Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Jan 30, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #5,176 of 5,568
I never experienced any sibilance with these. Maybe try a different source. The foam/rubber tips might also help. For fit, try some of the larger tips because the green ones are the smallest and may not provide a great seal and comfort. I would suggest the black foam tips and the corresponding star tips. 

Jan 30, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #5,177 of 5,568
No sibilance here either. Maybe burn-in will smooth things out?

And as a former DT-990 owner, I certainly know what sibilance sounds like.
smile.gif

Jan 30, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #5,178 of 5,568
Yea definately didnt expect that, but have seen some posts here and there about it. Not sure if its my ears but im usually not sensitive to sibilance, or if it is something with this particular pair of iems.

Jan 30, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #5,179 of 5,568
Just got some w4's yesterday and overall i really enjoy them, and am pleasantly suprised about a couple of facors... BUT there are also some suprises that I wasn't expecting. source was fiio x3 with lossless or 320kb/s tracks, using green star tips and green foam tips.

The good:
Extended, clear treble. had heard some reveiws of vieled treble and rolled off treble, but these seemed just as extended and airy as my jh5s (don't have them to compare directly as they are getting repaired.
Balanced bass- midbass hump wasn't annoying or in the way at all.
Detailed mids with enough weight and liquidity to make them lush, while still maintaining clarity, detail, and balance with the rest of the spectrum. Mids are probably my favorite part of this iem.

The bad:
SIBILANCE! What? Where did that come from? Last thing i was expecting. More than my jh5's and pfe 232's and... well... even my Klipsch s4's have less sibilance than these. Enough to be a deal breaker. I think that another part that bugs me is that in every other way these are great iems, and i think that makes the sibilance stand out that much more, because it is so out of place and everthing else is so right.
Fit: they fit securely and seal is ok.. but something about the fit is just off and im not a big fan. I was expecting something more like my old se215's but this is much more loose and less secure than i was expecting. Another letdown, although minor.

Overall they are great iems with great qualities, and unlike some i dont find them boring at all. But for the money and considering i like my jh5s better, not sure that these are keepers. Definately liked my pfe232's a bit more. Anyone else experience the sibilance?

i think this is a big common misconception for that with the w4r's

Jan 30, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #5,180 of 5,568
Just got some w4's yesterday and overall i really enjoy them, and am pleasantly suprised about a couple of facors... BUT there are also some suprises that I wasn't expecting. source was fiio x3 with lossless or 320kb/s tracks, using green star tips and green foam tips.

The good:
Detailed mids with enough weight and liquidity to make them lush, while still maintaining clarity, detail, and balance with the rest of the spectrum. Mids are probably my favorite part of this iem.

The bad:
SIBILANCE! What? Where did that come from? Last thing i was expecting. More than my jh5's and pfe 232's and... well... even my Klipsch s4's have less sibilance than these. Enough to be a deal breaker. I think that another part that bugs me is that in every other way these are great iems, and i think that makes the sibilance stand out that much more, because it is so out of place and everthing else is so right.

Surprised by those observations in particular. I always find that the W4R haa fuzzy mids on account of the bass (wouldn't trade off bass as now I've come to love it).

Never heard sibilance, but my context includes the W3 and ATH-CK100PRO, both of which have piercing highs.

Jan 31, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #5,183 of 5,568
Find the right tips. These iem's are very tip dependent. Use a larger tip than you think you normally would. It has to be something in your fit.

Jan 31, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #5,184 of 5,568
  Find the right tips. These iem's are very tip dependent. Use a larger tip than you think you normally would. It has to be something in your fit.

that is one thing i hated about the w4r, its so tip dependent to the point where once you find one that works, its over thats it, but i love to tip roll and the w4r does not allow you to do that.

i found with the um3x its not as tip dependent, obviously the different tips make differences in the frequency response like it would a normal tip, ie: silicone vs foam. but nowhere near the tip dependent of the w4r, that drove me crazy.

Feb 4, 2014 at 3:55 AM Post #5,185 of 5,568
The bad:
Fit: they fit securely and seal is ok.. but something about the fit is just off and im not a big fan. I was expecting something more like my old se215's but this is much more loose and less secure than i was expecting. Another letdown, although minor.

Overall they are great iems with great qualities, and unlike some i dont find them boring at all. But for the money and considering i like my jh5s better, not sure that these are keepers. Definately liked my pfe232's a bit more. Anyone else experience the sibilance?

Not sure what to tell you, but.. when I owned the PFE232s, I found them to be sibilant and quick at fatiguing. I've owned the W4s for years now because they are not in any way shape or form sibilant or fatiguing. I'd look at your source, etc. or perhaps you have a funny pair. Sorry to hear about it!

Feb 7, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #5,186 of 5,568
With a lot of talk around the forums about resistors of different ohmage giving W4R's sound different hue I decided to test it out myself (...and on the go too! :etysmile:) and made THIS :D

Every socket is wired to a pair of carbon film Kiwame 2W resistors of different ohmage: 68Ω, 100Ω, 120Ω and finally 150Ω.
I put them into the syringe whole to use the pair I'm gonna decide on to make a separate resistor adaptor and sell the rest.

Let the battle of the ohms commence!

List of ingredients:
- resistors: carbon film Kiwame 2W 68Ω, 100Ω, 120Ω and 150Ω,
- jack male/female: Neutrik Rean,
- wire: Conducfil Sonolene 3014,
- syringe: Braun Injekt 12ml :wink:.

Feb 7, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #5,187 of 5,568
I feel like you should have added an evil laugh to the end of your post!

Feb 9, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #5,188 of 5,568
@paulus germanus... Brilliant! I await your findings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back