Vsonic GR07 MK2 - stunning new cable! | bio-cel tech IEM | now with review - see 2nd post
Sep 11, 2012 at 3:59 AM Post #556 of 982
Quote:
Have a listen with / without the amp when you get time. Keep testing both with, without, with without, Tell me if you think some of the treble, clarity and detail is lost using E11. Don't worry about which one goes louder, forget about all that, use an average volume, see if you can pick out how much E11 colours the signal with loss of clarity in the mids.
I find it's quite a lot and I'm willing to go without.

Ok. will definitely spend a whole a lot of time with and without this set-up. Will let you know. Although, my current set-up is the iPod Classic + E11. It sounds a bit beter. But with the iPhone 4S +E11, I can't tell wether there's a difference without the E11.

Sep 11, 2012 at 4:35 AM Post #557 of 982
Ok. will definitely spend a whole a lot of time with and without this set-up. Will let you know. Although, my current set-up is the iPod Classic + E11. It sounds a bit beter. But with the iPhone 4S +E11, I can't tell wether there's a difference without the E11.

It's best if you just switch between them like a mad man. :tongue_smile:

The headphone out should still work when your LOD is plugged in. (It does on my ipod mini's)

Then switch the plug quickly back and forth while one track you know well is playing.

While I'm here I may as well advertise my Cowon C2 / GR07 pairing. :D

It's the best set up I've had with these IEM's. I'm telling you guy's... sibilance that was present with my S9 rolls off with this player, there's no cringing or skipping songs because of those vocals that haunted me previously. Apparently this is because of a slightly lower output impedance C2 has over S9. (= Less sibilance) It's also the first time I can say they sound sufficiently powered without using an amp besides an older gen ipod touch I tried.

I've come to the conclusion Cowon S9 is a bad player to use with GR07. it was causing them to sound thin, edgy and sibilant especially at higher volumes. It works well with TF10 and Yamaha EPH-100 but not GR07 which weren't seeing any airtime because I was blaming the IEM, not the player. However since purchasing the little Cowon everything became clear about what S9 was doing. C2 although sounding very similar to S9 makes these Vsonics react differently. Some difference being C2's soundstage isn't quite as wide and detail isn't as obvious by a small margin, most of all they feel well powered and there's no sibilance anymore!

By all means details all there though put across a little differently.

Looks pretty basic hey? Well, I can assure you the sound quality is not to be messed with.

Here's the GR07 EQ I'm using for anyone who wants it.

80Hz - 0 - Wide
220Hz - 0 - Normal
1.4kHz - 0 - Normal
4.1kHz + 1 - Normal
9.0kHz + 2 - Normal

BBE + 8
Mach3Bass + 4
3D Surround - Off
MP enhance - On

Stereo enhance - Off
Reverb - Off

And that's it! Set that up with a C2 and I've never been happier with these IEM's, they're seeing much more time in my ears since purchasing the smaller Cowon, more so than my TF10 / S9 combination because these GR07 are so natural and pleasing to the ears.

Sep 11, 2012 at 5:11 AM Post #558 of 982
Quote:
It's best if you just switch between them like a mad man.
tongue_smile.gif

The headphone out should still work when your LOD is plugged in. (It does on my ipod mini's)
Then switch the plug quickly back and forth while one track you know well is playing.
While I'm here I may as well advertise my Cowon C2 / GR07 pairing.
biggrin.gif

It's the best set up I've had with these IEM's. I'm telling you guy's... sibilance that was present with my S9 rolls off with this player, there's no cringing or skipping songs because of those vocals that haunted me previously. Apparently this is because of a slightly lower output impedance C2 has over S9. (= Less sibilance) It's also the first time I can say they sound sufficiently powered without using an amp besides an older gen ipod touch I tried.
I've come to the conclusion Cowon S9 is a bad player to use with GR07. it was causing them to sound thin, edgy and sibilant especially at higher volumes. It works well with TF10 and Yamaha EPH-100 but not GR07 which weren't seeing any airtime because I was blaming the IEM, not the player. However since purchasing the little Cowon everything became clear about what S9 was doing. C2 although sounding very similar to S9 makes these Vsonics react differently. Some difference being C2's soundstage isn't quite as wide and detail isn't as obvious by a small margin, most of all they feel well powered and there's no sibilance anymore!
By all means details all there though put across a little differently.

Looks pretty basic hey? Well, I can assure you the sound quality is not to be messed with.
Here's the GR07 EQ I'm using for anyone who wants it.
80Hz - 0 - Wide
220Hz - 0 - Normal
1.4kHz - 0 - Normal
4.1kHz + 1 - Normal
9.0kHz + 2 - Normal
BBE + 8
Mach3Bass + 4
3D Surround - Off
MP enhance - On
Stereo enhance - Off
Reverb - Off
And that's it! Set that up with a C2 and I've never been happier with these IEM's, they're seeing much more time in my ears since purchasing the smaller Cowon, more so than my TF10 / S9 combination because these GR07 are so natural and pleasing to the ears.

Lolololol. I'm gonna strip out my gold jacks if I continue to do this like a mad man... 

I'd love to try that cowon player of yours, but unfortunately I wont be able to play my iTunes songs. :frowning2:

Sep 11, 2012 at 5:15 AM Post #559 of 982
Lolololol. I'm gonna strip out my gold jacks if I continue to do this like a mad man... 

I'd love to try that cowon player of yours, but unfortunately I wont be able to play my iTunes songs. :frowning2:

Yes you can, You select the songs / album you want from your itunes list then drag them out onto your desktop or an empty folder. Then they can be used as drag and drop. I'm pretty sure that's right? I was doing it for a while.

Try it with one track from your itunes list, drag it onto your desktop.

Sep 11, 2012 at 5:28 AM Post #561 of 982
iTunes songs mostly has drm right? Will the cowon play that?
Tapatalk.

No you can't do it I just looked it up. The itunes codec is not supported, it needs to be MP3. :mad:

If you want to play iTunes music with your mp3 player, you need to convert the iTunes music (aac/m4a/m4p) to mp3 first due to the protection.

The easiest way is to burn the music to an audio CD in iTunes and then rip it back as mp3 files. Or you may get TuneClone to help you, which works great for converting a great number of music tracks, needs no CD discs and preserves the ID3 tags well.

Sorry about that, I was thinking something else. Damn itunes man, damn them.

Sep 11, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #563 of 982
I'm happy to report that the GR07's magnificent guitar crunch carried over to the MKII. I just finished listening to System of a Down's Toxicity album...amazing. Yellowcard's Ocean Avenue sounds pretty damn good too.

I think I can now safely say I won't be returning these to Amazon.

Sep 11, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #564 of 982
I'm happy to report that the GR07's magnificent guitar crunch carried over to the MKII. I just finished listening to System of a Down's Toxicity album...amazing. Yellowcard's Ocean Avenue sounds pretty damn good too.

I think it's actually a touch better on the MKII vs the MKI.  Obviously I'm going off memory & this is subjective.. but I get the sense there's slightly better depth across the frequency range on the MKII.  The GR07 is much more sensitive to the music's recording/mixing/mastering quality & DAC than it is an amp, IMO.  I always use it unamped from my iPhone (despite having the Leckerton at arms length) and have never disappointed with the iPhone internal amp's ability to provide dynamics and volume.

I agree.. I've got a couple of customs in the pipeline.. but I don't foresee sending the MKII back to Amazon.  Even if they don't get as much when those customs arrive.. they simply check (nearly) all the boxes for me in terms of sound signature and presentation.. that it's worth keeping them for the foreseeable future.

Sep 12, 2012 at 5:47 AM Post #565 of 982

I can't believe you even considered that in the first place!

Sep 12, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #566 of 982
Probably around 100+ hours now on my MK2. I think resolution and detail retrieval has been stepped up a notch compared to my previous GR07, as i'm starting to notice artifacts in recordings I previously haven't heard. Sub-bass is there but not as deep yet...

Sep 12, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #567 of 982
Quote:

I don't buy from Itunes store but if you bought in AAC can't you just get the MP3 version as well for free after the fact. I really don't know but I would assume there's a purchase history like their apps.

Sep 13, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #570 of 982
I just joined the club as my MKII came in today. Wow. These things are freaking amazing. Straight out of the box they're almost competing with my DT990 in sound quality. I can't believe how crisp the sound is. And to think I was afraid of a lack of bass. The bass in these is beyond perfect. Nowhere near bass head level, but it's just so deep and clean. I finally found a keeper for iems :)

Sent from my Galaxy SIII

Users who are viewing this thread

Back