Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Jan 18, 2011 at 2:30 AM Post #452 of 5,568
Quote:
The W3 has a little deeper soundstage, a little farther from the stage, with a little more sparkle in the highs.  The W4 treble is a little smoother and more refined and laid back sounding than the W3.

Larry, would you say that the W4 highs are a bit rolled off compared to the W3? I do like the highs of the W3 and I don't think I'd like to compromise on that. Cheers

Jan 18, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #453 of 5,568
Well, I ain't Larry, but I can say that the W4 is closer to the sound of the UM3x, whether that means rolled off highs or not is something else. In terms of sound, the W3 may sound like it extends higher than than the UM3x, but it peaks at a different place than the UM3x. The UM3x, technically extends further, but it has less structure in the range that the ear prefers: 5kHz to 10kHz. 

This information is from Goldenears.net a local Korean headphone blog. While I don't necessarily think the method they use to measure their earphones is perfect, both earphones are measured similarly and the graphs should represent the truth much better than forum hearsay. Extension and presence are two very different things.

Westone 3

Westone UM3x

Jan 18, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #454 of 5,568

Quote:
Quote:
The W3 has a little deeper soundstage, a little farther from the stage, with a little more sparkle in the highs.  The W4 treble is a little smoother and more refined and laid back sounding than the W3.

Larry, would you say that the W4 highs are a bit rolled off compared to the W3? I do like the highs of the W3 and I don't think I'd like to compromise on that. Cheers

Read my previous posts?  I previously said the highs are extended, not rolled off, but not boosted either.  The W4 highs will not be as bright as the W3.  I like a wide range of sound signatures, and while the W4 highs don't sound like the W3 highs I still like both.  But the W4 highs are definitely more refined and laid back sounding, so you might want to stick with the W3 in your case.

Jan 18, 2011 at 5:50 AM Post #455 of 5,568

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Read my previous posts?  I previously said the highs are extended, not rolled off, but not boosted either.  The W4 highs will not be as bright as the W3.  I like a wide range of sound signatures, and while the W4 highs don't sound like the W3 highs I still like both.  But the W4 highs are definitely more refined and laid back sounding, so you might want to stick with the W3 in your case.

Thank you. Still trying to grasp all the technical terms. Did mean to waste your time, sorry.

Jan 18, 2011 at 6:37 AM Post #456 of 5,568

Quote:

Quote:
The UM3Xs are not sibilance at all, and neither are the Westone 3s, but in general, the Westone 3s are slightly brighter than the UM3Xs.

I agree.

And I disagree. With the same tips, fit and isolation (Shure Olives, UM56) the W3 are sibilant and the UM3X are not at all. Only tri-flanges worked with W3, but they're uncomfortable. Maybe you're just the lucky ones who aren't sensitive to sibilance (I am very much). And that's not a bright/not bright issue - the RE0 have a lot of extended highs and are also not sibilant at all.

I hope the W4 are more on the UM3X level than W3 regarding the sibilance issue.

Jan 18, 2011 at 8:01 AM Post #457 of 5,568
Quote:

And I disagree. With the same tips, fit and isolation (Shure Olives, UM56) the W3 are sibilant and the UM3X are not at all. Only tri-flanges worked with W3, but they're uncomfortable. Maybe you're just the lucky ones who aren't sensitive to sibilance (I am very much). And that's not a bright/not bright issue - the RE0 have a lot of extended highs and are also not sibilant at all.

I hope the W4 are more on the UM3X level than W3 regarding the sibilance issue.

I found the TF10s somewhat sibilant at times, but I'm yet to have any sibilance issues with the W3 - though I agree they can sound very bright. You also have to remember that sibilance is, to a degree, based on the recording being played. This may be controversial (and slightly off topic) but my view is that a headphone that hides sibilance in a known sibilant record is probably not showing you the full information

Jan 18, 2011 at 9:07 AM Post #458 of 5,568
I don't think I can go wrong with either the W3s, W4s or UMX3s, but judging by your descriptions of the three the 4s sound like the best fit for me. I really appreciate your help!

It's gonna be a long wait... :)

Jan 18, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #459 of 5,568

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onza /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You also have to remember that sibilance is, to a degree, based on the recording being played. This may be controversial (and slightly off topic) but my view is that a headphone that hides sibilance in a known sibilant record is probably not showing you the full information

That's true. And where the recording is simply bad, some minor sibilance appears even on the UM3X, but that happens very rarely in comparison to heavy-sibilant phones.

I think I can live without the ultra-full information, when my ears won't suffer from sibilance :wink:

Jan 18, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #460 of 5,568
What songs are you guys listening to that cause sibilance with the W3's.  Even with the most sibilant of recordings I have, I've never even so much as winced with the W3's (with Olives).  The TF-10's, well that's another story.  I admit, I've never used the silicon tips for any length of time, but with the comply's or olives it's non-existant for me.  Maybe I'm just lucky or the spike/peak is below my natural resonance frequency.  Either way, I love the highs of the W3's and look forward to the arrival of my W4's.

Jan 18, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #461 of 5,568

Quote:
What songs are you guys listening to that cause sibilance with the W3's.  Even with the most sibilant of recordings I have, I've never even so much as winced with the W3's (with Olives).  The TF-10's, well that's another story.  I admit, I've never used the silicon tips for any length of time, but with the comply's or olives it's non-existant for me.  Maybe I'm just lucky or the spike/peak is below my natural resonance frequency.  Either way, I love the highs of the W3's and look forward to the arrival of my W4's.

X2 on looking forward to the w4s joey. For months i thought the w3 was a sibilance monster making nearly every song i played on them as sibilant as hell , but that all changed when i came up with my duel monster hybrid foam tips ,now i have no issues with the w3 and it is one of my favorite iem's as you know ! .i really do believe anyone hearing sibilance on the w3 has not achieved the correct fit and seal .

Jan 18, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #462 of 5,568

Quote:

In my opinion they are more forward then W3 or TF10Pro, but less forward than UM3X (or ES3X).  They are NOT "in your face" in ANY way to me, and strike a great balance.  In my mini-review in this thread (1st and 2nd impressions posts)

1st and 2nd Impressions:  
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/527694/westone-4/225#post_7175150
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/527694/westone-4/270#post_7183324

Thanks Larry. From your other posts, I know they'll be too dark for me. So that's just saved me over $400. Ooh, I could go and spend $200 on something I don't need, and I'll have saved $200 by not buying the W4. I do love my logic sometimes
biggrin.gif

Hey Luco and ericpeepee - when are you both ordering???

Jan 18, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #463 of 5,568

Quote:
Quote:

In my opinion they are more forward then W3 or TF10Pro, but less forward than UM3X (or ES3X).  They are NOT "in your face" in ANY way to me, and strike a great balance.  In my mini-review in this thread (1st and 2nd impressions posts)

1st and 2nd Impressions:  
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/527694/westone-4/225#post_7175150
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/527694/westone-4/270#post_7183324

Thanks Larry. From your other posts, I know they'll be too dark for me. So that's just saved me over $400. Ooh, I could go and spend $200 on something I don't need, and I'll have saved $200 by not buying the W4. I do love my logic sometimes
biggrin.gif

Hey Luco and ericpeepee - when are you both ordering???

Yeah soosieq, but just think you will be depriving mark of the chance to buy them off you at a reduced price after you have comfirmed your suspicions
ksc75smile.gif

I will be jumping on them as soon as they are out . 

Jan 19, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #465 of 5,568
Shigzeo, Headphonaddict, (and others?) any more words on the bass extension of the Westone 4, particularly in comparison to your other IEMs (customs included)? Shigzeo mentioned that the W4, W3, and UM3X all seem to fall off at around a certain sub-bass region; but which of these gets furthest? Larry, out of the myriad IEMs you've owned, which has the most impressive sub bass?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back