Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Jul 4, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #1,906 of 5,568
My Westone 4 vs Shure SE535 comparison thread. Think I'm going to keep the SE535's and sell the W4's. But not 100% sure yet.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/560881/westone-4-vs-shure-se535-comparison-will-update-as-i-go-along

Just added to the impressions.

Jul 6, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #1,907 of 5,568

Quote:
The W4 is more difficult to drive than the SE535. I never had problems running them from my ipod classic though since I don't really ever blast my music. That being said, I'm really curious how the W4 is going to sound with the Fiio E11. Neither the SE535 nor the W4 need amping, but last time I had the W4 I was always curious what it would do with a little more juice. I loved it, but it always felt like its collar was on a little tight; I want to take off the tie and see how it does. I hope a little extra juice will release a little more potential. Not that I was dissatisfied with it. Just kind of like buying a new car...you want to take it on the highway and push it further than you need to to see how it handles.

The Se535 has fantastic bass! But I agree, the mids are so upfront you notice them more...and they are lovely! I think the W4 bass is a little more multidimensional than the Se535. It has more presence; the bass is bassier without being "in your face". Maybe you could say I found it richer, not that the SE535 was in any way a slouch. I think the W4 has more depth. Without coloring the sound, I think you get to see more of the potential in the original recording. Maybe what I'm thinking of is "tonality"...though I'm not into music or sound enough to say I'm using that word right.

Right now I'm using a basic 3.5-3.5 (my last LOD failed on me and I'm waiting for a new one in the mail) to an Ibasso D4 with bypass buffers and a LT1355 opamp, and it sounds wonderful. I can notice the difference when I move back to only my ipod classic (sometimes I don't want to carry the amp for a small errand) but it is definitely noticeable. Doesn't bother me when I'm walking and what not because its hard to focus only on the music, but for critical or even just at home listening, an amp really helps. The W4 sound is just plain fuller with the amp.

Jul 10, 2011 at 2:29 AM Post #1,908 of 5,568
Just to feedback a bit, a little while after my first impressions on the W4.

These earphones just seem to get better and better. The subtlety in their presentation of music is a joy to listen to.

As I listen to a lot of metal (which can be recorded poorly), I found that the W4 are less forgiving of low bitrates and bad production when compared to the W3. However, they still are forgiving, which is perfect IMO. They allow you to easily differentiate good production from excellent production, and poor production is clearly evident when listening...BUT somehow their presentation somehow manages to make almost all recordings pleasing to listen to (this may be due to the slightly smoother/warmer tone when compared to more analytical IEMs, which some may not prefer.). This works for me though, as my musical taste is really broad and spans lots of different qualities of recording.

Perhaps this comment may not make sense, but the soundstaging and instrument separation seems to be better preserved in outdoor use with the W4 when compared to the W3. It's inevitable that sound leaks in, regardless how good your tip fit is, but the W4 seem to preserve soundstage, whilst the W3 seem to get muddy and 'flattened' with the presence of background noise. Weird.

Also, those who crave more bass impact should definitely try the triple flanges. My assumptions were slightly off in terms to their impact on the W4 sound. I had predicted they would compress the sound like they did on my W3, but they managed to remain balanced and clear, without the bass rolling over other details. In fact, the added isolation brought out more shimmer in the highs and some added details in the mids without 'scooping' the sound too much. I may shorten the stalk even further though, as the longer the stalk the further away the soundstage seems to be. I prefer the soundstage to be a bit closer and intimate, so some further trimming is in order. I have some triple flanges modded to biflanges as well, but don't recommend these as they seem to just muddy the sound and loosen the bass. I think the third flange really helps maintain a tighter sound - but YMMV depending on comfort and fit.

And as an aside, I've been using these through my Macbook Pro (no DAC, just the volume attenuator to kill the hiss) and they really work well with Amarra. Highly overpriced piece of software for what it is, but it does significantly improve the sound IMO, with the W4 at least.

Regarding the comparisons above with the Shure's, I auditioned them briefly side-by-side with the W4. I felt that their bass was good but with not as much resolution as the W4 - perhaps with more bass impact though (bear in mind the W4 did not have the triple flanges on them during the test). The mids obviously shone through, a bit too much IMO. Perhaps with some of the poorer recordings in my library they sounded scratchy. I guess the mids as a specific frequency band aren't forgiving on the Shure's, I can imagine them being fantastic if all you listen to is well-recorded classical or female vocals. The trebles were also there but lackluster, I think this was because of the instrument separation/soundstaging, which I perceived as more conical in front of my face than the wider 'wrapped around my head tightly' W4 soundstage. I think things like the hihats didn't jump out at me as much on the Shure's and the bass lacked the smooth control of the W4, though the bass was quite enjoyable for casual listening, on critical listening the bass didn't seem to perform as well - particularly apparent on bass heavy music like Venetian Snares - Detrimentalist or some good old Benga.

Jul 10, 2011 at 7:57 AM Post #1,909 of 5,568
Having the Westone 4s for over 2 months, there are a few character traits about them that must be adhered to, in getting the best out of them. They have to be played at a certain volume before they come on song. On my Galaxy S2, it means one click from maximum on the volume setting. On my Motorola Xoom, which btw is the best sounding player, providing you get the Equalizer App. to flatten the curve that all Android devices have- booasted bass and trebles, the sound is stunning. If played at soft volume they sound soft and no impact nor dynamics whatsoever. As mentioned by a previous poster a distinct veiling to the sound.

One thing that is never mentioned is the proportion of the instruments in relation to each other. The 4s excels in this area, everything just sounds right. For example the voice cannot sound larger than the piano. This is one area that the shures 535 comes short. It's mids are just too forward and trebles to my ears too bright. Ofcourse, this kind of sound is exciting to listen to but really not realistic to live music as live music is always very very smooth. I am making references to un miked live music.

Lastly, the 4s are so well balanced and convey the intracacies of music extremely well. I do not feel that they are analytical at all but convey the pace and rhythm and immediatecy of music correctly.

All in all, great IEMs, just dont listen to them at low volume.

Jul 11, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #1,910 of 5,568

Hey, just wanted to thank you for the info, bought a pair which I should have next week!  Saved £75 (about $130) against the high prices here in the UK (and they are marking it as low value too!).

Good times
etysmile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by imackler /img/forum/go_quote.gif

For anyone looking for a deal on them, I offered Audiovengeance on ebay (the only authorized dealer on ebay) a buy it now offer of $350 and they accepted. After priority mail shipping, the total was $355. That is like $25 bucks cheaper than Earphone Solutions!

Jul 13, 2011 at 5:04 AM Post #1,911 of 5,568
I always assumed audiophile wise analytical just meant detailed, pure and offering immense clarity or separation. Yet Spkrs01, you've mentioned that you don't think the W4's are analytical. Can you chime in on your definition of the descriptor? In my review/comparison I stated that I thought the earphone was analytical, but only with relation to the definitions outlined above. Little confused as to the context of the word.

Jul 13, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #1,912 of 5,568
Analytical to me means you can hear everything, all the details in the music, but its not coherent. Its cold sounding. It doesn't feel real. Say Mark Levinson in the Hi Fi world. Real un miked music is very warm sounding. That's why so many people join the Tube bandwagon because of its golden mid range and the immediacy of the music. Although, lately there seems to be a convergence of sound signatures in the Tube and SS world, examples such as the Soulution amps and the new Conrad Johnsons or ARC ref. series. Ofcourse there are still the syrupy tube amps which some adore and again they adore the colouration as oppose to the accuracy.

It's all a personal choice, there's not an ultimate sound signature that one should adhere to, it all just depends on which is better sounding to the person. I actually picked up the W4s without auditioning as I wanted better IEMs for the Motorola Xoom which is an amazing DAP. In Hong Kong access to all the top of the range IEMs is very easy and if one chooses to audition, there are many shops that allow it without pressure in purchasing. I compared the W4s against the 535 after I had purchased the W4s and perhaps I am biased...........however, to my ears the W4s are just that much more natural sounding and more real when measured against real music.

I am not a soundstage person as in real music( again un miked ) there's no soundstage...........Soundstage is listening with your eyes and the interpretation of the sound engineer. I enjoy the drive, pace, rhythm and emotions that music evokes. If you listen to Chamber Music in a small to medium sized room which unfortunately is the only type of music performed now which is un miked, of course, you can hear the direction of an individual instrument but when the 13 or more piece plays together it's very hard to say this violin is here and that one is there and the cello is positioned here and that one is there as they play the music as a whole. Ofcourse the lead instrument is always at the forefront.

Sorry my ramblings...........
Spkrs01

Jul 15, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #1,913 of 5,568
for anyone with oodles of money...

i just got my DNA sonett today.  I have upgraded tubes in it but due to a driver issue, my headphone isnt here.  so i plugged my W4 into it and let her rip.... WOW. lol the music is so 3d and the imaging is absolutely aawesome.  the few tracks i have heard, i swear it feels like im there live iwth the artist.  

Jul 29, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #1,914 of 5,568
Okay, is the honeymoon over? I mean no one hardly ever talks about the W4 anymore. What gives? It's almost as if this IEM truly represented the FOTM stereotype to its fullest. Is it not what you thought it was initially? 

Well, those who seen me post for awhile on head-fi.org know that I've always been a proponent for hearing things for yourself if you are truly interested. So, I'm Johnny-come-lately, but I should finally have a W4 in my possession later on today. I'm going to hear (finally) how it stacks up against my beloved 1964-Q, the GR07, the EX600, the EX1000, the SM2 and Custom 3 (the FX700 will be from memory now). I will be brutally honest. If I love them I will say it. If I don't I will say that too. I have found out, however, that many on head-fi don't hear earphones the same way I do - even if we are listening to the same product. For example, so many of you that I respect your opinions love the DBA-02 and TF10, and I can't stand either. On the other hand, I seem to love the GR07 more than some of you who say it's just okay (I think it is quite better than okay). Some of you think nothing is better than the FX700. Although it's my favorite universal of all-time, I've heard some universals recently - EX600 and GR07 - that equal it in many way, and even surpass it in some areas.

So stay tuned. This is my first Westone. I hope we have a good experience with each other on this first date.

Jul 29, 2011 at 2:21 AM Post #1,916 of 5,568
All the top tier BAs have had little action in their threads. Doesn't mean that much imo, fwir, the W4 is a fine product but I'm sure that pricing scares a lot of potential customers though. I don't think it was a FOTM, it was actually fairly nice as people actually acknowledged the flaws whereas in some other cases the thread becomes some sort of fairy tale. 

Jul 29, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #1,917 of 5,568
Honestly, Head-Fi is a bit down on activity it seems to me during this early part of the summer.  Maybe people are also listening to their phones rather than writing about them.  They hit the end of the line and retired from the forums.  
tongue.gif

Jul 29, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #1,920 of 5,568

If there's something remarkable about the W4 thread is that it never really reached true 'FOTM status', IMO; it hasn't followed the FOTM patterns seen on so many other threads. Very often, in fact, this thread has been quiet (not just recently).

In other threads you'll normally have 2-3 regular posters - sometimes posting far too much - who will 'guard' a thread, hype the IEM in question and defend it no matter what when some people criticise any aspects of it.

On the W4 thread there have many, many owners who've come and posted their (short) impressions and often just left it at that. There's been criticism too, and this is one of the few threads where you can easily find the strong & weak points of this particular product.

That said, the W4 remains one of the very best IEMs I've heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back