Wells Audio Milo - Impressions And Discussion Thread
May 2, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #1,006 of 1,022
Quick question: if I’m interested in the outboard power supply, is this something I would need to send the Milo into Jeff for? Or could I just buy one and he send it to me? Also (long shot here!) if anyone is interested in selling one to me, let me know.

Yes. Reach out to Jeff and say hello. I'm sure he'll give you the run down on what's involved - you'll enjoy the conversation / education (I always do).

May 13, 2023 at 9:59 PM Post #1,007 of 1,022
Another wonderful evening with the Milo. Pitch black background using the custom LPS, Goldpoint v47 and Bybee Filters.

So the outboard power supply is indeed linear, or do you mean you have a 3rd party custom LPS that works with the Milo?

May 13, 2023 at 10:17 PM Post #1,008 of 1,022
So the outboard power supply is indeed linear, or do you mean you have a 3rd party custom LPS that works with the Milo?

Custom made outboard (linear) power supply by Jeff Wells. I would not suggest using a 3rd party with the Milo - in fact I don't think its even possible.

Red arrow in photo is the power supply (for the Milo). Sorry I can't get a better photo at the moment -- my unit is with Jeff right now for another modification :sunglasses:

Screen Shot 2023-05-13 at 10.18.00 PM.png

Last edited:
May 13, 2023 at 11:10 PM Post #1,009 of 1,022
Dec 31, 2023 at 9:13 PM Post #1,011 of 1,022
You won't regret it. With these modifications - the Milo smokes the competition at its relative price point.

For your consideration --> the Bybee Filters as well :notes:

Playing the Wells Milo and the Bliss side-by-side and right now the Milo has a very slight edge imo. I've only had the Bliss two weeks and from past experience with the Holo Audio Spring things really started coming into their own after two months+, so I'm hoping that's the case with the Bliss. My original plan was to sell the Milo once I got the BLiss, but now I'm not sure. I'll wait awhile longer.

Dec 31, 2023 at 10:26 PM Post #1,012 of 1,022
Playing the Wells Milo and the Bliss side-by-side and right now the Milo has a very slight edge imo. I've only had the Bliss two weeks and from past experience with the Holo Audio Spring things really started coming into their own after two months+, so I'm hoping that's the case with the Bliss. My original plan was to sell the Milo once I got the BLiss, but now I'm not sure. I'll wait awhile longer.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the Milo - it's an incredible amplifier - one of the most enjoyable I've ever owned.

I have a funny feeling your Bliss will be the amplifier in the classified in 2024 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Jan 1, 2024 at 1:17 AM Post #1,013 of 1,022
The look of the Milo makes it one of my all time favorites. I prefered the sound of the Dragon Level 2 … but the Milo was on of the first serious amps I ever had….a classic!

Jan 1, 2024 at 7:02 PM Post #1,014 of 1,022
I like the Milo so much that I have 2 of them (don't ask). Will probably sell one in the coming months.

I have a thing for headphone amps, including powerful solid state designs with elevated, nuanced sound that slams hard but also conveys the subtle musical nuances. That's the Milo.

I enjoy comparing the Milo to the V281. These amps are nothing at all alike physically or in their I/O designs, but they're clearly in the same sonic ballpark.

Jan 1, 2024 at 7:50 PM Post #1,015 of 1,022
I like the Milo so much that I have 2 of them (don't ask). Will probably sell one in the coming months.

I have a thing for headphone amps, including powerful solid state designs with elevated, nuanced sound that slams hard but also conveys the subtle musical nuances. That's the Milo.

I enjoy comparing the Milo to the V281. These amps are nothing at all alike physically or in their I/O designs, but they're clearly in the same sonic ballpark.
Wow! I have the Milo too. But I do wonder about the other amps in the range. But I guess the performance vs cost factor of the Milo really cannot be beat. And I love the way that it has been constructed. I once had a terrible accident with with the Milo and it fell over from my desktop… I was very sad but it was an easy fix. The faceplate which was cracked was simply replaced by a new one sent across. The local AD could simply unscrew the damaged one and replace with the new one. And it looks as good as new. :)

Jan 2, 2024 at 9:51 AM Post #1,016 of 1,022
Glad to hear you're enjoying the Milo - it's an incredible amplifier - one of the most enjoyable I've ever owned.

I have a funny feeling your Bliss will be the amplifier in the classified in 2024 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Definitely a possibility but I'm still hoping the Bliss can kick into another gear like the Spring did-which was the best DAC I've ever owned and it's not even close. Right now though the Milo is just sounding sensational. Why is this amp so underrated? I remember first hearing it at ZMF's desk at a Can Jam when the Eikon first came out and it was next level. Incredible synergy with all my ZMFs.

Jan 2, 2024 at 12:57 PM Post #1,017 of 1,022

We have the same tastes. I can't imagine selling either my Milo or V280. They're both wonderfully warm but each offer something a little different that would make me regret selling either.

Jan 2, 2024 at 8:35 PM Post #1,018 of 1,022
We have the same tastes. I can't imagine selling either my Milo or V280. They're both wonderfully warm but each offer something a little different that would make me regret selling either.
Yeah... I have a few amps, precisely for the same reason. They all bring something different to table. And it is indeed nice to have choices. Especially when synergy will be different with transducers. :)

Apr 1, 2024 at 9:57 AM Post #1,019 of 1,022
I had the chance to hear the Milo this past weekend. I got together with another Head-Fi member, who lives close by. My intent was to check out his Mod House Tungsten headphones and he brought them over, so I could hear them through my tube amps. He just happened to bring along his Milo and now I'm more interested in the Milo than the Tungsten! The Milo sounded great with the Tungsten, of course, but I also listened with my Abyss 1266 and felt there was more low-end girth/resonance and depth, compared to my Woo WA22. I had been thinking about a good solid state amp for a long time, but there are too many choices. Now that I've heard the Milo, I should keep my eyes open for one.

Question: Are you owners happy with your build quality? This fellow member had to send his back twice, as it had humming noise. It's perfect now, but that's a concern. Also, what are the benefits of the external linear power supply? Makes sense to reduce noice for tube amps, but I didn't think it was necessary for solid state.

Apr 1, 2024 at 10:51 AM Post #1,020 of 1,022
Question: Are you owners happy with your build quality?
Yes! No issues here.

Also, what are the benefits of the external linear power supply?
It was done to reduce noise from the transformer from "creeping" to the amplifier circuit.
Also, as far as I know - there is not choice in the matter as Jeff is building all new Milo amps with external PSU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back