Well, I think it is safe to say that none of our head-fi equipment will fly anymore
Aug 11, 2006 at 12:04 PM Post #31 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker
I flew last week from NYC to Dallas and back and had HeadRoom Overture DAC and HeadAmp AE-1 with me as a carry on... no problems at all

Um, have you seen the news in the past 24 hours? What you did last week is pretty much irrelevent.

Aug 11, 2006 at 1:38 PM Post #32 of 106
frown.gif
It says no ipods or BOOKS
I know i should be focusing on the music devices (heck, im goin overseas in a few weeks, it'd suck to have no music)
But books! WHAT ARE WE MEANT TO DO?? read the merch catalogue, then start over, n over
Lol, no chance of me sneaking a supermini in, is there?
What do they do with it if they think it's 'suspicious'?
frown.gif

Aug 11, 2006 at 1:42 PM Post #33 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by nelamvr6
Maybe if you just plug everything together and play some music they'll see.

Plus they'll be so blown away by the great sound they'll prolly refund your ticket price!
rs1smile.gif

Sounds too similar to being blown up, they simply won't allow it.

On the seperate note though, I believe it doesn't apply worldwide, yet, but with USA and Europe covered, most of the traveller's destinations are covered. So...

Quote:

Oh man, I spent lots of money on ETY ER-4's, a Xin SuperMacro IV and a 100GB Archos AV500 ( ) specifically, pretty much exlusively, for the 100 hours of USA / UK air travel (incl. honeymoon) I have coming up later this year. Would have made different decisions if I knew I couldn't use it on board. Going to be pretty bummed if I can't, don't know how I will react if anythings confiscated...

Any advice?

Anyone for an Asian honeymoon? :p

Aug 11, 2006 at 1:42 PM Post #34 of 106
I don't know about the books, as that just seems silly. However, from what I read, laptops, ipods, etc, aren't banned unless you are flying from the UK. They could also be banned flying to the UK, but I'm unsure about that. A long plane flight with no music options would be pretty horrible

Aug 11, 2006 at 1:45 PM Post #36 of 106
No guarantees, but you could print out the product description page off the fixup site and bring it with you. Gonna use the Supermini for the airplane armrest headphone jack?
biggrin.gif

I think I heard somewhere that airports auction/sell off confiscated items by the lb. or something. The weight part may have been a joke.

Aug 11, 2006 at 2:05 PM Post #37 of 106
As someone who's flying in two weeks (St. Louis to Vegas), I'm a little concerned that DAPs will be banned, since I was going to buy a higher capacity player so it would hold enough for the flight. I'd hate to do that and not be able to use it! If those aren't allowed, phones couldn't be either. Having to get your luggage from the carousel before calling anyone would be a pain.

Aug 11, 2006 at 2:27 PM Post #38 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri
frown.gif
It says no ipods or BOOKS
I know i should be focusing on the music devices (heck, im goin overseas in a few weeks, it'd suck to have no music)
But books! WHAT ARE WE MEANT TO DO?? read the merch catalogue, then start over, n over
Lol, no chance of me sneaking a supermini in, is there?
What do they do with it if they think it's 'suspicious'?
frown.gif

As of this moment, electronics are still permitted with the possible exeption being flights in or out of the UK so unless that's a stop or connection, I think you're good. See this link:

Straight answers from the TSA

Aug 11, 2006 at 2:43 PM Post #40 of 106
It's a serious issue for many who travel extensively(I'm one of those) and absolutely depend on their portables for maintaining their sanity on longer trips.

I'll be honest and say that if they do get to the point that electronics are forbidden, it will mean a dramatic change in my travel and a great reduction in flying. It's already a miserable experience but this would push it over the top for this traveler.

Who in their right mind would pack any electronic gear in a checked bag?? OTOH, if this is the way things go and only cell phones are allowed, I guess it will be time to make sure your cell can do a decent job of playing mp3's. Just pray they don't take away headphones! Then again I could just buy some ear plugs and drink heavily during the flight. That might just be the ticket!

Aug 11, 2006 at 2:45 PM Post #41 of 106
I am watching this whole situation with much concern. My Etys, SM3, and PCDP have given new life to my necessary business travels. A 14 to 17 hour international flight to Asia (only one leg... total time from door to hotel can approach 35 hours) is almost unimaginable under the best of circumstances. Without these important tools of sanity, I am afraid I may actually have to change jobs (yes, it's that serious). I too, like a previous post, am 6' 4" tall and don't handle air travel well to begin with. While I do fly business class on international flights, it is still a test of my mental toughness and physical limits to handle such long flights. I have never been able to sleep well on a plane and have always been envious of those that could. I just hope and pray that they don't ban all electronics indefinitely. The isolation and escape that the equipment and music provides are better than any drug I could ever be given (or was given). David

Aug 11, 2006 at 2:46 PM Post #42 of 106
Pretty soon FAA requirements will call for all passengers to be naked. No carry on luggae, no electronics, no food, no liquid, no clothing, not even your dignity or your soul will be allowed on board. Just your birthday suit! And looking around at the general population, that idea is pretty freakin' scary. For me, the aggrivation that comes along with flying these days is not even worth my time or effort. I now avoid flying whenever possible.

The terrorists have gotten exactly what they wanted. Sad, really.

Aug 11, 2006 at 3:01 PM Post #43 of 106
I've deleted some posts that were political in nature. Let's keep it on topic and not discuss the political issues which can easily flow from this discussion. I also moved the thread to the members lounge.

Aug 11, 2006 at 3:03 PM Post #44 of 106
for my flight sunday (domestic) I plan on bringing a USPS box just in case if I have to I can just plop the stuff in a box, no way I am going to give the TSA my redwine ipod/hornet/ety4s.
the only time I ever got really hassled was a switch box and when I saw what it looked like with all the wires in xray I would have hassled me to

Aug 11, 2006 at 3:06 PM Post #45 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801
for my flight sunday (domestic) I plan on bringing a USPS box just in case if I have to I can just plop the stuff in a box, no way I am going to give the TSA my redwine ipod/hornet/ety4s.
the only time I ever got really hassled was a switch box and when I saw what it looked like with all the wires in xray I would have hassled me to

Have you arranged for an amp sitter for the Moth. I can't believe you would leave it home alone.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back