Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Jul 1, 2011 at 9:49 AM Post #1,892 of 5,568

MacedonianHero's impression from the previous post parallel my own...or mine do his. The mids on the SE535 are amazing; the W4 is a slightly better all rounder. Finding myself deciding between the two yet again (and recently repurchasing the W4), what moved me toward the W4 over the SE535 was the ergonomics. I just never found the SE535 very comfortable. But I know that I'll miss the brilliant mids of the SE535 that just makes vocals shockingly good. I also love that the cables on the SE535 are replaceable.

Jul 1, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #1,893 of 5,568
I actually find the SE535 very comfortable, so it should be an even tougher one for me. Obviously I'll be keeping whichever I prefer and selling off the other. I do know without listening to the W4, I find the aesthetic design of the SE535's far more appealing. The bronze slightly opaque finish just looks incredibly plush compared to the more traditional plain black plastic of the W4. 

Jul 1, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #1,895 of 5,568
Considering trying the Westone 4. Currently use a SE535, which I'll admit, to my ears sonically, are near enough perfect, even compared to my old SE530's. Compared to the SE530's, the soundstage is opened up a touch and the high's have more detail. They also feel a bit more lively and have more punch. Only thing that I'd personally prefer in them is a slightly more V like audio presentation, just ever so slightly less dramatism in place of an even wider sound stage or ever so slightly more distant or less potent vocals. That said, with the Westone 4, I'm afraid they might be too balanced and neutral with less impactful bass. I keep hearing that the bass on the W4's, whilst detailed, is less punchy than other earphones, and since I listen to a lot of dubstep and hip hop, I wonder if that could be a negative.

Any comparisons between the SE535 and Westone 4? Bear in mind I use my earphones currently un-amped straight from an iPhone 4.

I have W4, listen to dubstep/electronic and have an iPhone4 - all you need for world-class bass is an EQ app such as EQu, Equalizer or EQ10 - all of which are easily affordable and can augment the response at 20-30hz. W4 may not be default tuned for huge punchy bass, but they respond brilliantly when pushed and you don't lose any detail or experience any midbass bleed into the mids.

Jul 1, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #1,896 of 5,568

Whilst that's all fine and dandy, I think a high quality premium product such as this shouldn't really need EQ'ing. I will look in to the Equilizer apps either way mind and do appreciate the advice.
Quote:
I have W4, listen to dubstep/electronic and have an iPhone4 - all you need for world-class bass is an EQ app such as EQu, Equalizer or EQ10 - all of which are easily affordable and can augment the response at 20-30hz. W4 may not be default tuned for huge punchy bass, but they respond brilliantly when pushed and you don't lose any detail or experience any midbass bleed into the mids.

Jul 1, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #1,897 of 5,568

I find the W4 bass amazing; its a huge selling point for me. I don't think its that the bass needs EQing. Instead, some people's preference will drive them to EQ, or perhaps more easily, look elsewhere to any number of iems w/ a more forceful bass. The W4's bass is amazingly tight and controlled. Technically amazing. (IMO)
Quote:
Whilst that's all fine and dandy, I think a high quality premium product such as this shouldn't really need EQ'ing. I will look in to the Equilizer apps either way mind and do appreciate the advice.

Jul 1, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #1,898 of 5,568

Quote:
I find the W4 bass amazing; its a huge selling point for me. I don't think its that the bass needs EQing. Instead, some people's preference will drive them to EQ, or perhaps more easily, look elsewhere to any number of iems w/ a more forceful bass. The W4's bass is amazingly tight and controlled. Technically amazing. (IMO)

Hi Imac, I know you had the 535's would you say the bass was comparable to the 535? I think the bass is great on the 535, I have to sometimes key into it as the mids are outstanding. I guess my only other concern is the need for more drive on the W4's. Someone posted that they need to add about twice as much volume on the W4's vs the Shures I doubt it;s that much, but would you feel I could run these straight on my Sony without an amp. Sometimes I do like to blast . Thanks in advance

Jul 1, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #1,899 of 5,568
The W4 is more difficult to drive than the SE535. I never had problems running them from my ipod classic though since I don't really ever blast my music. That being said, I'm really curious how the W4 is going to sound with the Fiio E11. Neither the SE535 nor the W4 need amping, but last time I had the W4 I was always curious what it would do with a little more juice. I loved it, but it always felt like its collar was on a little tight; I want to take off the tie and see how it does. I hope a little extra juice will release a little more potential. Not that I was dissatisfied with it. Just kind of like buying a new car...you want to take it on the highway and push it further than you need to to see how it handles.

The Se535 has fantastic bass! But I agree, the mids are so upfront you notice them more...and they are lovely! I think the W4 bass is a little more multidimensional than the Se535. It has more presence; the bass is bassier without being "in your face". Maybe you could say I found it richer, not that the SE535 was in any way a slouch. I think the W4 has more depth. Without coloring the sound, I think you get to see more of the potential in the original recording. Maybe what I'm thinking of is "tonality"...though I'm not into music or sound enough to say I'm using that word right.

Jul 1, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #1,900 of 5,568

Quote:
The W4 is more difficult to drive than the SE535. I never had problems running them from my ipod classic though since I don't really ever blast my music. That being said, I'm really curious how the W4 is going to sound with the Fiio E11. Neither the SE535 nor the W4 need amping, but last time I had the W4 I was always curious what it would do with a little more juice. I loved it, but it always felt like its collar was on a little tight; I want to take off the tie and see how it does. I hope a little extra juice will release a little more potential. Not that I was dissatisfied with it. Just kind of like buying a new car...you want to take it on the highway and push it further than you need to to see how it handles.

The Se535 has fantastic bass! But I agree, the mids are so upfront you notice them more...and they are lovely! I think the W4 bass is a little more multidimensional than the Se535. It has more presence; the bass is bassier without being "in your face". Maybe you could say I found it richer, not that the SE535 was in any way a slouch. I think the W4 has more depth. Without coloring the sound, I think you get to see more of the potential in the original recording. Maybe what I'm thinking of is "tonality"...though I'm not into music or sound enough to say I'm using that word right.

LOL "Collar on too tight" I think your explanation is perfect, and kind of what I expected. In I2ehans earlier reviews of the W4, while he was using his arrow at the time seemed to really loosen up the collar. I think this one may be for you. I just can;t carry an amp around for it;s full potential, however this W4 is really intriguing me at this time. Fit, Form, cable, and Westones customer service is probably about the industry's best, and I respect that! Thanks

Jul 1, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #1,901 of 5,568
SE535 is considered pretty neutral but W4 has even less bass and less power than SE535.  I basically had my Ipod Classic maxed out on most files.  It is probably the least efficient IEM in my profile but most people listen and quieter levels. 

My problem with SE535 is a sort of constrained, somewhat compressed overall presentation.  Almost like everything is a bit too controlled.  The other thing is it is a slightly grainy presentation (compared to my W3 and JH5).  Very decent IEM, I just think there is better for the cost.

I personally did not care for W4 due to the inefficiency and overly smooth, veiled presentation.  I would suspect a Twag cable and amp would really "wake up" the W4.

Jul 2, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #1,902 of 5,568

Quote:
SE535 is considered pretty neutral but W4 has even less bass and less power than SE535.  I basically had my Ipod Classic maxed out on most files.  It is probably the least efficient IEM in my profile but most people listen and quieter levels. 

My problem with SE535 is a sort of constrained, somewhat compressed overall presentation.  Almost like everything is a bit too controlled.  The other thing is it is a slightly grainy presentation (compared to my W3 and JH5).  Very decent IEM, I just think there is better for the cost.

I personally did not care for W4 due to the inefficiency and overly smooth, veiled presentation.  I would suspect a Twag cable and amp would really "wake up" the W4.

Thanks again Spyro. I do think that the 535 do have a very slightly compressed sound. While it is very early, I just got the new S Comply;s (Olive shape) and with the opening larger than the P series initial impressions have seemed to open this up a bit, and created a little better separation.But They will probably still feel more compressed than the 4's as they do with the W3's. These Comply  S is a good find and actually sound better than the olives in my opinion, but too early to tell. I really really Love the shures, even after the extreme comfort and sounds of the W3

Jul 4, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #1,903 of 5,568
The W4 can be had for USD429.99... very tempting
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back