Westone 3 - You asked for it, we listened !
Aug 2, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #1,321 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by stopa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're not alone. I'm gonna cancel my order too today. This is just insane! I've never bought any Westone product before and thought the Westone 3 would make a start, but this is just too disappointing to have such a big delay. I don't think I'd ever be a Westone customer in the foreseeable future unless UE and Shure could do a worse job.

Both Shure E500 triple driver and UE Triple.Fi were delayed for several months (as in many months) so this is not a privilege of Westone. I guess crunching 3 drivers in a tiny ear piece is more challenging than they all anticipated.

If I remember correctly the E500 was supposed to come out in January of 2006 and it was finally released in July of 2006. The Triple.Fi didn't have this much delay but availability is still an issue today. Every now and then we will get a limited quantity that usually will only cover the existing waiting list or last for another couple of weeks at the most and then go on back order again.

Aug 2, 2007 at 11:13 PM Post #1,322 of 2,524
Either way, all will be forgiven and forgotten (no one brings up the E500 delay anymore) if they come out with something that betters the E500/530 which IMHO isn't too difficult since the treble is pretty much non existent in the Shures.

The bass and midrange are very good, but they sound dark.

Aug 3, 2007 at 2:38 AM Post #1,324 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flavio T /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both Shure E500 triple driver and UE Triple.Fi were delayed for several months (as in many months) so this is not a privilege of Westone. I guess crunching 3 drivers in a tiny ear piece is more challenging than they all anticipated.

If I remember correctly the E500 was supposed to come out in January of 2006 and it was finally released in July of 2006. The Triple.Fi didn't have this much delay but availability is still an issue today. Every now and then we will get a limited quantity that usually will only cover the existing waiting list or last for another couple of weeks at the most and then go on back order again.

I should quit my job and jump to the headphone industry, since it's such a easy job - you missed your project deadline and your boss won't have you fired, your customer will forget your mistake and buy your product again. This is a dream job!

Aug 3, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #1,325 of 2,524
Quote:

I should quit my job and jump to the headphone industry, since it's such a easy job - you missed your project deadline and your boss won't have you fired, your customer will forget your mistake and buy your product again. This is a dream job!

I heard there was some error from the factory in China when the Triple.fi's were delayed. So I don't think it's exactly the company's fault.

Aug 3, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #1,326 of 2,524
Quote:

I don't think it is that simple. Certainly the folks in this field are a bit more discerning than in most. Throwing down >$400 on some IEM's is ludicrous for most, considering the 3's are the predecessors to the custom 3's...which will approach 1kish...I would think that it is in Westone's best interest to get it right the first time. Customers appreciate a finalized solid product versus a rushed craptacular offering. I just read that EA is delaying one of their new hopeful flagships because they want the franchise to excel bigtime. Sure beats grabbing the game then waiting 6 weeks for a patch so one cna play it. waiting in this field is a good thing if the product is all it is stacked to be.

Aug 3, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #1,327 of 2,524
Quote:

Who said nobody got fired?

This could be an internal disaster for them, but there's nothing they can do but get it right. Delaying *is* better than releasing a bad product, so they are doing the right thing.

Aug 4, 2007 at 10:38 AM Post #1,329 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flavio T /img/forum/go_quote.gif

QFT.

Good things come to those that wait, but it would be nice to get an update from Westone. *hint hint*
wink.gif

-Ed

Aug 6, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #1,331 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by sprucester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It looks like that new Westone website that p0wderh0und23 was talking about a couple months ago has finally popped up: http://www.westone.com. No news on the 3, however.

Looks like there is a little bit of news:

http://www.westone.com/content/264.html

Just to make the wait more frustrating, my beloved UM2s lost the right channel today.

Aug 7, 2007 at 4:46 PM Post #1,333 of 2,524
The technical specifications had been changed for the new Westone 3 according to the Westone official website: http://www.westone.com/content/264.html

And the previous technical specs were:
Technical Specs:
Sensitivity – 119 dB/mW
Impedance – 27ohms
Drivers – 3 balanced armatures with 3-way passive crossover

I think the new 3 will be out shortly because the updated specifications had been posted officially. Unfortunately, I cancelled my order and got a UM2 instead. However, I would like to get a Westone 3 later when they release another color version. Looking forward to hear from Westone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back