Wells Audio Milo - Impressions And Discussion Thread
Dec 18, 2022 at 9:06 PM Post #991 of 1,022
A Violectric V222 I had previously ordered and then cancelled showed up on my doorstep anyway and I decided to keep it and so I'm putting my interest in the Milo aside for now. I'm sad to hear that even with the newer mods, the Milo still has a high noise floor out in the wild.

Dec 20, 2022 at 11:26 PM Post #992 of 1,022
A Violectric V222 I had previously ordered and then cancelled showed up on my doorstep anyway and I decided to keep it and so I'm putting my interest in the Milo aside for now. I'm sad to hear that even with the newer mods, the Milo still has a high noise floor out in the wild.

For whatever it's worth, I can tell you that my Milo (easily) bested my Violectric v280 (FE) in shootout. I've spent three consecutive nights to ~1am with the Milo and my ZMFs exclusively. The performance of the Milo with high(er) impedance headphones is truly amazing. There is not any audible noise floor with the LPS and Goldpoint. Everything is pitch black (in my chain).

@SunRa Fan

I just got my system back online - after a couple months down due to a home construction project. Jeff built this Milo out for me in September - heavily modified with 1) External PSU, 2) Goldpoint Stepped Attenuator and 3) Bybee Filters.

Similar to you, I want to use Grados and Focal with the Milo.

So far my ZMFs sound excellent, however, my Grado and Focal are totally unusable, there is significant noise floor / and I fear they will likely clip and have stopped testing.
Jeff was very kind in his guidance / thinking through my Milo build-out - so hopefully I can quickly sort out the high/low gain switch optionality this week and accomplish what I originally set out to do here.

Just closing the loop on my previous post - perhaps this information is helpful to others researching or considering further investment/upgrades.

1) Jeff continues to be highly responsive, always kind to speak with and fully invested in working through stuff. I've learned a lot in speaking with him.

2) The noise floor issue appears to be related to certain DACs (more so than others) and ONLY occurs with easy to drive headphones (Grado, Focal, etc.). My ZMFs are dead silent / black back drop.

Going to continuing pushing to see if possible to crack the "Grado nut" with the Milo... appreciate all of @Zachik inputs/guidance as well. At the end of the day, I'm not sure any amplifier can cater to every headphone in any one collection.

The Milo + ZMFs is the most "there" I've heard my Aeolus/Auteur thus far. The resolution, separation, dynamics and staging are fantastic - the overall timbre/flow is the best I've heard from solid state - the Milo truly transports you into the music.

Really fun stuff. :musical_note:

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2022 at 7:45 PM Post #993 of 1,022
The Goldpoint stepped volume control is regarded by many audiophiles to be the best sounding volume control in the world. We have also discovered that the occasional pops when changing volume with the Khozmo stepped attenuator (was due to spurious impedance changes) is gone.
I am looking at picking up a Milo with the Khozmo and Vishay upgrades. I was told that the volume pot is "noisy". How loud are the pops or clicks?

I intend to use the Milo really for my planars, as I have other amps for the more sensitive dynamic HPs. Hence, the noise floor issue is not something I am overly concerned about. :)

Dec 27, 2022 at 11:28 PM Post #994 of 1,022
I am looking at picking up a Milo with the Khozmo and Vishay upgrades. I was told that the volume pot is "noisy". How loud are the pops or clicks?

I intend to use the Milo really for my planars, as I have other amps for the more sensitive dynamic HPs. Hence, the noise floor issue is not something I am overly concerned about. :)
Mine doesn't make any noise at all and I have that exact model.

Dec 28, 2022 at 4:17 AM Post #995 of 1,022
Mine doesn't make any noise at all and I have that exact model.

Thanks for your post @Astral Abyss . I listened to it earlier and at most I would say is there might be very faint static when I turn the volume pot. I do like the tactile feel of the volume pot. @The Piper : Very nice amp! I do like the sonics and of course the effortless way in which it drives the Susvara. Look forward to the rest of my planers enjoying the pairing.

The photo below was when taking it out for a spin. Using the Luxury & Precison LP6 Ti 7th Anniversary Edition as source. At home I am running out of my old faithful, the Bricasti M1. :)

Big shout out to Jeremy of AV One for his unstinting support and ceaseless patience.

FC3E98F8-3C39-43A3-A477-2D314D31ABBA.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #996 of 1,022
Thanks for your post @Astral Abyss . I listened to it earlier and at most I would say is there might be very faint static when I turn the volume pot. I do like the tactile feel of the volume pot. @The Piper : Very nice amp! I do like the sonics and of course the effortless way in which it drives the Susvara. Look forward to the rest of my planers enjoying the pairing.

The photo below was when taking it out for a spin. Using the Luxury & Precison LP6 Ti 7th Anniversary Edition as source. At home I am running out of my old faithful, the Bricasti M1. :)

Big shout out to Jeremy of AV One for his unstinting support and ceaseless patience.

FC3E98F8-3C39-43A3-A477-2D314D31ABBA.jpeg

I wonder if it comes down to the output voltage from the source DAC and possibly the input sensitivity of the headphones?

Dec 28, 2022 at 8:09 PM Post #997 of 1,022
I wonder if it comes down to the output voltage from the source DAC and possibly the input sensitivity of the headphones?
I recall the discussion was in respect of the noise floor in the case of sensitive headphones. It does not bother me cos I have other amps for sensitive headphones.

As for the output voltage from DAC, perhaps. What I will say is that the Bricasti M1 DAC seems to play very nicely with amps.

This morning I am listening to the MySphere 3.2 which is one of those headphones which is not so easy to work with. But seems to work very well with the Milo. :)

EE256559-4E03-410D-A32C-E55103FA12E5.jpeg

Apr 25, 2023 at 8:41 AM Post #999 of 1,022
Enjoying the HE-6 with the Milo. Such a gorgeous lush combination. :)

IMG_4264.jpeg

Apr 25, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #1,000 of 1,022
I plan on sending mine to Jeff for some upgrades, namely the outboard power supply, the gain switches, and the Goldpoint attenuator.

I thought about upgrading to a completely different amp, such as the Bliss, but something in my head keeps saying I'd be happier in the end with the Wells Audio sound.

Apr 25, 2023 at 8:51 PM Post #1,001 of 1,022
I plan on sending mine to Jeff for some upgrades, namely the outboard power supply, the gain switches, and the Goldpoint attenuator.

I thought about upgrading to a completely different amp, such as the Bliss, but something in my head keeps saying I'd be happier in the end with the Wells Audio sound.

You won't regret it. With these modifications - the Milo smokes the competition at its relative price point.

For your consideration --> the Bybee Filters as well :notes:

Apr 28, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #1,002 of 1,022
For your consideration --> the Bybee Filters as well :notes:

Thanks, what do the Bybee filters get you? Also curious why I've never heard of these vendors (Bybee, Vishay) outside of the Wells Audio world. Are they a common upgrade to other amps as well?

Apr 28, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #1,003 of 1,022
what do the Bybee filters get you?
The premise is to reduce noise (from AC) and "improve the overall signal to produce better detail resolution and greater warmth and harmonic richness".

Also curious why I've never heard of these vendors (Bybee, Vishay) outside of the Wells Audio world.
Vishay is a VERY popular brand for higher quality resistors, used by many audio companies and DIY enthusiasts. You never heard of them because you're probably not lingering in the DIY discussions :wink:

Apr 28, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #1,004 of 1,022
The premise is to reduce noise (from AC) and "improve the overall signal to produce better detail resolution and greater warmth and harmonic richness".

Vishay is a VERY popular brand for higher quality resistors, used by many audio companies and DIY enthusiasts. You never heard of them because you're probably not lingering in the DIY discussions :wink:

Thank you for the explanation. Googling Vishay earlier led me down a fun rabbit hole but I guess it's one of those details most manufacturers wouldn't have listed in a consumer-facing spec sheet.
TIL :beerchug:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back