Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Aug 23, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #4,486 of 5,568
Quote:
Agree!

I have been using  the E2c sil tips either, but not the clear (vinyle) one, and the only foam I like, I can tolerate is the yellow foam and the "Olive"

My next move willbe earportz! ...  why W4 is so tips dependant !  :/

biggrin.gif

good question and personally i cannot answer, but it is very much so tip depentant, everyone comes to their own conclusion about what tip works best for them. i remember with the se535 i used to own, it was more of a matter of just getting the right size, the w4 not so much, its not just size, but also the design of the tip that effects the sound signature. for better or worse, so you gotta go through a bit of tips that give you that sound signature you are looking for.

but the #1 thing i found with tips and the w4 is the flange opening is extremely important. like i said the star tips would have been great if the tip of the opening was flared out. instead its too narrow too small, it doesnt allow for wide soundstage, it muffle the highs and mids, lows i dont feel are really that effect by the star tips, but it seems like it collapses the soundstage and drowns out or veil the mids and highs....its a real shame imo

Aug 23, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #4,487 of 5,568
Quote:

good question and personally i cannot answer, but it is very much so tip depentant, everyone comes to their own conclusion about what tip works best for them. i remember with the se535 i used to own, it was more of a matter of just getting the right size, the w4 not so much, its not just size, but also the design of the tip that effects the sound signature. for better or worse, so you gotta go through a bit of tips that give you that sound signature you are looking for.

but the #1 thing i found with tips and the w4 is the flange opening is extremely important. like i said the star tips would have been great if the tip of the opening was flared out. instead its too narrow too small, it doesnt allow for wide soundstage, it muffle the highs and mids, lows i dont feel are really that effect by the star tips, but it seems like it collapses the soundstage and drowns out or veil the mids and highs....its a real shame imo

Yup, agree, Nozzle size and shape make a huge diff in SQ!  U have to use all of ur imaginations to get the right fit, to reach the signature u will be like, and until you decide its time to reach the next Level!!
Humans, will be never satisfied! Always wanting better, better, and better! Until he died! ... Brain will interprete, or decide the sound sig. you'l be liked!   IMO 
wink_face.gif

Humm, time to begin seriously thinking about... upgrade to CIEM!  Maybe JH5 (same price range of the W4r)   (JH13 or ES5)

ksc75smile.gif

Aug 23, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #4,489 of 5,568
Earportz silicone tips, have you already hear about this strange tips? Have'nt thried yet! Have you?

U mention that you like the Shure silicone tips!?  From memory, these sili tips have a smal opening bore. Any tip that has a larger bore will delevery more... IMO

Am using now Sony (hybrid-mod) tips. Bores are wider than any Shure tips! Wider the better, no???

:wink:
Yes I've heard of those tips but I haven't tried them yet. I would like to though. And your rite they have the small bore but I think it sounds good. Maybe not as good as larger bores I'm not sure cause I haven't tried them yet but I'm going to mod some soon as I get time to and hopefully it brings the sound wider and more clear maybe in the mids. I'm not sure. But I'm really thinking about ordering those tips ill try anything once. Lol

Aug 23, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #4,491 of 5,568
Quote:

That's confusing.  The whole purpose of designing the star tips was to INCREASE the flange opening so it was same as complys (which they are).  The previous style grey flex tips are the silicone tips that have a tiny "dot" like opening which do the things you say they do.  I love the star tips on my SE535.

Aug 23, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #4,492 of 5,568
Yes I've heard of those tips but I haven't tried them yet. I would like to though. And your rite they have the small bore but I think it sounds good. Maybe not as good as larger bores I'm not sure cause I haven't tried them yet but I'm going to mod some soon as I get time to and hopefully it brings the sound wider and more clear maybe in the mids. I'm not sure. But I'm really thinking about ordering those tips ill try anything once. Lol

Regarding changing the tips with another sleeve, I have done what Doc Holliday showed to me, it is actually making a difference, I can now hear the bright and sparkly sound of the music quite differently from my original experiences with Comply Foam Tx400 and also STAR tips, however I am now thinking that complete reshelling with larger bore size could potentially make the whole sound quality different.

because no matter how wide or different the sleeve is, the W4/W4R bore is always be the same.

So i'd love to hear anyone here who have reshell-ed their W4/W4R to share your experience here with us.

Aug 23, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #4,493 of 5,568
I originally didn't want to change bore sizes, I tried keeping a solid frame of mind thinking Westone knew exactly what they were doing when making silicon tips with a bore the size of microscopic pin head, by all means they don't sound bad that way however, I feel those mushroom tips restrict the sound, shrinks the headstage and you lose air. It may of been done to deal with fatigue on Westone's behalf.

Aug 24, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #4,494 of 5,568
I originally didn't want to change bore sizes, I tried keeping a solid frame of mind thinking Westone knew exactly what they were doing when making silicon tips with a bore the size of microscopic pin head, by all means they don't sound bad that way however, I feel those mushroom tips restrict the sound, shrinks the headstage and you lose air. It may of been done to deal with fatigue on Westone's behalf.

yes you could be right mate !
Westone is also the leading manufacturer of worlds hearing aid as well.

Aug 24, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #4,495 of 5,568
That's confusing.  The whole purpose of designing the star tips was to INCREASE the flange opening so it was same as complys (which they are).  The previous style grey flex tips are the silicone tips that have a tiny "dot" like opening which do the things you say they do.  I love the star tips on my SE535.

I was talking about the silicone star tips. I see ur point with the foam star tips vs the comply foam tips as far as design and size ect.

Aug 24, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #4,496 of 5,568
I just received my pair of W4R a few days ago. I really like the sound that comes out of the tips that were fitted, but they hurt my ears (I am thinking they may be too large?). Could someone please suggest what tips I should be using (I don't any experience with IEM's in this price range - previously owned Yamaha EPH-100/Shure SE215 LTD). A link of what I should be looking for would be great!

Aug 24, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #4,497 of 5,568
Really loving the W4R. I used to like the TF10 a lot but now I just cannot really listen to them, they're too bright and shrilly.

Funny because when I first got the W4R, the TF10 still sounded better to me. Brain burn in probably..? 

Aug 24, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #4,498 of 5,568
Really loving the W4R. I used to like the TF10 a lot but now I just cannot really listen to them, they're too bright and shrilly.

Funny because when I first got the W4R, the TF10 still sounded better to me. Brain burn in probably..? 

Different tonality. Westone 4 sound darker than TF10, this is often perceived as lower sound quality. Once your brain adjusts (sometimes it takes 15 minutes) they begin to sound clear and you'll notice the technical benefits they have over TF10. Some people simply can't shake the darker tone though and will always lean towards the earphone that displays the most clarity.

Aug 24, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #4,499 of 5,568
Quote:
I just received my pair of W4R a few days ago. I really like the sound that comes out of the tips that were fitted, but they hurt my ears (I am thinking they may be too large?). Could someone please suggest what tips I should be using (I don't any experience with IEM's in this price range - previously owned Yamaha EPH-100/Shure SE215 LTD). A link of what I should be looking for would be great!

I would just try all of the tips that came with your W4Rs and decide which feels and sounds the best.  Tips are a real personal thing due to the fact that everyone's ears are different.  If I tell you which ones to you, you may not like them or they may not fit you.  Experiment with different tips that you have already.  There are a lot of different sizes and shapes.

Aug 25, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #4,500 of 5,568

Which tip is this that you are using ?

I found out that the combination of the Comply TS400 (https://www.complyfoam.com/comfort-Ts-Series/) sleeve with the core of original Olive silicone tips, the second tips that I love is the STAR tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back