Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Jun 28, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #1,861 of 5,568
I might give these a whirl - what do you use for a spacer?  I think I'm just going to buy various tips I see mentioned in this thread and try them all...  (or try to justify the custom U56 tips or whatever they are called....!)

Jun 28, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #1,863 of 5,568
I edited my response above with more info.

No spacers needed for the future Sonics tips.

If you plan on keeping the W4's, um56 tips are the way to go. They can be had for less than msrp that you see on Westones site, even including impressions. Just call around and get a few estimates.

Jun 28, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #1,864 of 5,568

Quote:

If you plan on keeping the W4's, um56 tips are the way to go. They can be had for less than msrp that you see on Westones site, even including impressions. Just call around and get a few estimates.

how funny... i was just going ot post "to um56, or not to um56..."
will the um56 fit any westone universal?  i often change iems so im not sure if its worth it.  but these westones are pretty nice.  a little polite sounding.  easy to listen to. 

Jun 28, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #1,865 of 5,568

Quote:

Well now I'm definitely interested if I can get it for cheaper than the msrp!  I'll call the places (not many) local to me that show up on their site and see what the story is.  It has to be the best option rather than trying random tips and hoping to get lucky!

Jun 28, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #1,866 of 5,568
It will fit all Westones. And I think it should probably fit SE Shure models, Future Sonic, Earsonics and any other small nozzle IEM.

I have the Sm3's and never tried my um56's. Guess I know what I'm doing tonight.

Jun 29, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #1,871 of 5,568

Quote:
Anyone using the Westone 4 with the Fiio E11? Does it add much?

Same, I had the same question. Asked it in headfonia a week ago and this is what he said.

"Mmm... I think the E11 is better function wise as it has a low gain
selector where the PA2V2 doesn't. It also should help to add bass to the
W4's fairly anemic bass."

Other than that, I'm curious about the combo too.

Jun 30, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #1,872 of 5,568
Hi guys, here goes my first few words regarding the first few hours of listening to my new W4!!

My earphone journey has been pretty long, albeit not as high-end as many of you on here. I have heard the W3, UM3X, TF3, SE535, IE8, Monster Turbine range. My main toptier IEM was the W3, which was a huge leap up from these Audio Technica's that I had a while back (CK9s). Had been happily cruising along with the W3, thought they were fantastic. The bass response was the main improvement for me, and as I realised later, the relatively mid-scooped nature of the W3 was what made them suit my main music taste at that moment  - metal, with some beginning dabbles in electronic music.

Anyway, I was at Kingsound audio (best audio shop in Hong Kong FYI, they let you try out almost all top tier earphones/headphones without any pressure, the only thing they don't have at the moment is the Earsonics stuff I think...) when I spied the W4. Curiosity got the better of me and I tried it. Many here have said that W4 could be placed next to the W3 as a 'sidegrade', so I wasn't expecting any WOW factor response. But I got a WOW factor response, in the sense that each frequency band had been finetuned just that tiny bit more IMO. I suppose this is the definition of diminishing returns, because the W3 are a great IEM, but W4 just seemed to be that little bit better all the way across the frequencies. So I scraped some cash together, and with a subsidy from my mom (the inheritor of my old W3), I laid down ~US$398 for the W4.

The important thing to note before I present my initial impressions/W3-W4 comparisons is that my music taste has changed quite significantly since I bought the W3. From listening almost exclusively to metal my taste branched out to include classical, jazz, electronic, rock, hip hop and other instrumental artists. Though I still think that well recorded and produced metal is the best discriminator of sound quality, the demands placed on the W3 certainly became more varied and 'challenging'. Even before the W4 were announced, I had toyed with the EQ to try and bring things such as female vocals to a more forward position, and to tame the midbass in some way as well, as these particular weaknesses with the W3 had become apparent with my broadened listening.

So far, the W4 have subtly obliterated the W3. The low end is just much tighter whilst still present. Granted, there is a drop in sheer bass impact, but the W3 had bass that would shake your larynx whether the recording really intended it or not. Don't get me wrong, they deliver bass in great quantities, but the resolution of the bass and control of the bass is just that much tighter. Fast tom fills are far more precise, instead of warbling together slightly due to the looser bass presentation with the W3. The mids are probably the greatest improvement in the W4. Vocals come through like a hot knife though butter. In all the top tier IEMs I've heard, these are my favourite mids. I concede that the SE535 probably have the best mids in isolation, but they are so forward and occasionally scratchy depending on the recording and the genre of music that I can't really say their mids are superior to the W4. These are the only mids I've heard that are forward, smooth, forgiving with different genres and recordings, detailed and enjoyable. I'm not sure how else to put it, because mids are difficult to describe for me. It's not about whether they're there or not, or even how controlled they are. They can somehow be 'ugly' or 'pretty' mids, and the W4 are 'pretty' mids. Oh, and the mids are in no way 'mushy' as I perceived in the UM3X and perhaps the IE8. The trebles are not as forward as the W3, but are more refined IMO. They perhaps don't have that same extension as the W3 - that potentially sibilant TSSS is not present in the W4 (for the record, I never found that aspect of the W3s sibilant). However, the trebles have much more air around them, cymbals seem to ring out a little bit in some open space between them and the other frequencies. The analogy I could give for this is the difference between flicking glass and flicking crystal. Each cymbal hit is more akin to crystal than glass on the W4, if that makes sense. Finally, the soundstage and instrument separation in the W4 is a step up from the W3. W3 was great in this regard, but the controlled bass, forward mids and slightly less crowded trebles has helped perceptually increase the soundstage and improve instrument separation. Note, this is nothing like the IE8 which has a soundstage so wide that you feel you're a few kilometres away from the performance, the W4 put you maybe three rows back from the stage. I like this presentation, others may prefer the IE8 soundstage. Even with individual instruments, such as the drums, the ability to discern the high hat end from the low tom end spatially is improved.

PS. I have tried the olives, triple flanges, cut triple flanges, ?Ety biflanges, Ety Gliders, and stock small grey tips. Currently settled with the ?Ety biflanges, I think they are similar to the Earsonics that people are talking about above. Wide bore hole means slightly brighter trebles, more bass impact with a marginally smaller soundstage as a tradeoff. Olives make the bass lack their oomph, most flanges make the sound signature quite compressed to my ears. The gliders are slightly warmer sounding, and provide a bigger soundstage, though I feel that some detail is lost. The stock grey tips are fantastic, coming close to my current biflanges, though the biflanges offer greater isolation.

PPS. Another fairly important reason I went for Westone once again is that their customer service is fantastic. I had a cable failure on the right side of my W3, sent it back and they sent back a full package no questions asked - out of warranty. As a starving student, this is the kind of generosity that buys customer loyalty. If you wanted to peg me as a fanboy, I guess you could, but not without legitimate justification. Their sound quality is excellent, and their customer service is up to the same standard. When I plonk down so much cash, it's just reassuring to know that I'm not going to be left hanging with a broken IEM that I simply can't afford to replace.

Okay, that's all for now. As I wrote, I have heard all those top tier IEMs so feel free to ask for specific comparisons.
And thanks to all of you passionate people on this board, who make it much easier and enjoyable for pauper students like me to prepare to put down wads of cash for this expensive hobby haha.

Jun 30, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #1,874 of 5,568
Just re-bought the W4 because I've missed them. I've enjoyed my adventure into over ear headphones; maybe in the future I'll get more time to enjoy them. But the reality is that I listen to music in small chunks and often on the go: before I go to bed or when I'm at a starbucks. Over ear headphones just don't work as well in the office where I need to take them off every time someone wants to pop their head in my office. There is nothing nicer than pulling out a comfortable pair of earphones that deliver an amazing sound no matter where you are.  I've tried to love the SE535 but they just aren't as comfortable as the W4; also, they don't excel with classical strings. I'm looking forward to getting the W4 back into the ears, especially after listening to a descent over-ear headphone starter system.

For anyone looking for a deal on them, I offered Audiovengeance on ebay (the only authorized dealer on ebay) a buy it now offer of $350 and they accepted. After priority mail shipping, the total was $355. That is like $25 bucks cheaper than Earphone Solutions!

Jun 30, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #1,875 of 5,568

Quote:
Just re-bought the W4 because I've missed them. I've enjoyed my adventure into over ear headphones; maybe in the future I'll get more time to enjoy them. But the reality is that I listen to music in small chunks and often on the go: before I go to bed or when I'm at a starbucks. Over ear headphones just don't work as well in the office where I need to take them off every time someone wants to pop their head in my office. There is nothing nicer than pulling out a comfortable pair of earphones that deliver an amazing sound no matter where you are.  I've tried to love the SE535 but they just aren't as comfortable as the W4; also, they don't excel with classical strings. I'm looking forward to getting the W4 back into the ears, especially after listening to a descent over-ear headphone starter system.

For anyone looking for a deal on them, I offered Audiovengeance on ebay (the only authorized dealer on ebay) a buy it now offer of $350 and they accepted. After priority mail shipping, the total was $355. That is like $25 bucks cheaper than Earphone Solutions!

wow great price! i paid that same amount for a mint 1 owner w4! wish i knew.  but really cant tell the ones i got from brand new anyways so im happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back