Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Feb 26, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #5,237 of 5,568
Thanks, I'll keep my eyes open :wink:

Used iem should be more expensive than a brand new! ... because it as already be burned! Ready for delivered all his smoothness!

Good search!

:D

Feb 26, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #5,239 of 5,568
I use my iPhone 5 as my primary source for my w4r's. When I am at home I am using Pico DAC---> rsa protector ----> w4r's.

The iPhone 5 is a fine source.

I also do not use an added resistor. I have one and opt against it.

Feb 26, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #5,240 of 5,568
I have had the hp-p1 connected to iPod touch 5g for over a year now & the sound with the 4R is absolutely amazing. Even while watching HD movies it's a blissful experience. I recently bought a smaller cable to pair the touch & hp-p1.

Mar 6, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #5,241 of 5,568
I think this needs to be updated
http://www.head-fi.org/a/diy-cable-info-and-resources#connectors

Because says here Westone old series (W4 and UM3X etc) share the same 2-pin style connectors with Jerry Harvey CIEMs and Ultimate Ears CIEMs??

Mar 8, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #5,242 of 5,568
Have anyone tried the Westone's true-fit foam tips?

Recently I bought and received these and I'm very impressed. I'm preferring these over the the black star tips because the isolation is much greater without sacrificing the overall sound, in my opinion (I had tried numbers of tracks and found nothing were changed with the SQ nor the soundstage). Another thing, the star tips make W4 too bright which tires my ears fast, or could be that the star tips don't isolate much so outside sound interfere with the SQ. But with the true-fit, the tonality is just right. 

Will test the isolation when I commute / driving car in freeway.

Mar 8, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #5,244 of 5,568
  I do not like them.  Once on they are almost impossible to remove without ruining.  Exit hole is kind of small.  I think Comply makes far better tips.

The true-fit foams aren't that difficult to remove though. The Shure olives are the impossible ones I thought. I've applied the foams to my UM3x and W4 so gonna give em a week to try. Edit: I admit both of the IEM didn't suffer loss of SQ once the foam were put. Maybe my ears cannot hear slight differences in SQ, but the huge plus is the isolation for sure.

Mar 8, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #5,245 of 5,568
I've never been able to remove Comply tips without ruining them. 

Next time I need foamies I'll try the tru-fits.

Mar 8, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #5,246 of 5,568
  Have anyone tried the Westone's true-fit foam tips?

Recently I bought and received these and I'm very impressed. I'm preferring these over the the black star tips because the isolation is much greater without sacrificing the overall sound, in my opinion (I had tried numbers of tracks and found nothing were changed with the SQ nor the soundstage). Another thing, the star tips make W4 too bright which tires my ears fast, or could be that the star tips don't isolate much so outside sound interfere with the SQ. But with the true-fit, the tonality is just right. 

Will test the isolation when I commute / driving car in freeway.

No offense, but it's probably not the best idea to drive with your iems in your ears blocking out the sound of emergency sirens, car horns, and the like.

Mar 9, 2014 at 3:06 AM Post #5,247 of 5,568
  No offense, but it's probably not the best idea to drive with your iems in your ears blocking out the sound of emergency sirens, car horns, and the like.

I am kidding, the isolation is scary; I couldn't feel my surrounding. No Joke. But it proves that it isolates really well. By the way, the black true-fit is hell to put on the UM3x because it has longer nozzle. And I agree with spyro that the nozzle is small on these ones but I have the bigger bore True-fit as shown below:

I received the bigger bore from the repaired W4 sent by the Westone company while ago; the foam comes with it. The bigger bore opens up the sound more and is easier to insert; so I put 'em on my UM3x because it was pain in the **** to insert / remove with the small-hole true-fits. Strangely, I've been looking everywhere in all sites but all they sell is the small ones, including the Westone's site. I wonder the smaller one is preferable to the bigger ones? I emailed the Westone company hope those won't affect sound quality. 

edit: apparently the bigger nozzle ones are all sold out in every sites; the only ones available is the one sold in bulk (100 pieces) for 50 bucks...I emailed the sites, sonicelectronix.com, and hope they could sell them in small portion.

Mar 9, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #5,248 of 5,568
I've never been able to remove Comply tips without ruining them. 

Next time I need foamies I'll try the tru-fits.

I usally rub a drop of Oto-ease lubricant around nozzles b4 inserting any kind of tips! ... Still a fan of Shure yellow foamys! ... and Sony (hybrid) tips!

:wink:

Mar 27, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #5,249 of 5,568
I've been reading the close to universal praise given to the Westone 4R. I'm wondering though, how does the Westone 4R compare to the Shure SE535 in terms of sound isolation and comfort?

Mar 27, 2014 at 7:33 AM Post #5,250 of 5,568
Personal opinion: W4R is a tad more comfortable than Shure. Isolation is more a function of the tips selected, I'd say they are about the same. Check joker's thread for a more deep comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back