Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Feb 18, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #5,206 of 5,568
Not only that, the W4 is a real sweet spot.   It has all the great detail, imaging, clarity, textured bass, terrific midrange, large soundstage.....it does it all.  I'm generalizing but it mostly seems that the only thinng the $1,000 universals have on it is a fuller sound.  That's just not enough of an added feature to more than double the pricetag.

Feb 21, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #5,207 of 5,568
I'm still having to amp the W4 to get their best performance - they really open up with the HiFi-M8 or HM-901 (or Pico Slim, RSA- SR-71b etc).  It's like waking them up with coffee and taking off a veil when used with the right amp.  This was leading me to use one set of phones amped and one set unamp'd (W3 unamped, and either W4 or Primo 8 amp'd)

They're nice and efficient for unamped listening, with a pleasing tonal balance, but I don't own much gear that isn't amped while still sounding as good as the old iPhone 4s did when un-amped.  Maybe my iPad air comes close, but my iPhone 5s definitely is more mid-forward and less detailed/clear than the old iPhone 4s.

With the iPhone 5s headphone out I find the W3 to be a better match, as they're already more energetic and yet more relaxed in the mids to accommodate the 5s sound. Does anyone know, how did Apple screw up the headphone out?

Feb 21, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #5,208 of 5,568
IMO, Go Custom! Westone ES5 or JH16 In the Universal world, the W4r is still the best... for the money can buy! Maybe other Headfier here can have some other alternatives!

:D

Feb 22, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #5,209 of 5,568
IMO, Go Custom! Westone ES5 or JH16 In the Universal world, the W4r is still the best... for the money can buy! Maybe other Headfier here can have some other alternatives!

biggrin.gif

Already done that, but I don't like to worry about losing the $$$ customs when mobile, so I often carry a nice (and one cheap) universal IEM in my pocket instead.

Feb 22, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #5,210 of 5,568
What's the issue to be mobile using your custom ? Ok! understand, maybe you get some bad experience in the past? losing it...?

Is like a friend of mine, when he goes on a trips, he always prefer to brings with him his cheaper lens.
(For obvious reasons, to make it damaged, stolen, weight, getting some sand in...) at the expense of getting the most beautiful pictures.

Being myself a Photographer, I always bring with me my best lens when traveling, I bring only one, but my best one! So I always have the chance to capture the best photographys.
When on the field, I always try to carry light to!...with my best gear! Its like comparing Jpeg vs RAW

I personally prefer to enjoy my music everyday, everywhere with my best gear! Otherwise, my ears could become jealous and frustrated! IMPO

Feb 24, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #5,211 of 5,568
What's the issue to be mobile using your custom ? Ok! understand, maybe you get some bad experience in the past? losing it...?

Is like a friend of mine, when he goes on a trips, he always prefer to brings with him his cheaper lens.
(For obvious reasons, to make it damaged, stolen, weight, getting some sand in...) at the expense of getting the most beautiful pictures.

Being myself a Photographer, I always bring with me my best lens when traveling, I bring only one, but my best one! So I always have the chance to capture the best photographys.
When on the field, I always try to carry light to!...with my best gear! Its like comparing Jpeg vs RAW

I personally prefer to enjoy my music everyday, everywhere with my best gear! Otherwise, my ears could become jealous and frustrated! IMPO

If you've ever taken out your custom IEM and hung them around your neck by the cable and did some things, then went back to put them in your ears to find that an ear-piece has fallen off the cable, you'd be afraid too.

Now, when I travel I'll take my customs with me, but I'm not walking around the mall or park with them.  And sometimes I'll leave the JH16Pro and ES5 at home, and carry my older JH13Pro or ES3X with me.  Prior to getting my JH16Pro and ES5 I actually got two sets of JH13Pro, one for home and one for travel.  But with universal IEM as good as they are, I don't want to drop a $400-600/side custom ear-piece on the ground.

Feb 24, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #5,212 of 5,568
If you've ever taken out your custom IEM and hung them around your neck by the cable and did some things, then went back to put them in your ears to find that an ear-piece has fallen off the cable, you'd be afraid too.

Now, when I travel I'll take my customs with me, but I'm not walking around the mall or park with them.  And sometimes I'll leave the JH16Pro and ES5 at home, and carry my older JH13Pro or ES3X with me.  Prior to getting my JH16Pro and ES5 I actually got two sets of JH13Pro, one for home and one for travel.  But with universal IEM as good as they are, I don't want to drop a $400-600/side custom ear-piece on the ground.

Huge iem collection Mr. Ganz! :wink:

Feb 24, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #5,213 of 5,568
I love my W4R's .... some opinions on how much would I need to spend to get an iem with a significantly better sq than the W4R?

IMO, Go Custom! Westone ES5 or JH13/JH16 In the Universal world, the W4r is still the best... for the money can buy! Maybe other Headfier here can have some other alternatives!

Edit: ... Better mean big word, better in what, in freq resp?... what are your expectations? What is Your definition of Better? As you already known, we all hear sounds differently!

You have to experiment by yourself to find your Better Holy Grail ... In this You are your own judge! Experiment is at your expense! Much better in the cup!

Dont look the cup... look inside of it! [W4r is in it] Often, money mean nothing! ...

:D

Feb 24, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #5,214 of 5,568
  I love my W4R's .... some opinions on how much would I need to spend to get an iem with a significantly better sq than the W4R?

Does not exist.  From that level you can only purchase something that might be slightly better and it would all be relative to your tastes.

I still prefer W4R to the JH13 I had.

Feb 24, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #5,216 of 5,568
Going to the W40 as I felt that W4R was maybe the best product out there at its price point. I'm not in a position right now to take that jump up to $700-$1000.
The UM3X might do a few thing better than W4 but its "stage monitor" characteristic makes it sort of niche and not great all rounder. For some reason I was really noticing a front and center dominance with drums which was a little distracting. Its probably always been there but another poster mentioned it an it really resonated with me. So as good as UM3X is, any earpiece that is a monitor especially for drummers or vocalists will surely lack other attributes that one might want as an audiophiles piece that might sound more musical.

Feb 25, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #5,217 of 5,568
Going to the W40 as I felt that W4R was maybe the best product out there at its price point. I'm not in a position right now to take that jump up to $700-$1000.
The UM3X might do a few thing better than W4 but its "stage monitor" characteristic makes it sort of niche and not great all rounder. For some reason I was really noticing a front and center dominance with drums which was a little distracting. Its probably always been there but another poster mentioned it an it really resonated with me. So as good as UM3X is, any earpiece that is a monitor especially for drummers or vocalists will surely lack other attributes that one might want as an audiophiles piece that might sound more musical.

Agree. Once I have W4 on my ears, I will not take that off 
biggrin.gif
. The sound is very addictive although it takes some time to get used to since I used to be a bass-head. I consider W4 as a delicacy and have to use it sparingly, afraid that if I use too much the cable might get stiff due to oil / sweat, eventho I don't sweat much. 

Feb 25, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #5,219 of 5,568
Have anyone tried the VC1000 to give me a comparison? or the R-50? Thanks.

Both VC1000 and R-50 are slightly brighter and thinner note weight to Westone 4 (especially the R-50) 

I think Westone 4 is superior, although for those preferring a slightly cooler sound both VC1000 and R-50 are good IEM's at their price point.

If you're going for rock or EDM between the two cooler IEM's mentioned take VC1000, it's more versatile than R-50, has better isolation.

Personally W4 lack some dynamics for my preferences, they're a little dull. though I do not find them  'boring' as many people label them. I can understand why so many people praise Westone 4 as they really don't do much wrong, (hard to fault) and for those who prefer slightly warmer midrange tone, (a very non fatiguing tone) would be right at  home, just as preference I lean in the opposite direction.

This didn't stop me being sold on W4 and (W4R), though my ownership with them was short lived due to my fond love of hybrids.

Feb 25, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #5,220 of 5,568

Both VC1000 and R-50 are slightly brighter and thinner note weight to Westone 4 (especially the R-50) 

I think Westone 4 is superior, although for those preferring a slightly cooler sound both VC1000 and R-50 are good IEM's at their price point.

If you're going for rock or EDM between the two cooler IEM's mentioned take VC1000, it's more versatile than R-50, has better isolation.

Personally W4 lack some dynamics for my preferences, they're a little dull. though I do not find them  'boring' as many people label them. I can understand why so many people praise Westone 4 as they really don't do much wrong, (hard to fault) and for those who prefer slightly warmer midrange tone, (a very non fatiguing tone) would be right at  home, just as preference I lean in the opposite direction.

This didn't stop me being sold on W4 and (WR4), though my ownership with them was short lived due to my fond love of hybrids.

Well, I'm going for rock, specifically modern rock. 

The W4 has less bass than the VC? What about soundstage, instrument separation, imaging, clarity? I suppose W4 do it all better, just not sure about clarity as some say it is veiled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back