Westone 3 - You asked for it, we listened !
Jun 8, 2007 at 3:09 PM Post #1,066 of 2,524
haha...
eek.gif

Jun 8, 2007 at 3:40 PM Post #1,067 of 2,524
I'm getting quite annoyed about the situation. I understand that delays happens all the time, whether its with software release, other IEM release, or well, just pretty much anything/everything. But for Westone to have a delay was a bit disappointing. I've had the UM1 and UM2, and the service I've received from Westone staff are nothing short of excellent, thus, if there's ONE company that I have great respect for, its Westone.

I dunno about the U3 anymore... I was going to get it, but I think the hype for me has died down significantly. Realistically, I think I'll wait for half a year or so to see how people likes the U3 before reconsidering it.
frown.gif

Jun 8, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #1,069 of 2,524
Since the spec changed and it's look like the previous problem with the packing wasn't real(maybe it was with upgrading the drivers). I think something realy going on between these two compinies since the triple drivers and three way drivers IEMs actual launch date getting behind, figure it out.

Jun 8, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #1,071 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by choomanchoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now I'm confused, is it going to be a three-way driver or a triple driver set up??

3-way
Always has been always will. It has three drivers, (high-mid-low).

Jun 8, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #1,074 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickknutson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have any other information regarding the earphones?

Like a new release date, e.g.
biggrin.gif

Jun 8, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #1,075 of 2,524
It's interesting that we don't get chit chat from the h0und anymore. At this point, I'd imagine he's recused himself from the conversation partially out of exhaustion (we're an irritable bunch) and embarrassment. I thought his initial announcement of the latest delay made this clear, when he informed us to check the Westone website for release updates, rather than this thread. It might mark the end of their underground word-of-mouth advertising campaign - at least until the release and people start posting about eargasms
tongue.gif

On a related note, I caved and picked up 530s because I couldn't go any longer without an IEM. Holy moly are they going to be hard to give back, but my 30 day return policy gives me until June 20th if Westone gives me a reason...

Jun 9, 2007 at 3:00 AM Post #1,076 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexter Morgan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

On a related note, I caved and picked up 530s because I couldn't go any longer without an IEM. Holy moly are they going to be hard to give back, but my 30 day return policy gives me until June 20th if Westone gives me a reason...

lol... !

Urghhhh...um... yeah, you know if I cant get my credit card charged before end of july, I might just have to opt out of westone and go for the shures...

Jun 9, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #1,077 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZARIM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since the spec changed and it's look like the previous problem with the packing wasn't real(maybe it was with upgrading the drivers). I think something realy going on between these two compinies since the triple drivers actual launch date getting behind, figure it out.

what specs change?

Jun 9, 2007 at 2:09 PM Post #1,078 of 2,524
There is no real proof (that I'm aware of) that there has been any modification to the design, however, the specs in the official pre-announcement on Westone's website are different than those p0wderh0und23 originally gave us back in January:

Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Technical Specs:
Sensitivity – 119 dB/mW
Impedance – 27ohms
Drivers – 3 balanced armatures with 3-way passive crossover

Keep in mind, however, that those early specs were given (presumably) before the design was finalized. I haven't heard any news to suggest that a recent change has been made, although it is possible.

Jun 10, 2007 at 2:29 PM Post #1,079 of 2,524
So I just got done... reading all 54 pages of this thread.... Needless to say I have a few comments.
biggrin.gif

First of all, wow. It's sure been quite the journey for some of you who have made it this far and still don't have your Westone 3's yet. I'll be light, because I know how frustrated some of you are. Oh, do I know (Page 50). But from what I read, it seemed like a real roller coaster ride: the joy, happiness and wonder followed by anger and frustration, back to joy and happiness again... it's like I was really there.. except, none of you are more there.. than I am...

Anyway, while I was reading, I couldn't help but notice how many are kind of bashing on the Shure E500. Now, granted, I'm aware that the majority of you are either extremely excited about the Westone 3 or just Westone fanboys/fangirls or both. But seriously guys, come on. The E500 is not a horrible earphone, and I haven't even heard it! There is no way that it can get a perfect value rating from HeadRoom, an "A" from iLounge, an Editor's Choice from CNET, EarphoneSolutions.com, PCMagazine and others, and still be as bad as some of you say it is.

Now I know, I know, people have their tastes, but saying that...
Quote:

Originally Posted by FaRKle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The UM3's are WAY better than the E500

...is quite bold. I mean some of you are making it sound like the Westone 3 is pretty much perfect, and for a ton of you, after hearing it I know you're going to think this. But to others, the Westone 3 isn't without its flaws.

After reading through all of the pages, the only real in-depth reviewing I saw going on was given by jay spec throughout pages 41 to 43. And I'm not just saying that because he rated the E500 higher than the Westone 3. I'm saying that because he actually went and analyzed those IEM's very well, going into detail and saying where he truly thought each IEM stood out over the others and why. It turns out that, in his experience with the Westone 3's, there...
Quote:

Originally Posted by jay spec /img/forum/go_quote.gif
was a slight exaggeration in the treble, causing things like cymbals to have an over-emphasized attack and unnatural decay imo. there was also noticable sibilance, causing S's to exhibited a bit of a metallic sound.

He also tells his preference as to which cans sound good to him for reference. This is not the only time sibilance with Westones is brought up in this thread either:
Quote:

Originally Posted by teddysaur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UM2 seems to have some problems with sibilance. Will Westone 3 have the same problem too?

It wasn't too shocking to find that p0wderh0und and Flavio said they both don't notice any sibilance. But then aukoh said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by aukoh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you'll get used to it.

i had my Alesandro MS-1's for a good year and a bit before i went and bought the UM2's. When i first listened to the UM2's, they felt sibilant compared to my MS-1's, however, i noticed that i've 'adapted' to the sound and it seems to be okay for me now.

And after that, this issue wasn't brought up again until jay spec did his review. (Personally, I couldn't 'adapt' to sharp sibilance even if I tried.. actually, I have tried.) The final time sibilance was brought up was when PsiCore asked:
Quote:

Originally Posted by PsiCore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I heard sibilance on the UM2 would I hear them also on the "3"?

And that question was never answered. Now, as far as my personal experience in being able to talk about this, I have in my posession the UM2. I have been listening to it all this week and am incredibly heartbroken in saying that I am going to have to send them back, and it's a real shame because I really wanted to like them. I just cannot stand the sibilance: it actually hurts my ears. And I cannot even begin to believe that someone could say that there isn't any. It brings back memories of my horrible experience with my first IEM, the v-moda Vibe, which to my ears puts the "SSSSSS" in Sibilance. But that's just me and everone hears things different I guess.

So what's my point in writing all of this? Is it to draw people away from getting the Westone 3? No. While I am trying to summarize a lot of what has been discussed in this thread so far, I'm also trying to say that if you're just scanning through a thread like this trying to figure out if an IEM is right for you, both positive and negative misinformation can and has led to unhappy customers.

Jun 10, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #1,080 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by moseboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now, as far as my personal experience in being able to talk about this, I have in my posession the UM2. I have been listening to it all this week and am incredibly heartbroken in saying that I am going to have to send them back, and it's a real shame because I really wanted to like them. I just cannot stand the sibilance: it actually hurts my ears. And I cannot even begin to believe that someone could say that there isn't any. It brings back memories of my horrible experience with my first IEM, the v-moda Vibe, which to my ears puts the "SSSSSS" in Sibilance. But that's just me and everone hears things different I guess.

I have the same issue with them (UM2's). And I really waned to like them too. They are the most comfortable, well build generic IEM's I've ever seen. The Bass is great, mids great, but highs are recessed and have a peaky thing that I can't handle. Fatigues my ears pretty quick. If I have a good eq I can make them sound almost great, as they are I can't listen to them long or loud. They're going up for sale and being replaced soon. I bought them from Flavio and I got to give them major props for customer service and price. I've bought a few from them but honestly I'm not going to read too much into their reviews anymore. They just hear thing different. But that's kind of a universal problem isn't it? How do you shop for IEM's if you can't audition them? I just don't think there's a generic IEM that I'll be happy with. It's not their fault. Maybe Atrios.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back