Well, I think it is safe to say that none of our head-fi equipment will fly anymore
Aug 11, 2006 at 3:22 PM Post #46 of 106
iPod's haven't been banned in the US yet right? I plan on just velcroing my supermini3 to my iPod and say its an external battery.

Aug 11, 2006 at 3:28 PM Post #47 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
Have you arranged for an amp sitter for the Moth. I can't believe you would leave it home alone.
biggrin.gif

if you would like to babysit be my guest

Aug 11, 2006 at 3:33 PM Post #48 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by benton
iPod's haven't been banned in the US yet right? I plan on just velcroing my supermini3 to my iPod and say its an external battery.

Do not lie to the TSA people. That can easily get you in a world of hurt and legal fees.

Also, they reason electronics are being banned is because their batteries can be used to trigger primary explosives. Because of that, I don't think your ruse would work.

Aug 11, 2006 at 3:57 PM Post #49 of 106
Electronics are still allowed as carry-on items in the US but not in the UK/Europe. I have to travel on Tuesday and will leave plenty of time to explain my iPod/SR-71/E500 setup and then check it if that doesn't work. I am really hoping that my next flight--to Japan--will not be too restricted because a music-free flight would suck. I guess I better check into the Japanese response to this issue.

One thing we will not be able to bring with us on Tuesday for sure is the cherry lightning liqueur that we make here in Michigan every year--large mason jars with reddish liquid and cherries won't cut it as carry-on this year!
mad.gif
frown.gif
mad.gif

Aug 11, 2006 at 4:07 PM Post #50 of 106
I agree with KenW. If it gets to the point where I cannot bring my iPod/amp/headphones on airplane trips, I will find another job. I travel at least 3 times a month on business, and I simply won't do it without portable music. No way.

HOWEVER, in the USA on domestic flights, electronics are fine. Just no shampoo or toothpaste. So you can rock out, but you're gonna stink.

Aug 11, 2006 at 4:08 PM Post #51 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by muckluck
My father said. "Travel in just your underwear, and everything will be fine."

I think the security will get suspicous too if you have a big bulge.

Aug 11, 2006 at 4:11 PM Post #52 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
Have you arranged for an amp sitter for the Moth. I can't believe you would leave it home alone.
biggrin.gif

He has a Moth? You wouldn't happen to know his address would you?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Just kidding of course. Though a Moth would go well with the K340s I just bought. Hmm, I think that it's time to start searching for either a 45 or 3A2 based amplifier. Time to visit Doc Bottlehead to see what he has for headphones these days.
340smile.gif

-Ken

Aug 11, 2006 at 4:11 PM Post #53 of 106
yeah, that's something that I've given some thought as well. I have a trip coming up in the not so distant future and I was hoping to be able to bring my LDM+ with my ZMP, but the way things are going I might bring my ZMP and leave the amp at home
frown.gif

Aug 11, 2006 at 4:29 PM Post #55 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri
But books! WHAT ARE WE MEANT TO DO?? read the merch catalogue, then start over, n over(

I know it sucks. For the books, I know where they are coming from. Military grade explosives can be placed along the spine of books and it masks the nitrates so the machines can't detect it.

I have to travel for business in about 2 weeks, and need a laptop. I'm betting the other shoe will drop around that time to say that you can't bring any electronic devices.

Aug 11, 2006 at 4:35 PM Post #56 of 106
The news is on here now and they say that at the Cincinnati airport that they have said no liquids of anykind, but that Ipods and laptops were still ok at this point....

I agree that at this rate it wont be long till your flying nude
eek.gif
lol

Aug 11, 2006 at 4:39 PM Post #57 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by guzziguy
He has a Moth? You wouldn't happen to know his address would you?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Just kidding of course. Though a Moth would go well with the K340s I just bought. Hmm, I think that it's time to start searching for either a 45 or 3A2 based amplifier. Time to visit Doc Bottlehead to see what he has for headphones these days.
340smile.gif

-Ken

Thats an interesting way to model products
cool.gif

Aug 11, 2006 at 4:40 PM Post #58 of 106
I flew LAX IAD Tuesday morning and then IAD SAN Thursday afternoon. Carried cell phone, ipod, Porta corda, ety4s, and laptop onto the plane with no problems. They did look over the porta corda and ask what it was but everything else went through no problems.

With both a domestic and international flight next week, I asked the TSA agent at IAD on Thursday to clarify what's allowable on board. No liquids is the major theme. Commericial portable electronics are okay. Homemade portable electronics are going to be severly scruitinized. It will be up to the on-site TSA officials to make the call on homemade electronics.

The confusion is on heavy restrictions on flights between US and UK. Pretty much nothing can be taken on board except tickets, passport, prescription medicine, and some baby food. And all have to be in a clear plastic bag.

Check-in luggage remains the same. You can check in your shampoos, perfumes, toothpastes, and of course headphone amps.

Carrying a UPS/Fedex/USPS bag/box to mail items to yourself sort of works. Its just that you'll have to get out of line completely, go mail your packages, then get in line again. I had some long waits at Washington. Going through the line twice is not my idea of fun.

Aug 11, 2006 at 5:24 PM Post #59 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeliao
I flew LAX IAD Tuesday morning and then IAD SAN Thursday afternoon. Carried cell phone, ipod, Porta corda, ety4s, and laptop onto the plane with no problems. They did look over the porta corda and ask what it was but everything else went through no problems.

With both a domestic and international flight next week, I asked the TSA agent at IAD on Thursday to clarify what's allowable on board. No liquids is the major theme. Commericial portable electronics are okay. Homemade portable electronics are going to be severly scruitinized. It will be up to the on-site TSA officials to make the call on homemade electronics.

The confusion is on heavy restrictions on flights between US and UK. Pretty much nothing can be taken on board except tickets, passport, prescription medicine, and some baby food. And all have to be in a clear plastic bag.

Check-in luggage remains the same. You can check in your shampoos, perfumes, toothpastes, and of course headphone amps.

Carrying a UPS/Fedex/USPS bag/box to mail items to yourself sort of works. Its just that you'll have to get out of line completely, go mail your packages, then get in line again. I had some long waits at Washington. Going through the line twice is not my idea of fun.

I flew from Sacramento to Phoenix yesterday. Since it was an overnight trip, I didn't check baggage on the way to Sacramento and didn't want to check it on the way back either as the wait for checked bags at Phoenix can get a little long. So I shipped all of my liquid toiletries to my home address. Just to be safe I shipped my Porta Corda II and all it's cables as well. It worked out, but I think I'm going to be checking luggage a lot more often in the future. I'll probably be going ampless for most air travel now too.

I can't even imagine sitting for 10+ hours on a domestic flight with nothing but id and some money to distract me...

Aug 11, 2006 at 5:35 PM Post #60 of 106
Ossama bin Laden was very explicit about his goal: to take away our civil liberties. Be your own judge. Whenever I fly, I always feel like I should be wearing a "Where's Ossama?" t-shirt.

ps: While they're making us restrict what we take onboard, they still don't even scan shipped parcels for explosives. That would be an "unreasonable inconvenience for business". They have budget for equipment, and at many airports they have the equipment and just don't use it for that purpose. In short, they treat us like cattle but don't check everything that goes on the plane. (I'm just talking about U.S. procedures, I don't know what the Brits and EU-nations do.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back