Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Aug 28, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #4,516 of 5,568
Yeah, having to change the comply tips every 6 weeks (ideally 3 weeks, but I try to squeeze every bit of life out lol) isn't fun, either. I use the small size comply tips because the medium were a touch too large (they would gradually puff out a ways and I would have to keep pushing them in). 

I'll order a pair of S, M and L EarPortz. I like that they are clear, for maintenance purposes. I've also had my eye on that 5N OCC Silver Plated cable on eBay... I know you like it Mooses, and I'm all about affordable upgrades.

yes,that is the only downside of using Comply foam, however, what is the best way to prolong the Comply foam tips ?

Aug 28, 2013 at 4:41 AM Post #4,517 of 5,568
Quote:
yes,that is the only downside of using Comply foam, however, what is the best way to prolong the Comply foam tips ?

Typically, I only change the tips when I see a tear. Sometimes I change them when they get so worn out that they are too soft and don't seal anymore...but they usually tear before that happens.

I gently remove any wax on them after use. I try to use them in cool environments so I'm not sweating as much. I avoid jamming them in my ear canals as much as possible. Sometimes I have to fiddle with them to get the fit, but the more I do that, the quicker I notice the tips will wear out.

Unfortunately, more than any factor, I think the amount of hours they are used determine how long they last. In school I listened for 4+ hours in a row, easy, after class while working away on projects. That is when I changed them more often, every 3 to 4 weeks. Nowadays I don't do as much long-term listening. Office life relies on being more proficient at everything and definitely relies more on communication. My listening remains largely at home now, and I'd say I listen for maybe 2 hours every other day. So, shorter sessions mean less moisture and a generally longer life.

Aug 28, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #4,519 of 5,568
Typically, I only change the tips when I see a tear. Sometimes I change them when they get so worn out that they are too soft and don't seal anymore...but they usually tear before that happens.

I gently remove any wax on them after use. I try to use them in cool environments so I'm not sweating as much. I avoid jamming them in my ear canals as much as possible. Sometimes I have to fiddle with them to get the fit, but the more I do that, the quicker I notice the tips will wear out.

Unfortunately, more than any factor, I think the amount of hours they are used determine how long they last. In school I listened for 4+ hours in a row, easy, after class while working away on projects. That is when I changed them more often, every 3 to 4 weeks. Nowadays I don't do as much long-term listening. Office life relies on being more proficient at everything and definitely relies more on communication. My listening remains largely at home now, and I'd say I listen for maybe 2 hours every other day. So, shorter sessions mean less moisture and a generally longer life.

Cool, many thanks mate for the sharing here :)

Aug 29, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #4,520 of 5,568
Quote:

I am a huge fan of the Comply P100's (Med) which are deeper and provide outstanding penetration and sound.

To keep them in nearly pristine condition, I clean my ear canals before insertion and it only takes a few seconds.I wet my pinkie fingers and gently moisten each canal, then dry with a Kleenex or a piece of toilet paper. As a result, there is little or no ear wax in the canals when the Comply's are inserted; thus, they never get soiled and last a very long time. I bought a six pack back in December and am still on the original pair and still no sign that they need to be replaced. YMMV. 

Aug 30, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #4,521 of 5,568
Yep... Comply's last me a long time. Ears are kept clean. But when the foam dies and won't compress, or whatever, out they go. No biggie here.
But I clip the foam overhang down to the plastic core so that there is no diminution of the highs. Very important with the W4's especially, since they dive off a bit anyway.
Regular P-series, Large for me since I'm cutting them down a bit. These can stay in all day. No issues. Love 'em!

Aug 30, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #4,522 of 5,568
Cool, many thanks people for your reply and tips :)

Aug 31, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #4,523 of 5,568
Just ordered the Westone 4r and the SE-535. The 535 won't come in until Tuesday, and the 4R came in today. I'm still trying to adjust to the 4R. I know it has a very neutral sound signature, but I'm so used to having more weight to the bass and sound (coming from the HD-650/LCD-2 and the SE-215 IEM).

The detail in the music is incredible though. 

Aug 31, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #4,524 of 5,568
Just a little (off-topic) add-on. Earlier I asked if I should return my W4R because my right monitor wasn't producing as much sound as it's supposed to or if I could try to fix it some other way. Turns out that I did had to ship it back and surprise, surprise.. the customer service from Variphone, one of the official dealerships of Westone products in Europe, was excellent. They gave me a brand new unit for extra charge. I got to experience the pleasure of unboxing them once again
biggrin.gif

This does bring me to another question, do some of you use the 4R while exercising, running or any other activity that produces a lot of sweat? I used the Comply P100 tips a replaced them when necessary but maybe I should invest in getting some UM56's to keep the sweat out. (Or not use the 4R altogether)

Aug 31, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #4,525 of 5,568
Quote:

This does bring me to another question, do some of you use the 4R while exercising, running or any other activity that produces a lot of sweat? I used the Comply P100 tips a replaced them when necessary but maybe I should invest in getting some UM56's to keep the sweat out. (Or not use the 4R altogether)

I would try to avoid using the 4R for exercise just as a precaution. It's too expensive in my opinion to take any risks doing so...

I, personally, am thinking about getting the RE-400 for exercise use because I've been told it has a similar signature though not as defined.  I'll probably be getting a clip zip, too, to avoid using my more expensive DAP....

Edit: Another option I've been looking at is the KEF M200, though I have not been able to distinguish if it will sound similar to the 4R based off impressions. 

Aug 31, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #4,526 of 5,568
Quote:
Just ordered the Westone 4r and the SE-535. The 535 won't come in until Tuesday, and the 4R came in today. I'm still trying to adjust to the 4R. I know it has a very neutral sound signature, but I'm so used to having more weight to the bass and sound (coming from the HD-650/LCD-2 and the SE-215 IEM).

The detail in the music is incredible though. 

Welcome in W4 arena! Hope youl enjoye you new monitor! ... Why are you buy two different IEM? Is it all for you? or using for some test on them?

Agred, W4 have lots of details in it, it sound very musical to me. Like the Audeze, W4 are aw audiophile monitor!

biggrin.gif
  thinking to upgrade next year to a next level! CIEM

Aug 31, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #4,528 of 5,568
Quote:
Just a little (off-topic) add-on. Earlier I asked if I should return my W4R because my right monitor wasn't producing as much sound as it's supposed to or if I could try to fix it some other way. Turns out that I did had to ship it back and surprise, surprise.. the customer service from Variphone, one of the official dealerships of Westone products in Europe, was excellent. They gave me a brand new unit for extra charge. I got to experience the pleasure of unboxing them once again
biggrin.gif

I use W4R for exercising all the time. I exercise 6 days a week and alternate between weightlifting and jogging. With that said, I wouldn't recommend these earphones to anyone for exercising. I've already broken three wires, and a fourth one is showing signs of giving out. It's not physically noticeable, but it appears that the part with the plastic mold that bends the wire around your ears gives out after a few months because I put the wires through quite a bit of abuse. The drivers themselves are perfectly fine, though. I haven't dropped a weight on them yet. *knock on wood*

I'm trying an aftermarket Fiio cable to see whether or not it's more durable. At least it gave me an excuse to try out another cable and see whether or not this whole cable business is snake oil or not. I personally can't tell any difference in sound quality. I'm not sure what people are talking about when they say a different wire makes a huge difference. ¬_¬

Aug 31, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #4,529 of 5,568
Quote:

I wouldn't recommend these earphones to anyone for exercising. I've already broken three wires, and a fourth one is showing signs of giving out. It's not physically noticeable, but it appears that the part with the plastic mold that bends the wire around your ears gives out after a few months because I put the wires through quite a bit of abuse. The drivers themselves are perfectly fine, though. I haven't dropped a weight on them yet. *knock on wood*

Jeez....What do you do to them?  Is it an abrassive wear on the cable or a short out from yankem them out of place? and getting them stuck?  I have yet to have any problems with any of my IEM cables by any manufacturer by just following a few basic rules and I sweat like a pig daily using my stock JH5 cables and it sounds as fabulous as the day I got them.

Aug 31, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #4,530 of 5,568
Quote:

Jeez....What do you do to them?  Is it an abrassive wear on the cable or a short out from yankem them out of place? and getting them stuck?  I have yet to have any problems with any of my IEM cables by any manufacturer by just following a few basic rules and I sweat like a pig daily using my stock JH5 cables and it sounds as fabulous as the day I got them.

If I bend them in the right direct or bend the cables around the area a little bit, they work again. It's from yanking them around so much when I'm exercising. The wires somehow manage to get caught on something. I don't think sweat is contributing at all to the cable wear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back