Well, I think it is safe to say that none of our head-fi equipment will fly anymore
Aug 11, 2006 at 5:56 PM Post #61 of 106
rolleyes.gif
No toothpaste or shampoo? What?

I know it contains "trace" amounts of a "trace" ingredient that "could" be used as an explosive, but damn, if that is true....

I guess this means no CMOY
rolleyes.gif

Aug 11, 2006 at 6:04 PM Post #62 of 106
I, for one, will be checking with the airlines about the electronic devices while I'm sitting in the airport parking garage prior to check-in! If there's doubt, I won't be risking the ZVM and/or Pint being confiscated and I'm not about to try mailing them back in any sort of padded envelope from the airport. I'm sure they won't try and stop cell phones so I'm going to prepare for it being my travel mp3 player. Sucky sound is better than no sound.

Of course, look at the money I'll save by not needing a great portable and IEM's for vacations and business travel!
frown.gif

Then again...maybe we're over-reacting here. So far, it's not an issue. Guess these are the times we live in so despite our protestations, we need to all try and work within the system for the safety of our nation. If it means no ipods, laptops or books...so be it. I'll take ear plugs and bring a magazine or three.

We truly are at war when they start messing with our headphone gear!!
mad.gif

Aug 11, 2006 at 6:18 PM Post #63 of 106
Try flying El Al.

If you're a non-Jewish male, travelling alone, you'll probably get some extra scrutiny, which actually can work in your favor. That's because your carry-on items will be taken and hand-searched (along with your checked stuff). So, you go through the sometimes brain-damaged TSA checkpoints without your amp. El Al will bring your checked stuff to the gate after it's been thoroughly screened.

It was kind of a pain in the @ss when I went through this earlier this year, but now, I think it may be a good option to consider.

Another nice thing about flying EL Al, is the meals are pretty nice, and you get REAL utensils, incuding a knife. Oh, they also seem to employ a lot of attractive female security agents, so the "interrogation" was fairly pleasant.
tongue.gif

Seriously, it's a very nice airline, and now my 1st choice for flying to Toronto.

Aug 11, 2006 at 6:56 PM Post #64 of 106
As far as I know and from what I've read, electronic devices are allowed but not on flights headed towards the UK. British airports has put a ban on laptops, cell phones, and portable music devices.

Aug 11, 2006 at 7:45 PM Post #66 of 106
We're forced to be much more sociable than before
tongue.gif
. Hope you frequent flyers get better seat neighbors on the plane.

Aug 11, 2006 at 7:47 PM Post #67 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
So can I still wear my waterbra?

LOL, and can my husband still check in the liquid butane for his lighter?? Sheesh!

I wonder what putting a pocketpc and cellphone in your checked baggage would accomplish. It's not like it's impossible to have it wake up, turn on bluetooth, execute a program when it wakes up from suspend, and said program execute a command. You don't have to be there to do anything. The key is sweeping for the device it's going to talk to. And you'd think they know how to do that.

Aug 11, 2006 at 8:04 PM Post #69 of 106
This is all done so that the airlines can sell more of their own crappy & overpriced food/drinks and those wonderfull headphones. Time to get an mp3 pacemaker implant
tongue.gif

Aug 11, 2006 at 8:19 PM Post #70 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
...I wonder what putting a pocketpc and cellphone in your checked baggage would accomplish. It's not like it's impossible to have it wake up, turn on bluetooth, execute a program when it wakes up from suspend, and said program execute a command. You don't have to be there to do anything. The key is sweeping for the device it's going to talk to. And you'd think they know how to do that.

I think that type of thing is way over the heads of the bureaucrats in charge of setting these policies. Most of them probably don't even know what Bluetooth is
rolleyes.gif

Aug 11, 2006 at 8:27 PM Post #71 of 106
From my past experiences, the security center requires you to turn on any device you are carrying it on the plane.

To verify that it is legit.

However I read in the paper this morning, that keys and liquids and other common personal belongings are beingbanned...

the also made a point of saying that the electronic key openers are a big nono...

well...It would really suck not to have a DAP for the whole flight, also what about headphones?

im sure you could use and adapter and use any headphone you please...lol

Well...someone who is flying take the chance and post what they think.

Aug 11, 2006 at 8:42 PM Post #73 of 106
I bet in the future you won’t need to bring a portable MP3 player on the plane, but probably will eventually be able to access catalogues of virtual any type of music or artist. I’ve one very controversial word that would reduce a lot of this insanity: profiling. If you are looking for a few weeds you don’t rip out every plant and blade of grass in the garden.

Aug 11, 2006 at 8:44 PM Post #74 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace o' Spades
rolleyes.gif
No toothpaste or shampoo? What?

I know it contains "trace" amounts of a "trace" ingredient that "could" be used as an explosive, but damn, if that is true....

I guess this means no CMOY
rolleyes.gif

The problem isn't with toothpaste, it's what would happen if someone filled a toothpaste tube with an explosive substance.

Quite frankly the measures make a lot of sense, even the clear bag one. Planes are big objects that fly around very fast, they should be as secure as humanly possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back