Westone 4 = Disappointment
Oct 18, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #166 of 265

I'm in Melbourne, Australia.

If you can't buy the stuff in Korea, try www.amazon.com or www.amazon.co.jp, if they won't ship to you directly, use a forwarding service such as www.viaddress.com for the american one and www.tenso.com for the Japanese one, and you'll have your JVC's in no time.

Oct 18, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #167 of 265
Quote:
Surprisingly enough, some people like the thin wafer airy stab you in the ear with no bass, sound....

I don't get it either, but to each their own.

You came from the Pro golds so it was sort of a huge transfer but, i feel you 100%!!

Try some IE8's, i think they will be equally happy with those as you are unhappy with these

It's been awhile since I owned the Golds (have had two pairs) and liked their sound. But I also really like a really clean and moderately bright sound like the DBA-02.

Yeah, I was thinking the IE8 for awhile there too after all my trouble with everything else. Gotta love Senn's house sound. If it's anything like the HD600/HD650, I'm in! (Not realistically speaking though, I'm not really one to go "all out" for IEMs. Well actually, I don't even do that with full sized models anymore).

Quote:
The problem I have is there are probably plenty of 'phones out there that punch above their weight if you EQ them specifically to your preference. That should be a HUGE qualifier. Sometimes I can't even use EQ(at work, Google Music and other music sites). Can you EQ in soundstage?

Would still be interested in giving these a shot though. They'll probably be a drunk purchase. Katun, maybe you should try the FX700. It'd be interesting to see if you preferred these over JVC's own flagship.

That's usually why it's good to put one to good use. Now, I definitely won't use an EQ all the time, especially for full sized models (plugged into CD player or amp anyway) but I'll use it for the majority of portable headphones or IEMs. Yeah, you can have the most technically advanced headphone out there, but if it doesn't sound right to you specifically, what good is it in your possession? If the stock sound of anything does me over, of course I'm not going to tweak it, but the stock sound usually never does that. So, it's best for me to buy cheap and try and mod high, then buy high and mod little to none. Truth be told, I may miss out on soundstage and certain aspects of sound that cannot be revitalized or added from EQ, but that's the price I'm willing to pay; or should I say, save.

Best bet for me is to find something that does have the advancements to do pretty special stuff, and then I'll boost it the rest of the way...

I definitely was looking at other JVC models, as I've seen to have pretty good luck with them. Their new FXT90 (or whatever it is) seems pretty interesting.

Quote:
With high quality components Eq'ing shouldn't be needed, and I generally look at it as a sin, the same way I look at devices that aren't clean and flat, i.e. sources like the Cowon S9, so I was pretty skeptical when Katun said the FXC51 only shines after Eq'ing... on his Cowon!

I used to Eq all my cheap earbuds and IEM's, the JVC is cheap so I can make an exception for it, esp. as it has too much uncontrolled bass, it's mostly just a matter of removing the bass signal, not trying to boost something that's not there... however it does markedly improve with a slight boost along the 1kHz~3kHz area.

True, it shouldn't need it, but many still do. If it does, I get rid of it. If I'm paying high, I want to keep any sort of distortion at an absolute minimum. If I find I have to adjust things all over the place, then I obviously didn't do my research on the headphone's basic sound signature. That's the thing I like about budget models (say, anything below $80 or so). There will most likely be stuff wrong with them, but the EQ can, for the most part, remedy any glaring flaws. If you buy something more expensive, you have high hopes that you won't have to tweak the sound in any way, but then again, how many headphones have you heard that have sounded as if they were specifically made for your ear (without any tweaks or mods)? For me, probably one. The rest of the higher end ones were close enough, that I could live with a small flaw. Now, I hope nobody misinterprets me as if I'm saying you can buy iBuds or Skullcandies and turn them into reference monitors, because you can't. But, if you buy something cheap or relatively cheap for that matter, and it has the potential to be better, then by all means knock yourself out! I've spent my entire journey chasing SQ alone, and now I'm back at square one. I'm surprised it took me this long to figure out I'm after a dang good value that conforms to my sound preferences, rather than a luxury item that almost hits the mark...

Oct 19, 2011 at 8:37 AM Post #168 of 265
Oct 19, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #169 of 265
just ordered the W4 a few minutes ago and this thread is making me nervous. I am using a custom shelled UM3X and unfortunately, the custom housing ruined the sound for me but from I remember, the UM3X was amazing and sounded almost perfect for me. Hopefully the W4 won't disappoint.

Oct 19, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #170 of 265
You won't be disappointed - I *just* received the UM3X RC and I can tell you that you'll like the W4 if you are coming from the UM3X.

There are some major differences, but damn, Westone makes some amazing stuff.

The fit is a little different on the W4 because it is tubbier, and I feel that the build quality on the UM3X is slightly better than the W4, but in terms of sound, the W4 sounds like a more fun UM3X with wider sound stage, with less forward and slightly veiled mids. I'm still in the process of listening to the UM3X, but both are pleasurable to me, and I'm glad I have something to switch up the W4 with depending on what I'm listening to.
Quote:
just ordered the W4 a few minutes ago and this thread is making me nervous. I am using a custom shelled UM3X and unfortunately, the custom housing ruined the sound for me but from I remember, the UM3X was amazing and sounded almost perfect for me. Hopefully the W4 won't disappoint.

Oct 19, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #171 of 265

Quote:

Trust, this thread doesn't represent even 5 percent of all those on head-fi who heard the W4 and didn't like it. In other words, if you search head-fi.org you will that a great many more people who heard the W4 really liked it compared to a small minority that didn't. You will be okay.

Oct 20, 2011 at 7:32 AM Post #172 of 265
I just received the W4 today. After quite a while of listen, I can't say I like it, but for a completely different reason. I actually find the w4's treble lacking, and that's really a deal breaker for me.
However, saying that a part of its treble is too hot doesnt quite make sense to me. I found the w4 too warm and thick and does not have that sparkle I usually like.

The problem I can see is, Katun, if you find the dba02 to be only 'moderately bright', then I'm quite sure that the w4 isnt for you. I found the dba02 quite bright and I still found the w4 to be lacking in treble.

Oct 20, 2011 at 8:10 AM Post #174 of 265
I like the re272. I've already packed it for i2ehan, but from memory, its mids are more laidback and natural. Comparing to re272, i would say w4's mids are a bit overshadowed by its bass (only comparitively speaking) and not as natural as the 272. As for treble, I totally like the 272, I might considering buying another one in the future. I like w4's bass quite a bit, although I'm not a basshead, (i found fx700 and ddm1 to be too overwhelming), I did wish my ck100 has a bit more bass, and w4 does that. Punchy and tight.
I 'enjoy' w4's presentation, it's kinda musical, fairly warm (comparing to re0 272 and bda02) and neutral. But I can't really say I 'like' it. It is kinda weird to me, it's like, I like it, but really wish it had better treble, a bit more sparkle, and a bit more laidback mids and less warmth. Tips are kinda important, I found the olive, comply and stock grey ones pretty good, with a little bit of difference, but I can't really describe it.

As for the re0, I have a very positive feeling towards it as it was my first decent iem. How should I describe it, take a 272, bring the mids forwards, add a bit more sweet sounding bass, and you have the re0. Re0's mids are of a similar style to the w4, although the w4 is way more smooth and warm (not necessarily a good thing for a treble head like me). Although they are not as detailed or wide open like the 272s, I still like them. Piano sounds really sweet on the re0, while strings and winds definitely sounds better on the re272. As for the treble, I can't really compare because I only listened to the 272 for a limited period. But I would say they are quite similar, kinda between the dba02 and something like the 262.

Oct 20, 2011 at 8:42 AM Post #175 of 265
Woah...the title of the thread just caught my attention. I think this is just a case of having a wrong fit or not a cup-of-tea thingy.

I just liked my W4s as well as my SM3s. IMO they are the best BA iems approaching custom quality. Treble extension on W4 is better but SM3s are not lacking either. IMO SM3s bass may be boomier, but the W4 are fast and airy - means quantity-wise W4 is better but in a cost of neutrality. But SM3s bass is more fun for me. SM3s places the mids in the center of soundstage, while W4 is slightly brought back that makes the soundstage of the W4 wider, compared to the spherical soundstage of SM3s - which is stage-like.

Well currently I'm enjoying FX700, EX1000 and JH16. But still W4 are exceptional in its own way. With the right fit, they give pleasure to ones ears. 
wink.gif

Oct 20, 2011 at 8:45 AM Post #176 of 265
Just a bit of comparison, Michael Buble's sway sounds great on the re272, I love the trumpet. I found it not clear and sparkly enough on the w4 and re0.
W4 is more laidback and relaxing when i listened to this, while re272 is laidback, but quite exiting, while the re0 is quite forward.
"Havnt met you yet" sounds really fun, detailed and musical on the w4, but no where as neutral.

Jon Schmidt's "Waterfall" sounds really warm on the w4 thx to its bass. It's quite enjoyable but not as exciting as the re272. (Although you can say that the re272 is neutral and NOT exciting at all, I found them to be more energetic than the w4). I would prefer listening to the w4 when I study or commute, and the re272 when I look for a bit of fun.

YUI's "Tokyo" sounds just RIGHT and WONDERFUL on the w4. The re272 sounds good, I like it, but that's all about it. The w4 really shines here.

I also found myself liking the w4 more for rocknroll songs like Bon Jovi's "It's my life" and "have a nice day". It surprises me since w4 has quite modest treble and a warm feeling to it. The re272 just doesnt sound right.

Kalafina's "Oblivious" shines on the w4 due to its better bass. So would "bad apple" "spring shower" or any jap/anime oriented song with a strong beat I guess.

"O sole mio" sounds wonderful and full on the w4. I found the w4 to be the best when it comes to Pavarotti lol.

Mozart's Piano Sonata K304 sounds much clearer and exciting on the 272, I really enjoy the violin. While on the w4, I found myself enjoying the piano a tad more. Violin is relaxing sweet. Idk, maybe I just prefer a much sharper sounding  phone to be really really engaged in the w4. However, it is good nontheless.

"Hotel California" sounds really beautiful on the w4, thanks again to it's punchy bass. The re272 again is more sharp, but less 'musical' (not necessarily a good thing, for a treble/analytical freak like me).

梁静茹‘s "给未来的自己“ (probably my most used song when doing comparisons) : the 272 is more natural airy and lively, while the w4 is warmer and less sharp. It depends on personal preference, the 272 brings the music in an exciting and engaging way, while the w4 is really coherent and smooth. The W4's presentation of the song is beautiful, though I'd prefer it to be a bit more sharp sounding. The piano intro sounds different, yet engaging on both phones. Vocal sounds laidback on the w4, which this time, I really enjoyed.

"The Crave" is quite a bit smoother on the W4, while it's more lively on the 272 (I've been repeating this over and over havent I) On the W4, it sounds a casual sunday afternoon and a walk across the street. It has a nice jazz feel, but in a lazy and smooth way. On the other hand , the 272 sounds more like a player at a piano duel. Can't I prefer one above the other, although the w4 can use a bit more treble.

梁静茹‘s "不想睡“ 272 is better. More treble, less bass, more natural.

梁静茹‘s "不敢当“. When I listen to it on the 272, I was like yep, this is the song I'm familiar with - aggressive guitar, engaging beats and sharp vocal (sometimes sibilant). When I listened to it with the w4, it reminds me of the fx700 and the ddm1. It just sounds less aggro and more smooth. This is also the song in which I notice's the w4 much more natural and deep soundstage.

"Bad apple" . When I listened to the w4, I said to myself, yep this is the amount of bass I'm looking for. Spot on. Althought the presentation of the vocal is a bit veiled comparing to the 272.

"Again" (from AGGRESSIVE EMOTION). The intro sounds really sharp and live on the 272, but more engaging on the w4. I actually liked this songs on both phones. On the w4, it sounds 'right' with the amount of bass it have, and very smooth and relaxing. On the 272, it  seems to have a different form of emotion attached. Whenever I listen to this song, I always listen carefully to the triangle, which amazes me heaps. It sounds about right on the 272, clear as hell on the k501, really crispy on the dt880, but really faint on the w4. I'm really disappointed with that aspect, but I don't actually mind since the w4 presents the whole songs in such a coherent way.

Overall, although I really dislike w4's treble, they present music in such a beautiful way, I found myself really liking them. They can sound "muddy", but I guess I'm just too much of a treble guy. I tried eqing the treble, but everytime i do so, I feel like I'm breaking the delicate balance the w4 presents. The w4 is good, not in a sense it does something right, but more in the sense of it does nothing wrong. I wouldnt say it's jack of all trades, since the missing treble really bothers me regardless of genre, but the presentation and musicality is more than enough to make up for it.

Kiteki: how do you improve the seal on the a2000x? I have to say that I don't really like them as they are overly bright, dry, too airy, and sound really empty. I tried pressing the cups onto my ears, and I enjoy that fuller warmer sound much much more. (I do have a small head)

Oct 20, 2011 at 9:06 AM Post #178 of 265

Quote:
Kiteki: how do you improve the seal on the a2000x? I have to say that I don't really like them as they are overly bright, dry, too airy, and sound really empty. I tried pressing the cups onto my ears, and I enjoy that fuller warmer sound much much more. (I do have a small head)

The seal was OK for me on the A2000X actually, for the record all wing-design AT's are like that, the W5000, W1000X, everything...

You can buy new pads for them, from a different AT HP, from places like audiocubes.

For me there is no such thing as "too airy", especially in a closed headphone.

Oct 20, 2011 at 9:13 AM Post #179 of 265

Quote:

The seal was OK for me on the A2000X actually, for the record all wing-design AT's are like that, the W5000, W1000X, everything...

You can buy new pads for them, from a different AT HP, from places like audiocubes.

For me there is no such thing as "too airy", especially in a closed headphone.

It just sounds unnaturally lean to me, and I don't think it's designed that way.

Oct 23, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #180 of 265
what tips are you guys using with w4? im using it with the comply tip(stock) and I find the bass to be a bit uncontrolled at least vs UM3X.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back