Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Jan 26, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #5,446 of 5,568
The guy said "This item can custom made different ohm impedance adaptor(15, 22, 30, 33, 36, 51, 68, 82, 91, 100, 120, 150, 200, 240, 300, 360 & 620ohm)."
I think when you place order you can say you want 100ohm
Thanks Muz, haven't read full page. This not attract me much! This adaptor will cost me a fortune to order, to ship here in Canada. Brookers, customs fee and shipping charge, from Hong Kong its not my next door.
Hi have to tried to find closer, in State maybe. HeadRoom carry similar adaptor, maybe this one can do the job, I hope! 50$ is not cheap neither! http://www.headphone.com/products/etymotic-er-4p-to-er-4s-adapter

thx!

Jan 26, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #5,448 of 5,568
Ops, thought this was the W3 appreciation thread. I got the W3 because I managed to find a good price. I'm after a more fun sound signature and I've already got the um3x which are more similar to the W4s.  
It's ok Fongus! I dont know either if they got one! W3 is ok, its a good starting point toward the 4 !!! :D

Jan 27, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #5,449 of 5,568
oh, and don't be alarmed when the 100ohm adapter drops your volume, that's completly normal , w4, 4r  is efficient enough to not be a problem.
if your not using an amp yet you can get a topping nx1 for like 30 bux it will improve the tightness all around and account for the volume drop very very good amp if your not using one yet.

i noticed before i used an amp the 4r, w4  highs and lows have a "rubbery" quality, then with an amp it fixes this impedance problem called the 1/8th rule. massive difference using 4r or w4 by itself vs with an amp like the topping nx1 (better than fiio 11 and models below) great price , transparent.

Jan 27, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #5,451 of 5,568
oh, and don't be alarmed when the 100ohm adapter drops your volume, that's completly normal , w4, 4r  is efficient enough to not be a problem.
if your not using an amp yet you can get a topping nx1 for like 30 bux it will improve the tightness all around and account for the volume drop very very good amp if your not using one yet.

i noticed before i used an amp the 4r, w4  highs and lows have a "rubbery" quality, then with an amp it fixes this impedance problem called the 1/8th rule. massive difference using 4r or w4 by itself vs with an amp like the topping nx1 (better than fiio 11 and models below) great price , transparent.
? Sorry nx1 amp ? Pict or link please!

Jan 27, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #5,453 of 5,568
Jan 27, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #5,454 of 5,568
Last night I brushed away the cobwebs and pulled out the custom W4Rs out of their lair. I wanted to mess about with cables and such since I have been reading this thread for a bit - also since I received my PFE-232's and have spent a bit reading the 232 thread and when they first came out, they seemed to be in direct competition with each other - an interesting read. 

What I really enjoy about the custom version of the W4R is the bass - it is so much more present and anchors the entire presentation. But last night was the first time I heard my W4Rs with one of my ALO amp/dacs - I hadn't tried it with my International - but since I have been testing out my IEM collection with my new Island, I thought to listen to the W4R through it. WOW.

I always knew (for me) that the 4 sounded a lot better amped - often through my phone there was something lacking - it sounded a bit thin - when they got customized, they got fuller, but still not as nice as through my old DX90 or other amps in the collection...

But the custom W4R through The Island? Talk about rich - and bass notes to rival some of my basshead IEMs - really solid and with wonderful texture - it has been too long not listening to them - the custom is transparent and I tell you that they 4 drivers inside are TINY - but the output is big... 

I don't know how much of this is Westone or ALO - but I am going to pull out the International later and see - but the synergy between the Westones and the ALO is boneroo - I already knew that the International could extract magic from my UM50's - but these W4's still have a lot of play in them - just amazing....

Jan 27, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #5,456 of 5,568
Yeah I stopped buying IEMs after the W4.  Had it for along time now. Unless you're going to spend 1k or go customs I don't think there's better.

Jan 27, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #5,457 of 5,568
Same here , revived W4 from the dead and loving it with dx50/international combo

Ahhh - someone with an International - I tell you it makes everything sound good - it imparts body and musicality - turning it on is like - oh yeah, this is why I listen to music.... this is how it sounds

Jan 28, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #5,458 of 5,568
Think I'm going to have to wait until the Australian Dollar recovers a bit before placing an order on the ALO The International+ 
L3000.gif

Jan 28, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #5,459 of 5,568
  Last night I brushed away the cobwebs and pulled out the custom W4Rs out of their lair. I wanted to mess about with cables and such since I have been reading this thread for a bit - also since I received my PFE-232's and have spent a bit reading the 232 thread and when they first came out, they seemed to be in direct competition with each other - an interesting read. 

What I really enjoy about the custom version of the W4R is the bass - it is so much more present and anchors the entire presentation. But last night was the first time I heard my W4Rs with one of my ALO amp/dacs - I hadn't tried it with my International - but since I have been testing out my IEM collection with my new Island, I thought to listen to the W4R through it. WOW.

I always knew (for me) that the 4 sounded a lot better amped - often through my phone there was something lacking - it sounded a bit thin - when they got customized, they got fuller, but still not as nice as through my old DX90 or other amps in the collection...

But the custom W4R through The Island? Talk about rich - and bass notes to rival some of my basshead IEMs - really solid and with wonderful texture - it has been too long not listening to them - the custom is transparent and I tell you that they 4 drivers inside are TINY - but the output is big... 

I don't know how much of this is Westone or ALO - but I am going to pull out the International later and see - but the synergy between the Westones and the ALO is boneroo - I already knew that the International could extract magic from my UM50's - but these W4's still have a lot of play in them - just amazing....

sweet thanks!

i got my eye on the island and the international now cool

Users who are viewing this thread

Back