Westone 3 - You asked for it, we listened !
Jun 10, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #1,081 of 2,524
I guess it is great to be an old fart who has lost all hearing above a certain point.
very_evil_smiley.gif
Why, because I have listened to the UM2 and have a pair of V-Moda and I love both. I can not detect any sibilance.
blink.gif

Jun 10, 2007 at 11:04 PM Post #1,082 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexter Morgan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's interesting that we don't get chit chat from the h0und anymore. At this point, I'd imagine he's recused himself from the conversation partially out of exhaustion (we're an irritable bunch) and embarrassment. I thought his initial announcement of the latest delay made this clear, when he informed us to check the Westone website for release updates, rather than this thread. It might mark the end of their underground word-of-mouth advertising campaign - at least until the release and people start posting about eargasms
tongue.gif

On a related note, I caved and picked up 530s because I couldn't go any longer without an IEM. Holy moly are they going to be hard to give back, but my 30 day return policy gives me until June 20th if Westone gives me a reason...

My thoughts exactly, Dexter. Except that in my case, it's a pair of EarPeace LiveWires that I'm waiting to have show up here. I tried out the SE530 briefly and didn't like the sound as much as my SE310, I think because the stronger bass response made the highs sound that much more muffled. That said, I didn't give THAT much time, if I find a good source that has a 30 day full refund policy, I might have to try them.

One of the big problems with generating a lot of hype before a release date is that if you slip the date, there's a limited window in which to take advantage of that good reputation. As that window starts to pass, the enthusiasts take up other interests, and in the case of things like headphones, that's doubly harmful. For instance, I would guess that if the W3 date slips past my LiveWires return window or your SE530 return window, that's at least two fairly vocal posters who are going to be proselytizing about other products instead of Westones. I am certain that there are a lot head-philes who fall into that same category.

Jun 11, 2007 at 12:52 AM Post #1,083 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by sprucester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is no real proof (that I'm aware of) that there has been any modification to the design, however, the specs in the official pre-announcement on Westone's website are different than those p0wderh0und23 originally gave us back in January:

Keep in mind, however, that those early specs were given (presumably) before the design was finalized. I haven't heard any news to suggest that a recent change has been made, although it is possible.

Hmm... Is

Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Drivers – 3 balanced armatures with 3-way passive crossover

different from

Quote:

Originally Posted by http://www.westone.com/music/Westone%203%20Announcement.pdf
Speaker Type Balanced Armature Driver
Number Speakers 3 —1 low, 1 mid, 1 high freq
Crossover Type Passive

?

Jun 11, 2007 at 10:06 AM Post #1,084 of 2,524
isn't sibilance also a result of how ear canal is shaped of each individual? more notable to some people than others.... i had um2 and i noted sibilance only few times, usually re-inserting them or changing tips resolved the problem...

Jun 11, 2007 at 10:40 PM Post #1,085 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by tonedaf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm... Is

different from?

nope, same difference.

hound is likely busy trying to get the kinks out to get these babies to get them to market asap. to all you folks who are freaking out, please try and be a little patient. don't you think westone wants to get these to you asap? obviously they've run into some problems and don't want to release something that's going to have issues and cause grief to the company and their customers. these iems will likely be out in the foreseeable future and should be a very nice product. most of us here have some other phones to tide us over. if not buy yourself something for that purpose and get the 3s when it's doable.

Jun 12, 2007 at 8:07 AM Post #1,086 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveDerek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nope, same difference.

hound is likely busy trying to get the kinks out to get these babies to get them to market asap. to all you folks who are freaking out, please try and be a little patient. don't you think westone wants to get these to you asap? obviously they've run into some problems and don't want to release something that's going to have issues and cause grief to the company and their customers. these iems will likely be out in the foreseeable future and should be a very nice product. most of us here have some other phones to tide us over. if not buy yourself something for that purpose and get the 3s when it's doable.

So... does that mean that if these get delayed again, you're not going to ask for a custom-embroidered carrying case with "dD" stitched on the cover to go along with your 15 pairs of bi-flanges?
very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Seriously though, your newly adopted laissez faire attitude is certainly appropriate and advisable... and to think we were arguing about what color these should be four months ago!
tongue.gif
(I still stand strongly behind puke green)

Jun 12, 2007 at 4:30 PM Post #1,087 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexter Morgan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So... does that mean that if these get delayed again, you're not going to ask for a custom-embroidered carrying case with "dD" stitched on the cover to go along with your 15 pairs of bi-flanges?
very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Seriously though, your newly adopted laissez faire attitude is certainly appropriate and advisable... and to think we were arguing about what color these should be four months ago!
tongue.gif
(I still stand strongly behind puke green)

LOL! i still want them in clear with bi and triflanges though!
biggrin.gif

Jun 14, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #1,089 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by andrew3199 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hello all. I was just about to drop some $'s on the UE-5c's but I came across this thread...Dam Head-Fi !!! now I can't make up my mind....HELP!!!

If you want to receive them any time soon, I would go with the UE. There is still no official word on when the Westone 3s will be available. The current belief is mid-summer or later.

Happy Listening!

Jun 17, 2007 at 3:57 PM Post #1,091 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by andrew3199 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hello all. I was just about to drop some $'s on the UE-5c's but I came across this thread...Dam Head-Fi !!! now I can't make up my mind....HELP!!!

Good advice is that if you're anxious to get a pair of customs then you might want to consider UE5c. HOWEVER...I'd strongly encourage you to look at the Westone ES2 customs. KILLER custom IEM. My favorite by a wide margin when compared to the likes of UE5c, Sensaphonics 2Xs, and yes, even the mighty UE10pro.

I often struggle when trying to think that Westone will be able to exceed the sound quality of the ES2 with the E3 custom...and the wait to find out is killing me.

Jun 20, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #1,092 of 2,524
Did anyone have a chance to listen to the 3 with triflange? I only heard them at the meet with the foamies which I think fall a little short when it comes to the full sound the IEM is capable of.

Jun 20, 2007 at 11:38 PM Post #1,093 of 2,524
Did these pictures come up already? Anyway, the pictures are courtesy of RadTech who claims that they will ship on 6/30.

I hope that this cute little "purse" was not the cause for the delay!!!!
blink.gif

Westone these IEM's better ROCK!!!!!!!!
basshead.gif

Jun 21, 2007 at 2:00 AM Post #1,095 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trager /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of the big problems with generating a lot of hype before a release date is that if you slip the date, there's a limited window in which to take advantage of that good reputation. As that window starts to pass, the enthusiasts take up other interests, and in the case of things like headphones, that's doubly harmful.

They never learn, do they? (e500, triple-fi's, and now the Westone 3) Get that internet buzz flowing, and then deliver... nothing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back