Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Sep 26, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #4,681 of 5,568
Don't know if this has been posted already, but I just got an email from  Earphone Solutions that they're running a deal with the Westone 4R for $300 ($200 off).  Thought I'd pass that along since it seams like a good deal for a new pair.

Sep 26, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #4,683 of 5,568
Sorry, repetitive post

Sep 26, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #4,684 of 5,568
  What kind of music does this IEM do well with? I listen to R&B, Ballads, Pop, and some Rock. would these do well with that genre of music? and how is the isolation? I want to use these on the go and isolation is important. I was extremely disappointed with my IE8s because I could not achieve a good seal for proper isolation. I am currently using my Beyerdynamic DT-1350's for that purpose, and I love it.

A few off the cuff comparative comments that may be of some use:

IE8's are ported - so they don't isolate well even if you were getting a good seal.  W4's are not ported and have a great shape and a very comfortable fit for most folks.  You have, imo, a much better likelihood of getting a good fit with them based on their ergonomics.  W4's isolate reasonably well, but not to the same degree as something like an etymotic er6i.  On the flip side, my etymotics were so microphonic that you couldn't really walk around with them in because all you would hear was cable noise.  W4's (much liked IE8's) don't have this issue.

With respect to genres, ba IEM's don't have the bass impact of a dynamic driver, and you may find that lacking when listing to R&B.  Otherwise, they are great all arounders.  Their SQ is a definite upgrade coming from IE8's, which I also owned for several years (until a driver failed).  

Sep 27, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #4,685 of 5,568
Don't know if this has been posted already, but I just got an email from  Earphone Solutions that they're running a deal with the Westone 4R for $300 ($200 off).  Thought I'd pass that along since it seams like a good deal for a new pair.

Just pulled the trigger on a set, $300 is just to good. Currently using some HD600's so will be interested in the In-Ear experiance. Now I just need my HiFi M8 to turn up..

Sep 27, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #4,686 of 5,568
Just pulled the trigger on a set, $300 is just to good. Currently using some HD600's so will be interested in the In-Ear experiance. Now I just need my HiFi M8 to turn up..

I've just recently came to the W4 from the HD580 (same drivers as the HD600) and am pleased with what I'm hearing. There's a stronger bass presence in the HD580 and the mids are closer, but overall the transition has been pleasant. 

Sep 27, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #4,687 of 5,568
I love my HD600 when listening at home and TripleFi 10 is my on the move listening.  I love the sound on these two.  I am seeing 4R deal and thinking about pulling the trigger.  Does 4R sound close to, equal, or better then the two I mention above?  Thanks for your opinion...

Sep 27, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #4,688 of 5,568
I love my HD600 when listening at home and TripleFi 10 is my on the move listening.  I love the sound on these two.  I am seeing 4R deal and thinking about pulling the trigger.  Does 4R sound close to, equal, or better then the two I mention above?  Thanks for your opinion...

IMO, 4R is better than the TF10. But that said, both have quite a different sound signature. The TF10 is a very fun sounding earphone while the 4R is more balanced with a slight mid bass boost. Quality of bass on the 4R is better than TF10. 4R works well across most genres of music particularly excelling with classical. For me, the 4R is definitely a huge leap above the TF10. But both does compliment each other well and worth keeping.

Sep 27, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #4,689 of 5,568
IMO, 4R is better than the TF10. But that said, both have quite a different sound signature. The TF10 is a very fun sounding earphone while the 4R is more balanced with a slight mid bass boost. Quality of bass on the 4R is better than TF10. 4R works well across most genres of music particularly excelling with classical. For me, the 4R is definitely a huge leap above the TF10. But both does compliment each other well and worth keeping.

i agree. but for price point the the tf10 are very hard to beat IMO. i regret selling mt tf10 for a beat around headphone.

i also feel the 4r is only as good as its counter parts. the better the counter parts, the better they sound and new life they tsake on.

Sep 27, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #4,690 of 5,568

i agree. but for price point the the tf10 are very hard to beat IMO. i regret selling mt tf10 for a beat around headphone.

i also feel the 4r is only as good as its counter parts. the better the counter parts, the better they sound and new life they tsake on.

What price point? The W4R is $299. The TF10 is maybe $50 cheaper unless you get lucky on ebay.

Sep 27, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #4,693 of 5,568

Thanks for your comment.  Yes, as other said: TF10 price point is hard to beat.  Especially, when you got the $95 deal from Amazon.  I love TF10 so much that I got it for all my kids.  And now they won't listen to any IEM lesser than TF10.  My fault!!!  Anyhow, I will give the 4R a try.  Thank you  all :)

Sep 27, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #4,694 of 5,568
Thanks for your comment.  Yes, as other said: TF10 price point is hard to beat.  Especially, when you got the $95 deal from Amazon.  I love TF10 so much that I got it for all my kids.  And now they won't listen to any IEM lesser than TF10.  My fault!!!  Anyhow, I will give the 4R a try.  Thank you  all :)

You're welcome! :) But at the price point of 299 for a brand new retail set of 4R and 2 years warranty, honestly nothing comes close anymore. To me the price to value ratio now far exceeded the TF10. You won't be awfully respond with a WOW to the 4R on the first listen, but give it some time and it'll prove to be one of the most beautifully tuned IEM around. :)

Sep 27, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #4,695 of 5,568
Really liking these a lot right now.  All around (besides mids), these are a huge improvement over the Shure SE530s.  Much better fit, more textured, tighter bass, and more extended highs.  

The fit to be honest is pretty incredible.  The plastic tubing helps so much and eliminates any pull around the ear.  I'm sure the foam will degrade with time, but the tips right now hold a perfect fit for a pretty long period of time.  Hopefully custom tips are in my future horizon

Also much better than the V-MODA M100s, and I would venture to say the Sony MDR 1Rs, as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back