VSonic VSD5 Impressions Thread. VSonic's answer to Sony's EX1000???
Jan 17, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #228 of 1,164
f irst impression is very positive. using the medium silicone tips that came on the vsd5. I have small ears and these fit very well and comfortable in my ears. I was able to insert them very deeply in my ears. sound in very smooth, listening to john melloncamp's scarecrow album. treble is is very smooth, no sibilance, mids are very nice, and lows are smooth and done nicely. no bloating at all. these are not bass not light by any means imo. looks to be another great pair of iem's from vsonic;

Jan 18, 2015 at 4:03 AM Post #232 of 1,164
Hi guys. Can someone compare the Vsd5 to the ath-im50?
The im50 has a much larger soundstage. I think I read someone saying the vsd 5 soundstage was small but intimate. That's a perfect description. The vsd5 is better sounding than the im50 imo

Jan 18, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #236 of 1,164
Hi All,

I am new posting to Head-fi.org but had been a reader of many years, don't consider myself audiophile but a music lover.  I pre-ordered the VSD5 and got it yesterday (FL, US), mine is 638/6000.  My first impression without any audiophile terms is Wow.  I am comparing it to my 2 year old GR07 MK2.   Details on cymbals and percussion are really bright compared to the GR07.  

I won't discuss if this IEM is bassy or not, but I can tell you the bass is there and plenty of it.  It all depends on how the song was produced, this IEM shines with Fleetwood Mac Dreams (yes, bass rumbles), Brian Adams It's Only Love and Firehouse's All She Wrote.

Still trying to get used to the sizzling sound of the cymbals, but so far I like it.  As usual the first recommendation is to find the right tip. Mine worked with the largest tip, all others made the IEM sound tinny.

There are my 2 cents.

Jan 18, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #238 of 1,164
Thank you for the inf. But do you know about the bass, soundstage and isolation?
The 215 has more bass and a larger soundstage IMO. They both isolate very well, the 215 by a slim margin. But the vsd5 is very clean and detailed. It really depends on what you want, I own both but would pick the vsd5 because I want the best presentation . Vsd5 has sufficient bass and presents it well.

Jan 18, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #239 of 1,164
Do you still have the ex1000? If so, looking forward to your comparisons.

No. They were stolen from me. :mad: By some ****** who was probably disappointed they don't sound like Beats and now has them stuffed in a drawer somewhere. :mad: I'll have to get another some day.

Early impressions:

These sound rough out-of-the-box. Sibilant, a bit spikey, and with mids that are drier than balls. Balls that haven't seen an ounce of lotion since that one party in 1967. So I let them burn in while I slept, but they're still nowhere near the recommended 100 hours. Knocked some of the cobwebs off though.

Mids are still dry. Not AS, but still TOO. Just a bit, for my tastes. Sibilance has calmed down some. Nice detail retrieval. As far as bass goes, I'd need to A/B to comment regarding the quantity in relation to the GR07, but I'd say they're similar. There's some thump and rumble there when the track calls for it. Brighter than the GR07.

They carry a good amount of air, and the earphones have given me brief moments of "holy crap these do sound like the EX1000", so that bodes well for when they're burned in proper.

I'll have to disagree with raybone that these have a small soundstage - they're throwing cues out AT LEAST as far as my FX700s. The stage also has impressive height, and the phones manage to replicate the EX1000s ability to push the whole thing out in front of you to a degree.

Cable is similar to that of the GR07, but not as springy. It has a more papery texture to it. I'm loving the fit of these, makes me wish I'd tried something like this sooner. Once I put them in they ain't going anywhere. Got hit by a car crossing the street earlier and I didn't even lose my seal.

s0x7wg.jpg

Jan 18, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #240 of 1,164
Cable is similar to that of the GR07, but not as springy. It has a more papery texture to it. I'm loving the fit of these, makes me wish I'd tried something like this sooner. Once I put them in they ain't going anywhere. Got hit by a car crossing the street earlier and I didn't even lose my seal.

That will be my new benchmark for fit.

- The fit and comfort of these is great.
- Ok, but if possible I'd like to clarify, can I specifically get hit by a car wearing these, and still enjoy my music in the enduing aerial escapade?
- ... What?
- Well, it's a simple question really. And we are of course taking as a given that the DAP might, or let's face it, most probably WILL get crushed, along with my femur, as the fender of the offender collides with my ... rear... ender...
- So... fit is good. Got it. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back