Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Feb 5, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #5,477 of 5,568
 Who would you recommend i go through if i get customs. My other w4rs's came in today which made me happy.love the huge sound of the w4r

with the w4,4r the phonak audeo tips and 100ohm adapter dramatically help the IEM achieve a better frequency response and sound. if you like those qualities they may be able to incorporate them in a custom for you for example look at the measurments and openings of the phonak audeo tips etc. (insertion depth dramatic effect on frequency response of it alos
)

because tips alter the w4 ,4r so much, if a custom design was poorly executed , or just not paid much attention to in those areas, you could end up with alterations in a negative way . like for example comparing the tonality of the stock med silicone westone star tip vs the phonak audeo tip,
the star tip is longer and smaller opening which presents slight ringing at 200hz and at 10khz compared to the phonak audeo silicone which is shorter and bigger opening which tames those areas so they become natural.

that said it is certainly possible to turn into a custom that is superior to the universal with those things in mind.

here is a page where the gentleman shows exactly what happens with different tips on the westone w4 , 4r

http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2012/12/the-effect-of-ear-sleeves-westone-4.html
important to note the frequency response graphs presented for different tips, are before olive ,harmon, compensation
curves.

below is the phonak tips and 100ohm adapter together after compensation fainted line is before (flat to the ear)[

here is the westone w4 stock with compensation

compared to the westone w4 stock frequency response and also the 100ohm or 33ohm adapter comparison

this information is important for example here is what straight line flat speakers in a room get perceived by us (the way we are used to hearing music)

and also considering equal loudness contour of human hearing

with these things in mind i bet a lot could be achieved with a westone w4,4r turned into a custom (with the right considerations)

Feb 10, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #5,478 of 5,568
anyone ever done a radians custom fit for their own Westone?

bassically this is a DIY custom mold...seen good reviews using cheap headset but I really dont want to ruin my headphone.

Feb 10, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #5,482 of 5,568
  Radians are for shallow insertion donot get them too deep. Also Radian material will not fit to nozzle.Its waste of time and money and also dangerous if you get it wrong.

I'm sorry what do you mean by "material will not fit to nozzle"? its more or less playdoh it'll shape around your nozzle.

I understand dangerous if you get it stuck all the way in your ear.

Feb 10, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #5,483 of 5,568
the proguardz work excellent they get deep into your ear canal, with the corrent positioning they are as comfortable as the stock tips, some dont like the looks but they open the sound and for me they improved the sound quality a bit. i loved them. i will be getting some soon

Feb 10, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #5,487 of 5,568
  http://www.earplugstore.com/proguard-earportz-earphone-adapters.html

Dont let the look scare you, they really open up the sound.

Thought u were talking about this

http://www.amazon.com/Proguard-MYO-Mould-custom-earplugs/dp/B00TFXH5QU/ref=sr_1_3?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1423600141&sr=1-3&keywords=proguard+ear

Feb 10, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #5,488 of 5,568
very different the tip tappers from closest to the nozzle to the end of the tip smallest to largest kind of like a horn. imo this opens up the mids and the highs with the w4 and w4r. also these go deeper in your ear creating more isolating creating greater accuracy. they are very comfortable also. just my .02

Feb 11, 2015 at 3:01 AM Post #5,489 of 5,568
  with the w4,4r the phonak audeo tips and 100ohm adapter dramatically help the IEM achieve a better frequency response and sound. if you like those qualities they may be able to incorporate them in a custom for you for example look at the measurments and openings of the phonak audeo tips etc. (insertion depth dramatic effect on frequency response of it alos
)

because tips alter the w4 ,4r so much, if a custom design was poorly executed , or just not paid much attention to in those areas, you could end up with alterations in a negative way . like for example comparing the tonality of the stock med silicone westone star tip vs the phonak audeo tip,
the star tip is longer and smaller opening which presents slight ringing at 200hz and at 10khz compared to the phonak audeo silicone which is shorter and bigger opening which tames those areas so they become natural.

that said it is certainly possible to turn into a custom that is superior to the universal with those things in mind.

here is a page where the gentleman shows exactly what happens with different tips on the westone w4 , 4r

http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2012/12/the-effect-of-ear-sleeves-westone-4.html
important to note the frequency response graphs presented for different tips, are before olive ,harmon, compensation
curves.

below is the phonak tips and 100ohm adapter together after compensation fainted line is before (flat to the ear)[

here is the westone w4 stock with compensation

compared to the westone w4 stock frequency response and also the 100ohm or 33ohm adapter comparison

this information is important for example here is what straight line flat speakers in a room get perceived by us (the way we are used to hearing music)

and also considering equal loudness contour of human hearing

with these things in mind i bet a lot could be achieved with a westone w4,4r turned into a custom (with the right considerations)

I thought u were Bullsh*tting but

I can DEFINITELY ATTEST to the cord...bass a little bit cleaner, tiny bit wider soundstage, mid are clearer...

I am using the ER4p to ER4s cord, with the shure sillicone.

very noticeable under fast pace music with bass slam i.e. Meghan Trainor - Like I'm gonna lose you...

However, the "SSSSS" becoming more pronounce forgive me if my audio terminology is off but I believe its call "hot treble"?

very noticeable End Of Iris - El Tango De Roxanne.

I say the little cord make the W40 just about 15% closer to the W60...the W60 sound is fuller, Bass is just right! that "hot treble" is not there and of course the sound stage is massive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back