Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
May 1, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #4,066 of 5,568
Quote:
What portable amplifier would suit my Westone 4R the best? They seem to be somewhat hard to drive compared to my previous Westone UM3X which I still love to death. On my iPhone 4 I managed to get the Westone 4R to sound acceptable, and then I preferred them over my Westone UM3X, but with the iPhone 5 the DAC and amplifier seems to have changed and now my phone isn't able to utilise the Westone 4R as good as my iPhone 4 did. As a result I find myself using the Westone UM3X instead of the Westone 4R.

I guess I'm out of luck in regards of the DAC as the iPhone 5's lightning connector does not support any direct AUX cable, people claim that using a Lightning to 30-pin connector and then use a 30-pin AUX cable should do the trick, but that's just way to flimsy, ugly and not user friendly at all. As there is barley any half decent portable amplifiers that spots the "Apple DAC certificate" one wont be able to bypass the internal DAC any other way.

I've been looking at the FiiO E12 "Mont Blanc" but I guess it might be completely overkill for a pair of 32 ohms IEM's and might be a bit too heavy and bulky for portable use? Still I would prefer something that fit the footprint of the iPhone 5 compared to something more awkwardly shaped that would be hard to be supported on the back of the phone while jogging etc..

I have the 4R with the E12. The E12 is only slightly bigger and thicker than the iphone 4, so it is not that bulky. It will drive the 4R very well and the SQ is quite neutral, a very compatible and portable setup.
I will post up some pics of the setup when I have the time later tonight.

May 3, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #4,067 of 5,568
Quote:
I am loving my W4's that I have had for about two years now. They are so good, I can almost take them for granted, but I never will. They are so easy to just LIVE with. No drama, no second thoughts, just pure listening enjoyment. Have never regretted this purchase, ever. I listen to all kinds of music, and to me, the W4 work well with all of them.

2 years! You never had any cable issues? Luckyman!

May 3, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #4,068 of 5,568
Had always planned that once these pairs reach 2 years' worth of listening time, I would reshell them for longevity's sake. Though that would be in 6 month's time so wanting to break that rule more and more...

I'd probably go to UM to see if they could do some additional tuning while they're at it. Ramp up the sub-bass, dial down the mid-bass.

May 3, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #4,069 of 5,568
2 years! You never had any cable issues? Luckyman!

Luckily, I have had no cable issues. The great thing is in about ten years of ownership of WESTONE products, I have always enjoyed exceptional customer service from them, both in-and-out of warranty!

May 8, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #4,070 of 5,568
Dear head-fier,

Is there a huge difference between UM3x and W4? I just received the UM3x and I felt the bass way stronger, prominent midrange and better soundstage ( feels wider, felt like I am immersed with music)  More importantly, Um3x is way more detailed and it sings louder than W4 at the same volume...I felt the W4 sounds tinny and cold to me..I don't feel the "soundstage" as many head-fier says, "W4 feels like sitting at the 4th seat row in a concert". Don't tell me that my W4 got busted, as one of its driver breaks?

edit: has anyone felt that the W4 cabling got stiffer? I have owned W4 for 8 months, and this happens.

May 8, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #4,072 of 5,568
Still loving my W4's in stock form with the star tips, but I'd like to try them with an impedance adapter.  

Problem is - all the adapters I've been able to find on ebay, etc. seem to be solid, 1-2 inch long cylinders that are not going to play nicely with a dap/smart phone riding in my pocket.  My note 2 barely fits in my pocket as is (although I love the phone), and I have no interest in putting stress on its headphone jack. Are there any commercial options in the form of a flexible cable impedance adapter?

I guess I have a couple of 75 ohm tantulum resisters sitting around, and I could diy it up, but I've never had much luck making pretty cables with mini-jacks.  Open to any suggestions!

May 8, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #4,073 of 5,568
Quote:
W4+33-100ohms+shallow insertion+grey knowles damper=definitely in the top 5 IEMs I've heard

what are the specs on those knowles dampers?

May 8, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #4,074 of 5,568
Quote:
Still loving my W4's in stock form with the star tips, but I'd like to try them with an impedance adapter.  

Problem is - all the adapters I've been able to find on ebay, etc. seem to be solid, 1-2 inch long cylinders that are not going to play nicely with a dap/smart phone riding in my pocket.  My note 2 barely fits in my pocket as is (although I love the phone), and I have no interest in putting stress on its headphone jack. Are there any commercial options in the form of a flexible cable impedance adapter?

I guess I have a couple of 75 ohm tantulum resisters sitting around, and I could diy it up, but I've never had much luck making pretty cables with mini-jacks.  Open to any suggestions!

I think what you are looking for is this, i use it for my note 2 but it is non adjustable, i think it adds 100 ohm but i don't remember.

Also are the UM series (UM3X) smaller in size to the W4?

May 8, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #4,075 of 5,568

putting this out there. i love my BTG AUDIO Sunrise cable. the cable sounds amazing with the w4r. alot of ppl dont know him or know he is out there making these awsome cables. his quality is top notch 10/10 sound is exceptional 10/10

May 8, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #4,079 of 5,568
what are the specs on those knowles dampers?

330ohm knowles damper

Amazon has the LIAAIL sound capsule which is a 33ohm cable

May 9, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #4,080 of 5,568
http://www.knowles.com/search/product.htm?x_sub_cat_id=15

Users who are viewing this thread

Back