Wells Audio Milo - Impressions And Discussion Thread
Nov 30, 2022 at 10:20 PM Post #976 of 1,022
Just got the lcd-5’s to keep my milo company. Great pairing!! The clarity on both ends are insane!!
Great synergy with ZMF Caldera as well. I think planars just love being driven by this amp :)

Nov 30, 2022 at 10:32 PM Post #977 of 1,022
I'm considering getting a Milo, but from my reading, the base model is not a good pair for sensitive cans(Focal Clear MG and Meze 99 classics). Can anyone comment on which mods to the Milo would best allow me to continue enjoying my Focals? Also, can anyone tell me what Wells Audio's return policy is if I purchase one but wind up wanting to return it after an audition? I can't find any info about this on their website.
Please see Zachik's short description below. Seems like exactly the info you have been seeking.

Nov 30, 2022 at 10:33 PM Post #978 of 1,022
So those of us who bought the $15k Headtrip Reference (Level 2) with internal power supplies sort of got screwed? For that kind of money, this is a big oversight to not have included an outboard power supply knowing that it’s the best solution for noise elimination. It’s not like outboard power supplies are new technology that it couldn’t have come with the HT Reference when you first introduced it. If an outboard power supply was known to be a better solution at the time, it should have come with that, especially at its price point. Feeling short changed.
First, I strongly suggest you contact @The Piper by PM (or email). He has the best upgrade policy I ever heard of.
Trying to address your specific comments above:
* So those of us who bought the $15k Headtrip Reference (Level 2) with internal power supplies sort of got screwed?
Do you like how your Headtrip Reference sounds? If so, why are you screwed? A new equipment, even if it sounds better, does not make your existing equipment sound bad all of the sudden :wink:

* this is a big oversight to not have included an outboard power supply knowing that it’s the best solution for noise elimination
Are you also complaining that it is a big oversight by Apple not to include 12 MP camera in the iPhone 3G some 10+ years ago?
As technology advances or when we all of the sudden come up with new ideas for improvements - we test them and if that is better, we adopt it. I do not think it was an oversight but rather an idea that came up later, was tested, and as a result - adopted! Again, talk to Jeff and remember that back when you bought the amp - you would have paid extra for external PSU.

* Feeling short changed.
With Jeff Wells - you should not feel bad or short-changed!
External PSU back then would have costed you extra. What if you get the chance to pay that extra NOW and get your amp upgraded?

I will conclude by saying that during my short time of knowing Jeff - he is a very honest and fair person. Talk to him.

Dec 1, 2022 at 12:16 AM Post #979 of 1,022
^ Agreed. Years ago he was my audio dealer, and I'm still listening to some of equipment that I bought from him, because his recommendations were perfect. Always honest.

Dec 2, 2022 at 10:34 AM Post #980 of 1,022
First, I strongly suggest you contact @The Piper by PM (or email). He has the best upgrade policy I ever heard of.
Trying to address your specific comments above:
* So those of us who bought the $15k Headtrip Reference (Level 2) with internal power supplies sort of got screwed?
Do you like how your Headtrip Reference sounds? If so, why are you screwed? A new equipment, even if it sounds better, does not make your existing equipment sound bad all of the sudden :wink:

* this is a big oversight to not have included an outboard power supply knowing that it’s the best solution for noise elimination
Are you also complaining that it is a big oversight by Apple not to include 12 MP camera in the iPhone 3G some 10+ years ago?
As technology advances or when we all of the sudden come up with new ideas for improvements - we test them and if that is better, we adopt it. I do not think it was an oversight but rather an idea that came up later, was tested, and as a result - adopted! Again, talk to Jeff and remember that back when you bought the amp - you would have paid extra for external PSU.

* Feeling short changed.
With Jeff Wells - you should not feel bad or short-changed!
External PSU back then would have costed you extra. What if you get the chance to pay that extra NOW and get your amp upgraded?

I will conclude by saying that during my short time of knowing Jeff - he is a very honest and fair person. Talk to him.
I’ve communicated with Jeff in the past. He IS a nice guy and I believe an honest one. This is not in question. It was the design choice at this price level. Your Apple phone comparison isn’t valid because as technology changes, so does the newer models. My point was that an external power supply is NOT new technology and for the price of the HT reference, it should have been part of the design back when they were first introduced. External Power supplies are well known to more often be the best option. My HT reference does sound good but I only use inefficient headphones. I’m sure that with efficient headphones, an external ps would have been a better solution for suppressing noise. If an amp only cost under a few thousand, I completely understand integrating the power supply within the chassis.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2022 at 7:34 AM Post #981 of 1,022
Does the Milo support both headphone outputs at the same time? Is it capable of driving both at the same time?

Dec 4, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #982 of 1,022
I’ve communicated with Jeff in the past. He IS a nice guy and I believe an honest one. This is not in question. It was the design choice at this price level. Your Apple phone comparison isn’t valid because as technology changes, so does the newer models. My point was that an external power supply is NOT new technology and for the price of the HT reference, it should have been part of the design back when they were first introduced. External Power supplies are well known to more often be the best option. My HT reference does sound good but I only use inefficient headphones. I’m sure that with efficient headphones, an external ps would have been a better solution for suppressing noise. If an amp only cost under a few thousand, I completely understand integrating the power supply within the chassis.
When did you purchase your Headtrip?

Dec 10, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #985 of 1,022
greetings

any feedback on the enigma amp for using it with susvara, there is no info or reviews on it

any comparisons other totl amps within 4-6k price range, such as comparing it to enleum or auris nirvana

Dec 10, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #986 of 1,022
greetings

any feedback on the enigma amp for using it with susvara, there is no info or reviews on it

any comparisons other totl amps within 4-6k price range, such as comparing it to enleum or auris nirvana
I made the decision to discontinue the Enigma years ago. The various Milo combinations that sold for less made the Enigma obsolete. If a customer really wanted an Enigma I can build it as it is just a variation of a Headtrip.

Dec 10, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #987 of 1,022
I made the decision to discontinue the Enigma years ago. The various Milo combinations that sold for less made the Enigma obsolete. If a customer really wanted an Enigma I can build it as it is just a variation of a Headtrip.
thanks, I read that headtrip level 2 is amazing with susvara, but that is out of the budget for some, an amp within 4k range which can drive sus with ease would be a gem to find.

Dec 18, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #988 of 1,022
I'm considering getting a Milo, but from my reading, the base model is not a good pair for sensitive cans(Focal Clear MG and Meze 99 classics). Can anyone comment on which mods to the Milo would best allow me to continue enjoying my Focals? Also, can anyone tell me what Wells Audio's return policy is if I purchase one but wind up wanting to return it after an audition? I can't find any info about this on their website.

@SunRa Fan

I just got my system back online - after a couple months down due to a home construction project. Jeff built this Milo out for me in September - heavily modified with 1) External PSU, 2) Goldpoint Stepped Attenuator and 3) Bybee Filters.

Similar to you, I want to use Grados and Focal with the Milo.

So far my ZMFs sound excellent, however, my Grado and Focal are totally unusable, there is significant noise floor / and I fear they will likely clip and have stopped testing.

I see Zachik notes in post above a "Gain Cut Circuit (High / Low)" --> I'll give Jeff a shout this week and see if I can learn more about this. I'm a bit surprised why if this functionality exists that It was never mentioned to me when the other investments were made to get my Milo "grado" capable. Perhaps it is a very recent development as of November ??

Jeff was very kind in his guidance / thinking through my Milo build-out - so hopefully I can quickly sort out the high/low gain switch optionality this week and accomplish what I originally set out to do here.

IMG_1708.jpeg

Dec 18, 2022 at 7:55 PM Post #989 of 1,022
I see Zachik notes in post above a "Gain Cut Circuit (High / Low)" --> I'll give Jeff a shout this week and see if I can learn more about this. I'm a bit surprised why if this functionality exists that It was never mentioned to me when the other investments were made to get my Milo "grado" capable. Perhaps it is a very recent development as of November ??
I tested my Milo with my most sensitive headphones in my collection, the Sennheiser HD569 (23 Ω / 115 dB) and even with the gain cut circuit - noise floor is audible.
The Milo is not a good match for very sensitive headphones, but it is amazing with planars and with less-sensitive dynamic headphones!

Dec 18, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #990 of 1,022
I tested my Milo with my most sensitive headphones in my collection, the Sennheiser HD569 (23 Ω / 115 dB) and even with the gain cut circuit - noise floor is audible.
The Milo is not a good match for very sensitive headphones, but it is amazing with planars and with less-sensitive dynamic headphones!

Well if what you say is true regarding the gain cut - I don't get why I was told my Grados (and Focal) would be perfectly fine with the "new LPS" and the Goldpoint. That was the entire point of my investment, which was a decent amount of money. I could not have been more upfront with what I was seeking (before any time/money was exchanged by either party).

I'll give Jeff a shout tomorrow - he's been very generous with his time and I've genuinely enjoyed getting to know him a bit - hopefully we get this quickly sorted out.

I'll follow up on this thread from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back