Westone 3 - You asked for it, we listened !
Jul 28, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #1,306 of 2,524
Ok, honestly where is this headphone. From Ray's impressions, I want a custom version of this badly (and I never wanted customs!)...this is seriously overdue.

Jul 28, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #1,307 of 2,524
Come on folks, Ray has his own set of ears determining this, it doesn't mean yours will agree with his assessment! Be your own judge! Granted, newcomers can be told what to listen for but ultimately it's your own hearing that you'll have to go by!

Jul 28, 2007 at 6:45 AM Post #1,308 of 2,524
Besides which, his impressions were based on a prototype version, and it's apparent that the final release is going to have some differences based on the extensive delay. I'm sure Westone will say there's no difference in the sound, but until there's some independent confirmation, I wouldn't bet on it.

Jul 29, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #1,309 of 2,524
If Westone 3 makes the sound worse than the prototype, thats not going to help their name :wink:

Jul 29, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #1,310 of 2,524
Okay, I just canceled my order to fund a Lisa III. If there are enough good impressions post-prototype >
biggrin.gif

Jul 29, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #1,311 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If Westone 3 makes the sound worse than the prototype, thats not going to help their name :wink:

A prototype is an experimental stage of development. Tweaking a prototype isn't unheard of. I believe the chances of the final product sounding worse than the prototype are slim and none...Give powderhound a little credit.

Jul 29, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #1,312 of 2,524
I'm betting on:

a) The final product will sound different (if not very different) than the prototype.

b) The final Westone 3 will sound better (if not much better) than the prototype.

c) The extended delays have to do with the fact that Westone has to create a product that is better than the UM2. That in itself is a challenge.

I am actually glad Westone decided to take their time and not rush a new product for the sake of releasing a triple driver but rather outdo their current best universal fit performer and I am sure that is the whole thing behind the delay. They have an impeccable name to maintain and I'm now betting on a much better, well thought truly new product rather than just a competitor in the triple driver category. I am certain it's all about the final sound and I trust them on that.

I will even risk saying the prototype has almost nothing to do with the final product, performance wise. I think that might have been rushed out because Westone wanted to bring something to the Head.Fi meeting.

This is just me trying to think if I were in their shoes and it has nothing to do with any privileged information (because I don't have any
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Jul 29, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #1,313 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flavio T /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm betting on:

a) The final product will sound different (if not very different) than the prototype.

b) The final Westone 3 will sound better (if not much better) than the prototype.

c) The extended delays have to do with the fact that Westone has to create a product that is better than the UM2. That in itself is a challenge.

I am actually glad Westone decided to take their time and not rush a new product for the sake of releasing a triple driver but rather outdo their current best universal fit performer and I am sure that is the whole thing behind the delay. They have an impeccable name to maintain and I'm now betting on a much better, well thought truly new product rather than just a competitor in the triple driver category. I am certain it's all about the final sound and I trust them on that.

I will even risk saying the prototype has almost nothing to do with the final product, performance wise. I think that might have been rushed out because Westone wanted to bring something to the Head.Fi meeting.

This is just me trying to think if I were in their shoes and it has nothing to do with any privileged information (because I don't have any
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Now that sounds like a Westone 3 that I'd like to hear. I hope your speculation becomes reality.

Jul 30, 2007 at 5:39 PM Post #1,314 of 2,524
I have to agree that it's hard to imagine the final product sounding worse than the prototype, especially considering the prototype had an issue that has now been fixed. Maybe there's something I haven't considered, but I just don't understand these people who are freaked out about it sounding worse. I'm guessing it has more to do with convincing oneself to move on because of the indefinite wait.

Jul 31, 2007 at 12:47 AM Post #1,315 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexter Morgan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to agree that it's hard to imagine the final product sounding worse than the prototype, especially considering the prototype had an issue that has now been fixed. Maybe there's something I haven't considered, but I just don't understand these people who are freaked out about it sounding worse. I'm guessing it has more to do with convincing oneself to move on because of the indefinite wait.

I don't think I read anything to suggest that there were issues with the prototypes. It sounded to me that they were just fine, however, the tooling devices they use for production runs changed the sound signature for the worse. It sounds strange to me that switching equipment would do such a thing but I guess I'm in no position judge. (what's the point of prototyping tools if their results aren't portable to final production equipment?)

Aug 2, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #1,316 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, I just canceled my order to fund a Lisa III. If there are enough good impressions post-prototype >
biggrin.gif

You're not alone. I'm gonna cancel my order too today. This is just insane! I've never bought any Westone product before and thought the Westone 3 would make a start, but this is just too disappointing to have such a big delay. I don't think I'd ever be a Westone customer in the foreseeable future unless UE and Shure could do a worse job.

Aug 2, 2007 at 7:36 PM Post #1,318 of 2,524
Sorry for the double post but I figured this warranted a new reply. I emailed Westone about an hour ago and got this reply...

Quote:

Jim,

Here is the latest news on the 3. Thank you for your continued patience.
While our original plan was to begin shipments of the new Westone "3" by
late spring 2007, several issues have come up which required additional
work. Although these issues are relatively minor, the "3" is our new
flagship earpiece and we are committed to shipping product only after it
meets our rigorous performance and quality standards.

As we transitioned from prototype tooling to permanent tooling we discovered
a 3 dB drop centered at 10K. Having identified the cause of this sudden drop
in output at 10K, we are now in the process of making the appropriate
changes in tooling to correct the problem.

The "3" has top-notch components and is destined for a very discerning
audience. This flagship of the Westone line of earpieces must both look and
sound as good as our customers demand. We simply will not release the "3"
until the quality is consistent enough and the sound good enough to bear the
Westone name.

I apologize for the delay, but rest assured we will continue to make every
effort to ship the "3" just as soon as possible. We are excited about
bringing you the best sounding earpiece available and can't wait to get it
into your hands. Please be patient as we come down the home stretch. I
firmly believe that it will be worth the wait!

Karl Cartwright
Design Team Lead
Westone Music Products

Aug 2, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #1,320 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Translation... no light at the end of the tunnel. it's gonna be a while.

At least we know they're still working on it
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back