Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Jan 16, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #423 of 5,568
UM3X has a wider soundstage than W3 and W4 but sounds a bit muddy in comparison to W4 and W3. W4 is definitely better for Classical and Jazz than both W3 and UM3X.

W4 has a vibrant mid presentation and the bass is very solid.

Both W3 and SE535 sound really great with different types of songs but Shure remains quite different in it's sound signature than the Westones.

W4 extends the highs over W3.

We are in the process of organizing all our findings so we can publish it on our site tomorrow or Tuesday at the latest.

Jan 16, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #424 of 5,568
Just want to chime in!

Earphone solutions was very helpful and provided me with the refund immediately on a Sunday night!

Can't say enough about them.

Can't wait to get my Westone 4's.

Jan 17, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #425 of 5,568

Quote:
Quote:
The more I read...the more they sound like a clone of SE535 with a little more bass. Not saying Westone copied Shure....more that that's what they ended up with.

God I hope not.. and from what Larry has described, it doesn't sound like the 535 to me.. If the W4's sound even remotely close to the 535's, they'll be returned the next day.

Cannot agree more! I love my W3, but I've preordered a pair of the W4 nevertheless. One thing I know for sure: one of them will be sold...

Jan 17, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #426 of 5,568

Quote:
UM3X has a wider soundstage than W3 and W4 but sounds a bit muddy in comparison to W4 and W3. W4 is definitely better for Classical and Jazz than both W3 and UM3X.

W4 has a vibrant mid presentation and the bass is very solid.

Both W3 and SE535 sound really great with different types of songs but Shure remains quite different in it's sound signature than the Westones.

W4 extends the highs over W3.

We are in the process of organizing all our findings so we can publish it on our site tomorrow or Tuesday at the latest.

Definitely looking forward to reading that. Be sure to post when you're finished so we can have a look :)

Jan 17, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #427 of 5,568
Quote:
Just gave a good 1 hour listening to UM3X, W4 and SE535.

W4 is completely different than SE535.

UM3X is warmer than both W4 and SE535.

W4 has extended highs in comparison to UM3X.

Still cannot make up my mind to which is the best overall. It will take days of listening to different styles of music.

So far, it seems, I will follow the same rule of thumb between W4 and UM3X as I do for W3 (did not A/B W4 and W3 yet) and UM3X:

Up to 1 hour of listening, I prefer the W3. Longer listening hours, UM3X. Because personally, I'm over sensitive to treble and get fatigued quicker with earphones that have that extra high. That's why I never liked my TF10. But most of our staff didn't like them either. 5PRO was rated higher than TF10 by everyone because the TF10 were too piercing with the songs tested. I'm drifting here. Sorry...

Again, this is personal. Every person has a different hearing curve. As a general rule, the older you get the more high frequency is lost. Maybe when I'm older I may enjoy my TF10 more, if they are still around. Or I.

One thing I can say without a doubt, these new W4 sound amazing. I will use the W3 as baseline next and give a quick feedback when I'm done.

I am also looking forward to your overall findings. Being as this is a purchase coming from UM3X's I am a little disappointed to hear you say that you prefer the UM3X's for longer listening periods but will wait to read the full review before passing any more judgement. 

Jan 17, 2011 at 5:42 AM Post #428 of 5,568
Hello,

I am a new member on Head-fi despite the fact that I visit this site since 3 years. This is my first post so I would like to apoligise for my English.

I have owned the Shure SE-310, 530, Westone 3, UM3X and now the SM3 that for my tastes, are better than my previous Iems. It would be very nice also have a real comparison with one of the best Top- tier Iem on the market. (Not only SE-535, Westone 3 and UM3X).

As I have read through this forum, it seems to me that W4 is a kind of SM3 with less soundstage. Is it wright?

Thank you very much. 

Jan 17, 2011 at 5:48 AM Post #429 of 5,568
Quote:
Hello,

I am a new member on Head-fi despite the fact that I visit this site since 3 years. This is my first post so I would like to apoligise for my English.

I have owned the Shure SE-310, 530, Westone 3, UM3X and now the SM3 that for my tastes, are better than my previous Iems. It would be very nice also have a real comparison with one of the best Top- tier Iem on the market. (Not only SE-535, Westone 3 and UM3X).

As I have read through this forum, it seems to me that W4 is a kind of SM3 with less soundstage. Is it wright?

Thank you very much.  

Hmmm.... Welcome to Head-Fi. Sorry about your wallet. But then, maybe you already know that.   
wink_face.gif

Jan 17, 2011 at 7:22 AM Post #431 of 5,568
Hi all,

I'm just coming off a pair of Head Direct HiFiMAN RE-ZEROs that I really didn't like. They're extremely uncomfortable, the highs are unbearably sibilant and grainy and the lows, while detailed, are seriously underwhelming. Now I'm on the hunt for a pair of IEMs that are everything that the RE-ZEROs aren't, while still maintaining a high level of detail.

From reading W3 reviews I was sure I'd found the right fit - warm and full-bodied, musical, exciting - this is nothing like my RE-ZEROs! Enter W4, and I'm lost again. I guess what I'm wondering is this: do the W4s have proper thump to the bass, do they sound warm and full-bodied and exciting as the W3 does, whilst improving on mids? Is there anything the W3 does better than the W4? I'm looking to avoid anything that sounds too bright and brittle here.

Still, I'm not a basshead by any means. At home I use modded Sennheiser HD 555s (removed the foam tape inside the cans) out of a Xonar Essence STX and after burn-in they sound fantastic at their price range, and the bass is just right.

So, should I look at the W3s or W4s? I'm from Sweden so trying them before-hand is out of the question, returning them probably won't be so easy either, I'm just hoping you guys can point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Jan 17, 2011 at 7:33 AM Post #432 of 5,568
If you suffer from sibilance in RE-ZERO (are they really so different from RE0, which had no sibilance at all?), you should avoid the W3 - they can be very piercing in the highs and have serious sibilance issues.

Jan 17, 2011 at 8:05 AM Post #433 of 5,568
The RE-ZEROs were fitted with a whole new driver, and they are sibilant, but I'm probably more sensitive to it than most.

Piercing highs and sibilance issues definitely sounds like something I want to avoid.

Jan 17, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #434 of 5,568

Quote:
If you suffer from sibilance in RE-ZERO (are they really so different from RE0, which had no sibilance at all?), you should avoid the W3 - they can be very piercing in the highs and have serious sibilance issues.

though i don't suffer from the sibilance issues, if returning headphones would be difficult, i would avoid the westone 3's. unless you want to do a whole lot of fitting and even then, some people still never get rid of the sibilance

Jan 17, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #435 of 5,568
I got rid of the sibilance only with the tri-flanges. But on the other hand, they're not very comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back