Wanting a DAC/AMP.... no idea where to start
Nov 10, 2018 at 6:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

cmdrmcgarrett

Head-Fier
My head is just spinning with all the different types and prices.

Let me start with what I have currently

Micca Origen+
DT770 80ohm
HE400i
Monoprice Retro Modern
Using Windows 10 with Foobar

I have a lot of FLACs, a few SACDs, lots of mp3 (yeah I know just cant find FLAC versions of some), also lower quality music that I cannot find in higher bitrate.

I am looking for the following ( I think )
Under $275-300US
USB powered via battery bank or USB via computer
DAC AMP with ASIO drivers
DSD (just in case later on)
bitrate of 32/384(again in case)
Amp to run all this efficiently (with headroom in case I get more demanding 'phones later)
Not huge sized
Coax and optical no needed really.....

Bass boost a plus.. no necessary tho.
OPAmp swapping is a HUGE bonus for me so i can change the sound.

Sound: Neutral/Warm with wide soundstage. Good low end extension. Not tinny. Ears are sensitive to highs.

Genre of music: You name it. KPop, Classical, rock, instrumental, jazz, oldies(1940-1970s), vocals. No RAP or current "music".

I found a few I think I like:

Topping D10 + ??? amp
Fiio Q1 Mark II
Topping D50

Not too keen on Schiit products imho.

I know this is long but trying to give as much info as possible.

Thank you for the help

Nov 10, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #2 of 31
Cutting out Schiit is cutting out a lot of the possible choices. What's your concern with them?

Nov 10, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #3 of 31
Have heard that the amp are a bit on the bright side from a few forums. Also quality issues with the Fulla 2 with internal shorts.

Nov 11, 2018 at 12:37 AM Post #5 of 31
Have heard that the amp are a bit on the bright side from a few forums. Also quality issues with the Fulla 2 with internal shorts.
I'm using the Magni 3 + e10k, sounds good on my Q701 and HE560, even on my already sold hyper cloud 2. I'd say the sound is quite neutral, not too bright, not too dark. Magni 3 is well built and balanced.

Nov 11, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #6 of 31
Used Chord Hugo. Can be had for $500-600 used and will punch very easily way above its weight and price range.

Nov 11, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #8 of 31
Oppo-Ha 2? There s one for sale at $200 down at marketplace, I ve heard good things about it but not listened to it myself

Nov 12, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #11 of 31
I am looking for the following ( I think )
Under $275-300US
USB powered via battery bank or USB via computer
DAC AMP with ASIO drivers
DSD (just in case later on)
bitrate of 32/384(again in case)
Amp to run all this efficiently (with headroom in case I get more demanding 'phones later)
Not huge sized
Coax and optical no needed really.....

Hey man, the Topping DX3 pro is just released on aliexpress and is on sale for singles day for like $168. It has AKM4493 dac chips (released 2018) and included headphone amp with low/high gain switch.
Edit: woops looks like singles day sales are over T__T

I think it has all you need and is very affordable, definite upgrade over the micca origen. Don't listen to the topping haters, they have to justify their more expensive gear some way right...

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #15 of 31
I had major issues with both Schiit products I owned (channel imbalance, drop outs) & ended up paying shipping charges with no product to show for it. I don't blame him for looking elsewhere.

That's nasty, but it cannot be the normal experience or they would be long out of business. I have bought two of their high shelf products and haven't had any issues for over 3.5 years - but I just speak for myself.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back