Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Jan 25, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #5,162 of 5,568
I lucked out and picked up the 4R for $300 on an Amazon Lightning Deal a few weeks ago:)

Jan 26, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #5,163 of 5,568
That's a great price congratulations... I was looking on eBay .com yesterday and seen people selling these for upwards around 700 bucks or more..sorry if my figures are a little off..lol just going on memory and im old so it's not that good lol anyways yup it was that much or even a bit more..I think they are taking advantage cause they are discontinued..which really sucks and kinda ignorant imo..something like what they did to the great iem the ck10 ..if you can find them now they will cost you an arm and leg for them..

Jan 26, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #5,166 of 5,568

Have you discovered some Etymotic love? 

LOL yes i have, and when i did i bought the er4p,er4s,er4pt,hf2x2,mc3 i love them all.

with my rig they sound untouchable, i really dont know a iem that would outshine them for the style of music i listen to and my taste for how i want a iem to sound, to me the er4 series is perfect

Jan 28, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #5,167 of 5,568
After reading the whole thread here (yes, that's right!), I gave in and bought the Westone 4R.
I was debating between this and the Shure SE535. 

My first impression when I got them was that the next day I will repackage them and send them back. However, I remembered that there is a period of "adaptation", so I gave it a few days. I've experimented with all kind of tips, and settled on red StarTip for the left ear and grey StarTip for the right. This gives me the best comfort, isolation, and sound balance.

After listening a few days, I went back to my previous IEM's (Klipsch Image X10, Shure SE215) and they sounded terrible in comparison!  The Klipsch X10 is actually not bad, however, not in the same league by a long shot.

Now, after a couple of weeks of continues listening and tuning, I don't think I could ever go back! I'm not sorry at all for the "spur of the moment" purchase.

Thank you all for your comments in this thread, they helped a lot!

Jan 28, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #5,168 of 5,568
  After reading the whole thread here (yes, that's right!), I gave in and bought the Westone 4R.
I was debating between this and the Shure SE535. 

My first impression when I got them was that the next day I will repackage them and send them back. However, I remembered that there is a period of "adaptation", so I gave it a few days. I've experimented with all kind of tips, and settled on red StarTip for the left ear and grey StarTip for the right. This gives me the best comfort, isolation, and sound balance.

After listening a few days, I went back to my previous IEM's (Klipsch Image X10, Shure SE215) and they sounded terrible in comparison!  The Klipsch X10 is actually not bad, however, not in the same league by a long shot.

Now, after a couple of weeks of continues listening and tuning, I don't think I could ever go back! I'm not sorry at all for the "spur of the moment" purchase.

Thank you all for your comments in this thread, they helped a lot!

You made the right choice IMO.  Have both and the W4's are by far my favorite.  Better sound, comfort, and cable.

Some people may find the 535 less 'boring'  but it ends up becoming very fatiguing to me.  Kind of defeats the purpose of good sound when I can only keep it in my ear for a limited time.  Though like anything on this site, you will have advocates for both products.

Jan 28, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #5,169 of 5,568
I did a short me of listen today with my new um3x coming from the w4r fresh I am really liking the sound signature of the um3x vs the w4r.

The um3x have excellent bass which the w4r lacks. The soundstage on the um3x is more intimate More of a musicians in ear monitor. Mids remind me of the se535. Vocals are excellent.

I definitely think it was a good move from the w4r to the um3x I got bored of the w4r they are great and like everyone says they don't do anything wrong but they aren't as fun as the um3x...

But just my opinion

Jan 28, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #5,170 of 5,568
Moose,  do you find the UM3X generally more coherent as well?  Once you get use to W4 you don't really notice but there is certainly something a little bit out of whack with the lower midrange cloudiness.

Jan 28, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #5,171 of 5,568
Yes I do find that to be true. The midrange on the um3x is more coherent. I noticed that right away. In comparison to the w4r you are right the lower mid range seems to bleed into the lows imo causing that cloudiness in the w4r.

You are also right its alot like the se535 but smoother and more bass. But the bass doesn't bleed into the mids so there seems to be a good amount of separation between the frequencies.

Jan 30, 2014 at 4:47 AM Post #5,172 of 5,568
Hi guys.

I finally removed the mid-foam tips from my w4r and I now testing the mid-plastic (silicon?). Are they a bit bright? I think the balance is towards the high or its a random observation based on the songs I had in the list?

Ill probably order the Comply Confort t100 later today.

Jan 30, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #5,173 of 5,568
Hi guys.

I finally removed the mid-foam tips from my w4r and I now testing the mid-plastic (silicon?). Are they a bit bright? I think the balance is towards the high or its a random observation based on the songs I had in the list?

Ill probably order the Comply Confort t100 later today.

Foam is going to tame mids and highs comply will do the same.

Silicone will be more neutral and show how the Iem sounds without the taming of mids or highs like foam.

I wouldn't call it bright as much as it's just bringing out the mids and highs.

A B the foam and comply and then a b foam and silicone you will see how much detail is lost with foam

Jan 30, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #5,174 of 5,568
Foam is going to tame mids and highs comply will do the same.

Silicone will be more neutral and show how the Iem sounds without the taming of mids or highs like foam.

I wouldn't call it bright as much as it's just bringing out the mids and highs.

A B the foam and comply and then a b foam and silicone you will see how much detail is lost with foam

I like a bit more the bottom heavy distribution but in terms of comfort silicon is better at the moment. Ill wait tomorrow for the comply (got both Iso and comfort)
Silicon is really bad in terms of isolation!  

Jan 30, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #5,175 of 5,568
Just got some w4's yesterday and overall i really enjoy them, and am pleasantly suprised about a couple of facors... BUT there are also some suprises that I wasn't expecting. source was fiio x3 with lossless or 320kb/s tracks, using green star tips and green foam tips.

The good:
Extended, clear treble. had heard some reveiws of vieled treble and rolled off treble, but these seemed just as extended and airy as my jh5s (don't have them to compare directly as they are getting repaired.
Balanced bass- midbass hump wasn't annoying or in the way at all.
Detailed mids with enough weight and liquidity to make them lush, while still maintaining clarity, detail, and balance with the rest of the spectrum. Mids are probably my favorite part of this iem.

The bad:
SIBILANCE! What? Where did that come from? Last thing i was expecting. More than my jh5's and pfe 232's and... well... even my Klipsch s4's have less sibilance than these. Enough to be a deal breaker. I think that another part that bugs me is that in every other way these are great iems, and i think that makes the sibilance stand out that much more, because it is so out of place and everthing else is so right.
Fit: they fit securely and seal is ok.. but something about the fit is just off and im not a big fan. I was expecting something more like my old se215's but this is much more loose and less secure than i was expecting. Another letdown, although minor.

Overall they are great iems with great qualities, and unlike some i dont find them boring at all. But for the money and considering i like my jh5s better, not sure that these are keepers. Definately liked my pfe232's a bit more. Anyone else experience the sibilance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back