Westone 3 - You asked for it, we listened !
Mar 16, 2007 at 11:52 AM Post #601 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by bLue_oNioN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who said they won't come out with a 4?
icon10.gif

Then you'd have to imagine Shure's CEO, in a smoke filled conference room: "Scr*w 4 drivers. We're going straight to FIVE. Get me R&D on the phone this instant..."

This escalation will be just like the blade wars for the razor companies...

Mar 16, 2007 at 2:20 PM Post #602 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No impact other than we will be releasing the 3Custom later than originally expected. Remember the current ES's/UM's are "aimed" at pro-audio. The new stuff is "aimed" at personal listening. It's like Chevy and Pontiac, both done by GM, but different product lines.

The UM2 already has a passive 2-way crossover. There is no UM3. The crossover technology was used from the current ES3.

Dear God they better be done by the meet!! I'm not showing my face if they are not.
blink.gif

Understanding that Westone 3 will be aimed at personal listening but can you help to elaborate what personal listening will be like?

Mar 16, 2007 at 2:44 PM Post #603 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by teddysaur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Understanding that Westone 3 will be aimed at personal listening but can you help to elaborate what personal listening will be like?

Que ? What do you mean "what will personal listening be like" ?
blink.gif
Ya lost me ....

Mar 16, 2007 at 2:57 PM Post #604 of 2,524
obvious "personal listening" situations:
- while in the hot tub
- while wrestling alligators
- while mud wrestling at the local strip joint
- while being hosed down w/ gallons of whipped cream

sorry...couldn't resist
lambda.gif

Mar 16, 2007 at 3:59 PM Post #605 of 2,524
Quote:

Personal listening is what you do.

I think you're overthinking the definition of personal listening.

What you're probably confused with is contrasting that with that the UM series were aimed for, which is professional use, onstage. That has totally different needs than personal listening.

Mar 16, 2007 at 4:37 PM Post #606 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by AngusMcToon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then you'd have to imagine Shure's CEO, in a smoke filled conference room: "Scr*w 4 drivers. We're going straight to FIVE. Get me R&D on the phone this instant..."

This escalation will be just like the blade wars for the razor companies...

That is so funny

Mar 17, 2007 at 2:48 AM Post #607 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Que ? What do you mean "what will personal listening be like" ?
blink.gif
Ya lost me ....

What will be the sound signature be like for your definition of personal listening? e.g between UM series and this westone 3.

Mar 17, 2007 at 7:42 AM Post #608 of 2,524
Quote:

What will be the sound signature be like for your definition of personal listening? e.g between UM series and this westone 3.

rather than waiting for p0wderh0und to get back to you on this i'd suggest searching this thread for posts by him as he's addressed this before.

Mar 17, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #609 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveDerek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
rather than waiting for p0wderh0und to get back to you on this i'd suggest searching this thread for posts by him as he's addressed this before.

Thanks dave. One of the item I'm looking for is the overall soundstage presentation. UM2 sounds very forward, vocal sounds like right at your face.

Mar 17, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #610 of 2,524
Quote:

Thanks dave. One of the item I'm looking for is the overall soundstage presentation. UM2 sounds very forward, vocal sounds like right at your face.

iamoneagain has posted various impressions about these based on hearing the prototypes at the macworld expo and he compares them to both other top iems and to grados, since he's a grado kind of a guy. supposedly these were modeled after the rs-1 sonically, and grados are known for their up front presentation.
one of these days i'm gonna post a 'cliff notes' guide to listening impressions of the westone 3 from this thread to make it really simple for folks.
cool.gif

Mar 19, 2007 at 6:52 AM Post #611 of 2,524
Well I think since he said that he hopes to have them before the meet, then that means we won't hear anything from him until late March or even mid April.
I wonder how long is the lag time for comparisons and reviews after the 3's officially come out??

Mar 20, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #612 of 2,524
I'm fairly certain this won't get any solid answers, so I'm just tossing it out there - but how much do you expect the price of the UM2 to drop, if at all, when the 3 comes out? I'm currently sitting on a pair of E4s that I got for an excellent price (well, they're on the desk) and I'm deliberating over opening them because I'm unsure if a similar deal for UM2s (which I imagine I'd prefer) will pop up later.

Mar 20, 2007 at 11:13 AM Post #614 of 2,524
I've followed the 30 pages on and off for the duration, but may have missed this question so apologies if this has been asked already.
Is there any news on the UK price of these, or are we to look forward to another straight $/£ swap (ie: £399 RSP?)
Also, will Westone be restricting distribution by US vendors to overseas buyers?

These look very interesting.

Mar 20, 2007 at 4:02 PM Post #615 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by potatotron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm fairly certain this won't get any solid answers, so I'm just tossing it out there - but how much do you expect the price of the UM2 to drop, if at all, when the 3 comes out? I'm currently sitting on a pair of E4s that I got for an excellent price (well, they're on the desk) and I'm deliberating over opening them because I'm unsure if a similar deal for UM2s (which I imagine I'd prefer) will pop up later.

this is just a guess of course, but i think it's likely that the um2s will still cost a bunch more on the fs forum than the e4. if you are unable or unwillng to spring for the difference enjoy what you've got.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back