Well, I think it is safe to say that none of our head-fi equipment will fly anymore
Aug 10, 2006 at 4:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 106

1000+ Head-Fier
At least, not as carry-on baggage.

Even after the whole threat level on airports dies down, it will be too much of a hassle to explain amps and wires and stuff.

I think it is safe to say no more hi-fi listening on planes, guys.
blink.gif

Aug 10, 2006 at 4:43 PM Post #3 of 106
I am going to Scotland in September not long after 9/11. And I was going to bring my Rio Karma setup with me to listen as well as readon the plane. If I can't even bring a book on the plane, I am going to be one pissed off traveler.

Aug 10, 2006 at 6:47 PM Post #4 of 106
From Home Land Security Office:

Question
Media have also reported that laptops, cell phones and electronic items are no longer allowed. Is that true?

Answer
No. TSA continues to allow laptop computers, cell phones and other electronic items.

Aug 10, 2006 at 7:07 PM Post #5 of 106
MODERATOR - Would this thread be better placed in the Members Lounge/General Discussion forum?

Aug 10, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #6 of 106
Aug 10, 2006 at 7:15 PM Post #7 of 106
Aug 10, 2006 at 7:16 PM Post #8 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert
I can see how the TAS would think that the lighted up tin-box is a home-made bomb detonator
smily_headphones1.gif
I am sure it would be fine if you bring something that looks more professionally made commercial stuff
wink.gif

But curious george was so cute reaching for that shiny LED! He's a harmless lil chimp!
frown.gif

Aug 10, 2006 at 7:24 PM Post #9 of 106
This makes me wonder how I got away with taking my mint tin cmoy to germany and back last year. It was strapped to my iriver with velcro in my backpack. Funny thing is, I had to open up my other carry on because they were suspicious of some presents i brought back, but never said a word about the little electronic bundle in my backpack... just got lucky i guess

Aug 10, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #11 of 106
I will definitely not put my amp in carry-on baggage anymore , especially with American Airlines. However last winter when I traveled to China, I did bring my supermini-3 with me. Actually thinking about it now, I even took the amp apart during the flight to adjust the bassboost jumpers, LOL. The flight attendant saw me doing that and appeared to be quite concerned for a moment. Then I guess good common sense told her that I wasn't gonna do anything crazy on a plane full of Chinese...
etysmile.gif

Aug 10, 2006 at 7:53 PM Post #12 of 106
From this morning:

[size=small]Items banned aboard planes in Britain[/size]
By The Associated Press
Thu Aug 10, 10:18 AM ET

Security measures in place Thursday at British airports in response to thwarted terror plot:
Prohibited items in airline cabins:
• All liquids, except medicine and baby formula verified as authentic.
• Food bought at airport.
• Handbags.
• All electrical and battery-powered items, including laptop computers, mobile phones and iPods.
• Electric key fobs.
• Wheelchairs, except those provided by airport.
___
Items permitted in cabin, carried in clear plastic bag:
• Pocket-size wallets and purses containing money, ID and credit cards.
• Passports and tickets.
• Prescription medicine and medical items.
• Glasses and sunglasses, but not cases.
• Contact lens holders, but not lens solution.
• Baby formula and milk, but contents of each bottle must be tasted by passenger.
• Diapers, wipes, creams for infants.
• Tampons, sanitary napkins and tissues, but not boxes.
• Keys.

Aug 10, 2006 at 8:26 PM Post #14 of 106
AFAIK, what happened was that the Brits just now busted some intended-terrorists whose scheme was blowing up planes in mid-air via some combination of unspecified liquids and batteries. All this is Brand New News. Which means everybody is knee-jerking, trying to figure out what to do. I don't think anybody knows what it will be like a week from now. In the short run, they're probably over-reacting, trying to err on the side of safety. Some reports say "no carry ons at all" on trans-oceanic flights. Other reports say no liquids and no battery-operated anything. Other reports say that they're making mothers of infants take sips of formula in from of security guys, else no baby formula on the plane.

Right now it's all in flux. We just need to wait and see on this one. Right now, nobody knows yet, it's just too soon. In the meantime, mass confusion is what you get with 24-hour-newspeople who just report the latest rumor all over international TV.

Aug 10, 2006 at 9:58 PM Post #15 of 106
could someone please explain to me whats going on? Whats wrong with bringing amps and such on planes? When i went home from Cali->NY and back in may, i had my ppx3 in my carry-on, as well as my tubes and my ipod/xin supermini and had no problems at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back