VSonic VSD5 Impressions Thread. VSonic's answer to Sony's EX1000???
Jan 19, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #258 of 1,164
Hi all I happy to see that the vsonic vsd 5 is released. I am from the once that waited for the new vsd line to release from mid 2013 when they first seen. I pass the vsd 3 Beacuse I dont like the sound signature of them. Now I bought the vsd5 because I heard that they need to have similar sound to the sony ex1000 that I tried and love. From who that already received them how is the foam tips that come with them, good like the comply tips?I am asking this because if they not good I need to buy another set of tips for them.
Sorry for my bad English.

Well, still not on par with comply but are much better than their first iteration. They are slowly getting improved with every new vsonic model. I still don't get the people asking for this coz this are foam tips - might last you 2 weeks might last you as much as a couple of months but sooner rather than later you'll have to buy new tips if you prefer foamies. So even if they were as good as the complies it's not like "Oh, they are nice, I don't have to spend more money and buy other foam tips" coz yeah, you'll still have to buy other foam tips in a few weeks. And after that you'll have to buy some more and so on - that's just how foam tips work.

Jan 19, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #259 of 1,164
Well, still not on par with comply but are much better than their first iteration. They are slowly getting improved with every new vsonic model. I still don't get the people asking for this coz this are foam tips - might last you 2 weeks might last you as much as a couple of months but sooner rather than later you'll have to buy new tips if you prefer foamies. So even if they were as good as the complies it's not like "Oh, they are nice, I don't have to spend more money and buy other foam tips" coz yeah, you'll still have to buy other foam tips in a few weeks. And after that you'll have to buy some more and so on - that's just how foam tips work.

I have different experience with foam tips, they easy to wear and you get very good seal, something that so important with in ear earphones, with 90 percent of silicone tips that I tried (over then 20 different pairs) I couldn't get good seal and feel comfortable to wear for long time. I don't need to replace them for short long of use.

Jan 19, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #260 of 1,164
So I experienced some cutting of the sound while rotating the plug but after I cleaned it with rubbing alcohol and removed a small piece of plastic left from the molding process it disappeared.
Anyway, first impressions:
The vsd5 retains a similar presentation to vsd3s, wouldn't really call it the vsonic house sound but it's apparent right away.
Vsd5 is more balanced than vsd3s with its flatter and tighter bass. That might be welcomed by some people and not as much by others who like the more prominent vsd3s' low end. Vsd5 is cooler in tone and drier, which makes it clearer than vsd3s. Vsd3s in comparison sounds warmer a bit sweeter and overall fuller. Maybe the vsd5 has a touch thinner note presentation but I'll have to spend some more time with it coz right now I'm more prone to say that's because of the warmer air in the background of vsd3s making it seem it has fuller notes rather the vsd3s actually having really that weightier notes. As I already said, vsd5 is clearer and also more articulate, which makes it a bit more aggressive in the detail department. Vsd5's treble is similarly cooler and maybe slightly thinner. It comes off a bit more aggressive and yeah, vsd5 is still prone to pointing out sibilance and is a bit splashy. The overall presentation seems to be about the same with the vsd5 maybe being a touch wider but mainly with the warm air, which makes vsd3s sound fuller, gone vsd5 sounds slightly brighter and airier.
So far vsd5 is more balanced and neutral with flatter and more level bass, cooler tone, better clarity and detail retrieval and a bit better dynamics.
[size=12.8000001907349px]I'll be burning the vsd5 in to see if any difference occurs and will be spending more time with it for sure, so maybe I'll be able share more in-depth impressions over the coming weekend.[/size]

Jan 20, 2015 at 5:36 AM Post #263 of 1,164
No. They were stolen from me.
mad.gif
By some ****** who was probably disappointed they don't sound like Beats and now has them stuffed in a drawer somewhere.
mad.gif
I'll have to get another some day.

Early impressions:

These sound rough out-of-the-box. Sibilant, a bit spikey, and with mids that are drier than balls. Balls that haven't seen an ounce of lotion since that one party in 1967. So I let them burn in while I slept, but they're still nowhere near the recommended 100 hours. Knocked some of the cobwebs off though.

Mids are still dry. Not AS, but still TOO. Just a bit, for my tastes. Sibilance has calmed down some. Nice detail retrieval. As far as bass goes, I'd need to A/B to comment regarding the quantity in relation to the GR07, but I'd say they're similar. There's some thump and rumble there when the track calls for it. Brighter than the GR07.

They carry a good amount of air, and the earphones have given me brief moments of "holy crap these do sound like the EX1000", so that bodes well for when they're burned in proper.

I'll have to disagree with raybone that these have a small soundstage - they're throwing cues out AT LEAST as far as my FX700s. The stage also has impressive height, and the phones manage to replicate the EX1000s ability to push the whole thing out in front of you to a degree.

Cable is similar to that of the GR07, but not as springy. It has a more papery texture to it. I'm loving the fit of these, makes me wish I'd tried something like this sooner. Once I put them in they ain't going anywhere. Got hit by a car crossing the street earlier and I didn't even lose my seal.

Man you are unlucky lol
GR07 vs VSD5 comparison? What do you prefer? Which IEM has more 'musicality' in your opinion?

Jan 20, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #267 of 1,164

January 20, 2015 , 4:22 pm
Delivered

SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94112 

Your item was delivered at 4:22 pm on January 20, 2015 in SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94112.

January 20, 2015 , 3:43 pm
Notice Left (No Authorized Recipient Available)
SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94112 
January 20, 2015 , 9:53 am
Out for Delivery
SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94124 
January 20, 2015 , 9:43 am
Sorting Complete
SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94124 
January 20, 2015 , 3:35 am
Arrived at Unit
SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94124 
January 18, 2015 , 7:03 pm
Arrived at USPS Facility
SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94188 
January 16, 2015 , 4:58 pm
Departed USPS Facility
NEW YORK, NY 10199 
January 16, 2015 , 4:55 pm
Arrived at USPS Facility
NEW YORK, NY 10199 
January 14, 2015 , 11:40 am
Processed Through Sort Facility
ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS) 

Origin Post is Preparing Shipment

January 13, 2015 , 1:09 am
Processed Through Sort Facility
FRANKFURT/FLUGHAFEN, GERMANY
January 7, 2015 , 4:31 pm
Acceptance
GERMANY
January 7, 2015 , 8:36 am
Acceptance
GERMANY

^
Man this sucka' sure has came a longggg way. Germany??? NYC??? Then to SF???
rolleyes.gif

Lenmeurears mofos don't know how to send 'ish direct to ma' hood it seems. LMAO

After 20min listen these has got great clarity, micro detailing esp., good air/ staging. Brighter slightly than the VSD3S but don't hear any sibilance issues/peakiness. Sound signature is mo' crunchy/crispy than overly bright/hot. Great balance. Not TOTALLY floored from what i am hearing but damn these are SWEET sounding.

Compared to the GR07 BE these VSD5'sn lack some of the former flagship's organic texture and depth but is pretty close. These are mo' 3D fo' sho.

edit: Sounds like the bigger/badder bro of the VSD3S and is just as easy to drive, maybe even slightly mo' cuz of their mo' crispy sound siggy. Sound siggy is very similar between the two. O.O

edit: 0602/6000 : P

Jan 20, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #268 of 1,164
  ^
Man this sucka' sure has came a longggg way. Germany??? NYC??? Then to SF???
rolleyes.gif

Lenmeurears mofos don't know how to send 'ish direct to ma' hood it seems. LMAO

After 20min listen these has got great clarity, micro detailing esp., good air/ staging. Brighter slightly than the VSD3S but don't hear any sibilance issues/peakiness. Sound signature is mo' crunchy/crispy than overly bright/hot. Great balance. Not TOTALLY floored from what i am hearing but damn these are SWEET sounding.

Compared to the GR07 BE these VSD5'sn lack some of the former flagship's organic texture and depth but is pretty close. These are mo' 3D fo' sho.

how do the cables feel compared to the VSD3/S? The build quality is the only thing that turned me off of the VSD5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back