cannot even hear myself lol.

with these tips you definitly need to do a little adjustment for the angle of your particular ear, once you get it right you will know.

i am very suprised i like these tips as i have never with any iem's i have owned used a  triple flange tip. however the proguard earportz are excellent they do extend into your ear. however with the design of these earphone tips it has a tapered bore so even though they extend into your ear the vocals,mids and highs arent effected  no veiling or anything like that, that i expierenced with the westone tips that extend a little more into your ears.

if you are thinking about trying them out i would definitly give them a shot. they are worth it imo

I am curious to know which EarPortz size (S, M, L, XL) fit your ears the best? Do you agree with the earlier poster that the XL size gives the best aural experience?

Thanks, Ken

Jul 3, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #4,226 of 5,568
Quote:
I am curious to know which EarPortz size (S, M, L, XL) fit your ears the best? Do you agree with the earlier poster that the XL size gives the best aural experience?

Thanks, Ken

i did notice that at first i tried the medium and thought that those were the best fit. i didnt think that  the large would fit. however i did try the large and those were comfortable as the silicone is extremely soft and the fit was very good,isolation excellent.

the thing with the earportz is the smaller the tip the small the bore/tapper inside the tip and i feel this smaller bore/tapper from my expierence has a tendency to effect the sound.

i noticed going from the mediums to the large that the larger bore gave me bigger soundstage, mids highs and lows were more present. not that the mids highs and lows werent present of the medium tips and that the soundstage wasnt good. its just with the larger tip gave you a larger bore later taper. so the sound was more present.

think of it like a bull horn the smaller the bullhorn the less the sound will travel. the larger the bullhorn the farther the sound will travel. and obviously ever aspect between both bullhorns ie:volume of sound,diserning whats someones saying through it, clarity of sound diserned from the bullhorn ect. is going to depend on the diameter and tapper of the bullhorn respectively.

ok so now taking that into consideration, XL would be the best ''aural'' experience being it has a larger bore/tapper than the small,medium or large. however your ears doing going to be the deciding factor in this as obviously if you have small ears trying to put a XL tip in might not be possible.

but ALL in ALL the earportz are a excellent tip. i feel your opinions would change about the tip once you get it as they do look weird at first even looking at them online, but then experiencing the benifits of sound isolation,comfort and the sound quality of the tips i personally fell in love with them. and i am very suprised with that as i NEVER used the triple flange tips, and i have been trying out tip after tip trying to find a tip that OVERALL beats out the westone/shure e2c clear tip. IMO this is it. 

most of the time when you get a tip that extends down into your ear you end up muffling the mids or highs, my experience not the earportz, the bore and tapper allow for what seems like even crisper cleaner, clearer mids and highs. so thats definitly a suprise.

i bought my set of earportz off of hiflight for 20.00 i figured eh what the hell if they arent any good (like the westone star tips turned out to be) then its just 20.00....but to my suprise these are excellent tips worth the money.

Jul 8, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #4,227 of 5,568
Thought I'd throw up a quick video of my W4's. Please excuse the sub par video quality.

Jul 8, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #4,228 of 5,568
Here is an interesting response from Westone when I tried to find out their out of warranty repair cost per channel on the W4R. I mentioned the Shures have their costs price at $84 a channel for the SE535. 

"Westone offers a two year warranty on our universal fit products when purchased from an authorized reseller. Products purchased from unauthorized resellers are not covered under warranty. Due to their manufacturing process repairs that can be completed on the Westone Series are limited. Replacement cables can be purchased through our website and are currently available for $66.00 USD plus shipping. Filter replacements are $10.00 USD per side plus shipping. Drivers, nozzles, cases, cannot be repaired on the Westone Series. Currently, if there is an issue that cannot be repaired on an out of warranty Westone Series earphone we are able to offer a brand new, unpackaged earphone at a discounted price. Please understand that we cannot guarantee what out of warranty repair/replacement options would be available when your warranty expires two years from now. If you have any additional questions please let us know. Thank you and have a great day!"

Jul 8, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #4,229 of 5,568
Quote:
Here is an interesting response from Westone when I tried to find out their out of warranty repair cost per channel on the W4R. I mentioned the Shures have their costs price at $84 a channel for the SE535. 

"Westone offers a two year warranty on our universal fit products when purchased from an authorized reseller. Products purchased from unauthorized resellers are not covered under warranty. Due to their manufacturing process repairs that can be completed on the Westone Series are limited. Replacement cables can be purchased through our website and are currently available for $66.00 USD plus shipping. Filter replacements are $10.00 USD per side plus shipping. Drivers, nozzles, cases, cannot be repaired on the Westone Series. Currently, if there is an issue that cannot be repaired on an out of warranty Westone Series earphone we are able to offer a brand new, unpackaged earphone at a discounted price. Please understand that we cannot guarantee what out of warranty repair/replacement options would be available when your warranty expires two years from now. If you have any additional questions please let us know. Thank you and have a great day!"

Intersting, thank!

Jul 9, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #4,230 of 5,568
I just received my new W4 for $320 from a third party seller fulfilled by Amazon. I am amazed at how wonderful these sound but have a gripe about the warranty only covering purchases from authorized dealers. How reliable is the original W4 over time? I see many people having issues with the 4R...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back