Wells Audio Milo - Impressions And Discussion Thread
Sep 7, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #961 of 1,022

Attachments

• IMG_20220907_164812873.jpg
    IMG_20220907_164812873.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Sep 7, 2022 at 11:01 PM Post #962 of 1,022
Sep 8, 2022 at 2:22 AM Post #963 of 1,022
Don't tell me you're interested in these mediocre amps.
I wanted to see how they look, since headphone monoblocks are quite rare.

The only amp I'm interested in buying is the Feliks Envy. Which is planned for when my current one is sold. You know, to get some Elrog into my setup

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2022 at 11:26 AM Post #966 of 1,022
I'm considering getting a Milo, but from my reading, the base model is not a good pair for sensitive cans(Focal Clear MG and Meze 99 classics). Can anyone comment on which mods to the Milo would best allow me to continue enjoying my Focals? Also, can anyone tell me what Wells Audio's return policy is if I purchase one but wind up wanting to return it after an audition? I can't find any info about this on their website.

Nov 29, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #967 of 1,022
Don't tell me you're interested in these mediocre amps.
OK O learned one, please inform us low-lifes just why these amps aren't all that... prolly looking at a Feliks Envy or similar tube amp future, but why slam these amps?

Nov 29, 2022 at 4:37 PM Post #968 of 1,022
Nov 30, 2022 at 12:06 AM Post #969 of 1,022
I'm considering getting a Milo, but from my reading, the base model is not a good pair for sensitive cans(Focal Clear MG and Meze 99 classics). Can anyone comment on which mods to the Milo would best allow me to continue enjoying my Focals? Also, can anyone tell me what Wells Audio's return policy is if I purchase one but wind up wanting to return it after an audition? I can't find any info about this on their website.
I have answered these concerns for SunRa already but though it would be helpful to posts the answers. We designed a new outboard power supply that reduces noise to a vanishing level. We even have customers using the Milo with very sensitive IEMs with no noise. About a month ago we came up with a circuit to add a pair of gain cut switches that reduce the gain by 50% with flip of a pair of switches. These two new features have addressed those shortcomings that have kept some from being able to experience the Milo to it's full potential but those days are now gone. Those that are owners of very efficient headphones no longer have any excuses not to own the Milo. BTW, these features are also available to be added to the Headtrip.

Nov 30, 2022 at 12:10 AM Post #970 of 1,022
I have answered these concerns for SunRa already but though it would be helpful to posts the answers. We designed a new outboard power supply that reduces noise to a vanishing level. We even have customers using the Milo with very sensitive IEMs with no noise. About a month ago we came up with a circuit to add a pair of gain cut switches that reduce the gain by 50% with flip of a pair of switches. These two new features have addressed those shortcomings that have kept some from being able to experience the Milo to it's full potential but those days are now gone. Those that are owners of very efficient headphones no longer have any excuses not to own the Milo. BTW, these features are also available to be added to the Headtrip.
As a follow up Zachik has taken possession of a new Milo with the outboard power supply as well as the new gain cut circuit. He may want to comment soon on his experiences with it.

Nov 30, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #971 of 1,022
So those of us who bought the $15k Headtrip Reference (Level 2) with internal power supplies sort of got screwed? For that kind of money, this is a big oversight to not have included an outboard power supply knowing that it’s the best solution for noise elimination. It’s not like outboard power supplies are new technology that it couldn’t have come with the HT Reference when you first introduced it. If an outboard power supply was known to be a better solution at the time, it should have come with that, especially at its price point. Feeling short changed.

Nov 30, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #972 of 1,022
Prolly take Wells Audio off the short list at this time. Not bashing their product, just natural selection at work LOL.

Nov 30, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #973 of 1,022
OK O learned one, please inform us low-lifes just why these amps aren't all that... prolly looking at a Feliks Envy or similar tube amp future, but why slam these amps?
There's plenty of discussion around why their amps are terrible.

They're severely overpriced for what simple topologies are served up, sold with wasting boutique parts of questionable quality.
Look at the constant up-sell of levels -- the very nature of gimped power supply and consequence of gimmicky high gain design, and woeful craftmanship. It's sad.

But if you want to pay the piper, go for it.

The reason I slam these amps is they remind me a lot of The Dark Star which sells to the ignorant audiophile.

Nov 30, 2022 at 6:14 PM Post #974 of 1,022
There's plenty of discussion around why their amps are terrible.

They're severely overpriced for what simple topologies are served up, sold with wasting boutique parts of questionable quality.
Look at the constant up-sell of levels -- the very nature of gimped power supply and consequence of gimmicky high gain design, and woeful craftmanship. It's sad.

But if you want to pay the piper, go for it.

The reason I slam these amps is they remind me a lot of The Dark Star which sells to the ignorant audiophile.
OK I was just curious. Personally I like the Headamp Gilmore topologies; I have a GSX Mini which is just superlative IMHO. Someday I would like to get a TOTL tube amp like the Feliks Envy or similar, still researching tube amps as I don't know much about them at all. I do know that Wells Audio is darned proud of their amps, I have never owned one or known anyone who did.

Nov 30, 2022 at 10:18 PM Post #975 of 1,022
As a follow up Zachik has taken possession of a new Milo with the outboard power supply as well as the new gain cut circuit. He may want to comment soon on his experiences with it.
Just discovered this thread today (have not read the previous 64 pages)...
As @The Piper mentioned, I bought very recently a new Milo with several upgrades:
* External PSU
* Goldpoint stepped attenuator
* Bybee AC purifiers
* Gain cut circuit (high/low gain switches)

I fell in love with this amp during CanJam Socal (2 months ago) paired with the ZMF Caldera.
At home, with my DAC and source - my Milo sounds glorious!
Coming from a tube guy, this amp is the most musical solid-state amp I ever heard.

I have not tested it with sensitive headphones, yet, but with the Caldera:
* High gain (basically full gain like every Milo built to date): I paused the music, and cranked the volume to max. Very slight audible noise floor with the Caldera. Mind you, at this volume level if I start the music by mistake - I might blow my ear drums! Milo is a VERY powerful amp!!! So such low noise floor at max volume is VERY impressive.
* Low gain (new gain cut circuit engaged): Now, I cannot hear the noise floor anymore (with the Caldera). I will conduct this experiment again, to confirm what I remember, but IF the noise floor is audible - now it is VERY hard to hear it. Again, at max volume which I guarantee you'll never get close to.

Another note about noise floor:
Even at high gain, I could not hear ANY noise floor at VERY VERY loud volume levels. So, even if you're the person who listens at HIGH levels - with the ZMF Caldera, you will not hear it between songs or very quiet passages.

I will test it out with sensitive headphones, but will have to wait for a couple of days for that...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back